• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Cheese

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I love me some Bard but I don't really like them as a full-caster. I miss the days where the Bard was the jack-of-all-trades and the master of none.
Well, I wouldn't have an issue cutting their spells off at 6th if they also had the choice of all Wizard spells like in 2e. :)

I love me some Bard but I don't really like them as a full-caster. I miss the days where the Bard was the jack-of-all-trades and the master of none.

Heh. Whereas the 4E and 5E bards are the only version of the class--leaving aside the peculiar prestige-ish 1E version--that I've ever had any interest in.

CapnZapp

Legend
1) Using Hide/Sneak Attack every round for a ranged rogue.
I don't know about this particular routine, but generally I would expect a rogue to do sneak damage on EVERY round of every combat (except when all attacks miss).

At least if you run a fairly generic combat-heavy game like mine.

The Rogue is simply too fragile otherwise to justify playing that class. If you can't consistently be a top tier damage dealer, your fragility is merely a liability for the party.

At least your player is playing a ranged rogue, so she should be able to avoid taking much damage.

Don't get me started on the concept of a melee rogue in 5e: weak AC and low HP and still not substantially better damage than fighters (or ranged rogues)...

RotGrub

First Post
As the DM, your job is to cut the cheese. In other words, you really have to play RAW to make cheese out of 5e.

Swimming in heavy armor without the DM saying, "NO you start to sink" is one that comes to mind.

You go down, get healed by the healer feat, and then second wind your life back is another, but that cheese opens up the HP / martial healing debate.

G

Guest 6801328

I don't know about this particular routine, but generally I would expect a rogue to do sneak damage on EVERY round of every combat (except when all attacks miss).

I fully agree with this, but I think that's what positioning and allies (or Swashbuckler) are for.

I have three problems with the Hide/Shoot cycle:
1) In addition to granting Sneak it also grants Advantage, which is too powerful (double chance for crits and all)
2) Stabby rogues don't have a similar option, so it encourages rogues to go ranged, which I think is unfortunate.
3) It's just....cheesy.

Oofta

Legend
I fully agree with this, but I think that's what positioning and allies (or Swashbuckler) are for.

I have three problems with the Hide/Shoot cycle:
1) In addition to granting Sneak it also grants Advantage, which is too powerful (double chance for crits and all)
2) Stabby rogues don't have a similar option, so it encourages rogues to go ranged, which I think is unfortunate.
3) It's just....cheesy.

I agree. In some scenarios the rogue might be able to do the hide/attack/hide but not every single combat.

Sneak attack damage, on the other hand, should be applicable most of the time.

pkt77242

Explorer
Heh. Whereas the 4E and 5E bards are the only version of the class--leaving aside the peculiar prestige-ish 1E version--that I've ever had any interest in.

Nothing wrong with that, different strokes for different folks. My two favorite editions for Bards were 2E and 1E.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So, I can understand this from a generic combat-heavy game balance perspective. But I have trouble understanding this from a ... describing the action perspective.

"I attack you. I hit! I hide and you can't see me. I hit you again you! I hide and you can't see me. I hit you again!"

There's a fine line between game balance and farce?

In my mind, I always understood (and this may just be me!) as the classic ability going back to the backstab/assassinate - you know, a single, devastating attack from hiding to start the combat. I just have trouble with the mental mapping of the hit/hide/hit/hide mechanic.

... is hit hide hit hide in melee or ranged?

If it's ranged, that's cheese fondue range of cheesiness. If it's in melee we are now talking cheese enema...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
they really dropped the ball on a lot of the interior artwork. The rules are great, but the artwork overall could be much better. That's my fromage factor.

THANK YOU - you just made me realize something important. That horrible, horrible halfling illustration? That's not a hafling. That's a cheese golem. See the haflings don't like going on adventures due to the dangers involved and not being able to have second breakfast (What is this 2 short rest a day nonsense. It's at least 5!). So when adventure calls, they build these cheese golems (it also helps with their crippling cheese surplus which hurts the dairy farmers economically) and send them in their stead. Unfortunately, not all cheese golems are skilled artists and you get... well you saw.

... maybe I have a fever...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads