5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
I'm toying with the idea of dropping the "Hybrid" from the name and simply using Amiraspian.

It was what the original race was called after all.

That'd require some rewording of the Cyclopes though. I guess we could rename them the Amiraspi Cyclops.

What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
Used bandit captain as a place to start - though studded leather sounds like a good armour for a rider anyway. Lance/scimitar and...what would a one-eyed person use as a missile weapon? A sling with an AoE type effect missile maybe? Also pondering - replacing Parry with some similar manoeuvre to zest combat...but what?

I'd been mulling this over and decided it'd be better to give the Griffon Rider some means to circumvent its Poor Depth Perception.

Came up with two approaches.

First Approach: Give them some special ability to focus on a target that cancels out the disadvantage. I was thinking:

Eye of the Eagle #1. The griffon rider selects a target it can see within ### feet. As long as the griffon rider maintains concentration, it can attack the selected target without disadvantage on attack rolls from its Poor Depth Perception. The griffon rider can end this effect as a free action, literally in an eye blink.​

Or alternatively:

Eye of the Eagle #2. The griffon rider selects a target it can see within ### feet. As long as the griffon rider maintains concentration, it can attack the selected target without disadvantage on attack rolls from its Poor Depth Perception. The griffon rider can end this effect as a free action, literally in an eye blink.
 If the griffon rider uses Eye of the Eagle when it's already concentrating on a target, it gains advantage on its next ranged weapon attack roll against the target.​

EDIT: Hmm, The above wording could do with some tweaks.

Eye of the Eagle #3. The griffon rider selects a target it can see within ### feet. As long as the griffon rider maintains concentration, it can attack the selected target without disadvantage on attack rolls from its Poor Depth Perception. The griffon rider can end this effect as a free action, literally in an eye blink.
 Should the griffon rider already have an Eye of the Eagle target when it uses Eye of the Eagle, the griffon rider gains advantage on its next ranged attack roll against the selected target if it still has concentration.​

Second Approach: Have its distance attacks use spell attack rolls instead of weapon attack rolls. That's the reason I specified "weapon" in Poor Depth Perception.

If the Griffon Rider had warlock like powers and fired Eldritch Blast style beams from its eye, its monocular inaccuracy would not matter.

Or we could do both!

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
yeah agree on dropping the "hybrid" - and Amiraspi cyclops

Will rework the Enworld versions…

Don't forget the corrections I raised a few posts ago.

Both the Monocular Illusion Resistance and Poor Depth Perception in its Special Traits should say "amiraspian" as that's a generic racial trait common to all amiraspians.

It's been replaced with hybrid warrior for some reason.

The Poor Depth Perception also has the wrong description. It should be "The amiraspian has disadvantage on attack rolls with a ranged weapon or melee weapon if the target is more than 5 feet away."

EDIT: Dammit! I just noticed it has the same error in the Current D&D Beyond Cyclops Chief and Young Cyclops.

Apart from that there's a few minor formatting issues.

There's some missing spaces in the Actions: its Battleaxe should have "6 (1d8 + 2)" and the Heavy Crossbow "6 (1d8 + 2)".

Its lost the linespace between the end of the Description and the "(Originally created…" credit.

Cleon

Legend

Cleon

Legend
ok, one down, more to come...

Amiraspian

I've edited all the Amiraspi (see links above) to remove/alter the use of "amiraspian hybrid" and "amiraspian cyclops" in favor of "amiraspian" and "amiraspi cyclops." The D&D Beyond versions need updating to match.

The current D&D Beyond Amiraspian still has a bunch of the old text. For example, its "Amiraspian hybrids can have any skin tone" should be "Amiraspians can have any skin tone."

The simplest approach is just copy-pasting the entire Description over from the Enworld Amiraspian.

Remove ads