• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Cheese

That said, way back in 3E, I was working on a Greek mythological setting to follow-up the Egyptian-themed work I did on Green Ronin's "Hamunaptra" boxed set. It never got off the ground, since the D20 bubble burst, but one thing I was working on was a Pankration-based class; a mythical Greek equivalent of the monk. One power it had was the ability, as it leveled up, to grapple larger and larger creatures. (I mean, really, what's more Greek Myth-appropriate than a Heracles-type character grappling a giant or a whale-sized serpent or something?)

For 5E, it might be fun if a grapple-focused monk subclass could include something like that, but it would be a specific power of the subclass, with overt supernatural aspects, not just something any monk could do.

AngryGreek

First Post
Here's my two cents. I've been playing D&D since red box in 1978. I have played every incarnation extensively (except 4th, I don't talk about 4th). 5th is by far my favourite edition, with one exception: they really dropped the ball on a lot of the interior artwork. The rules are great, but the artwork overall could be much better. That's my fromage factor.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I must be the cheesmeister. I've been playing multi-classed characters since 1e and Half-Elven Bards (some multi-classed, some not) since 2e.

It took the D&D gods 40 years to finally put the Bard center stage. I'm happy. ^_^

G

Guest 6801328

Anything that goes against traditional AD&D aesthetics is cheesy.

I'll agree with this.

I loathe hand crossbows and rapiers.

And I'm not a fan of the exotic races, by which I mean "anything more modern that Half-orcs and gnomes". Although I will confess to a fondness for Tieflings.

G

Guest 6801328

Tieflings seem to get a pass from some people thanks to Planescape.

Oh, is that where there from? That's from an era that I skipped. I'm not sure why I give them a pass...they don't fit the archetype of what usually gets through my filters, which can probably be summarized as "Would Tolkien use it?"

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Oh, is that where there from? That's from an era that I skipped. I'm not sure why I give them a pass...they don't fit the archetype of what usually gets through my filters, which can probably be summarized as "Would Tolkien use it?"
Yea, but we all know Tolkien was into chicks with horns. There's a downside to people digging through and publishing everything you've ever written.

pkt77242

Explorer
I must be the cheesmeister. I've been playing multi-classed characters since 1e and Half-Elven Bards (some multi-classed, some not) since 2e.

It took the D&D gods 40 years to finally put the Bard center stage. I'm happy. ^_^

I love me some Bard but I don't really like them as a full-caster. I miss the days where the Bard was the jack-of-all-trades and the master of none.

pkt77242

Explorer
Yea, but we all know Tolkien was into chicks with horns. There's a downside to people digging through and publishing everything you've ever written.

Tolkien's had a tendency to doodle pictures like this in the margins

the_tiefling_by_kimonas-d8gzxd1.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads