5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
Cool - we can always do it bit by bit - would like to get this finished before polishing enslaver. Am also adapting Halls of Tizun Thane for 5e, which has 3 original WD FF monsters in it too.

Halls of Tizun Thane seems to be a popular subject for conversion to later editions of D&D. I've seen multiple takes on its monsters for 3E, plus a couple of conversions of the entire module. Don't think I've seen anything for 5E so far.

Intro:

"Pine Kindred are a foul form of undead/plant hybrid, created vai a dark ritual where freshly-dead or still living bodies have their blood replaced by pine sap. They live in dark pine forests and work to lure or catch unsuspecting humanoids to be converted into more of their kind. This foul procedure is carried out by the Jarl of the tribe..

They appear as sinewy humanoids with dark green-brown dry skin with prominent blackish pulsing veins, and a strong, almost overpowering, smell of conifer. They have a menacing demeanour and feral piercing yellow or green eyes. They wear remnants of clothing they wore in life."

Hmm…

The first paragraph reads a bit clunkily and I think some of it could belong in the later paragraph.

The second paragraph is a lot better, and I'll likely use most of it for the start of my take on a Description.

If and when I actually get around to it!

Cleon

Legend
The new Thrall Portrait and Resin-Hound Portrait look fine to me, I'll add them to the White Dwarf Conversion Index.

The Thane Portrait should have a scimitar according to its stats, not a regular sword, and maybe could do with a little more ornament. Maybe the same crossed breastbands or shoulderguards as the Jarl? The blade you gave the first draft Kindred Portrait is at least serrated and somewhat curvy as per the White Dwarf #21 original's "jagged sabre", although it looks too heavy to be the scimitar we gave the Thane and Pine Kindred.

As for the Jarl Portrait, can you put the current Thane Portrait's sword in its raised hand instead of it just being a fist? Apart from that I like it, the antlered headgear is a nice way to make clear it's the boss monster. If HeroForge won't allow that, I'll be OK adding it to the Index as-is.

Is there any way to give them a different expression? They've all got the identical snarling mouth.

Maybe have the Jarl be grimly tight-lipped, since he's the mastermind?

Oh, your description mentions yellow eyes as well as green, but only the resin-thrall has them. Perhaps give the Thane or Thrall amber-colored eyes just to personalize them a bit?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
ok, one thane with fancier robes, amber eyes and a proper scimitar....jewlry options are annoyingly limited

Attachments

• pinekindredthaneportrait2.png
    pinekindredthaneportrait2.png
    575.8 KB · Views: 109

Cleon

Legend
I liked the previous version of the Thane Portrait better than this one. That purple cloth seems very unsuitable for a Pine Kindred!

The different pose also help distinguish it from the Jarl.

You've inspired me to have a look in HeroForge myself to see the options.

Let's see, how about giving that Thane a Scimitar in one hand and a Single Arrow from the Gear/Bow menu in the other hand (that's the clostest I could find to a "Dart" as an option). It should have some spare Darts as Back Items, either Single Arrows on both shoulders or a Quiver (or maybe both? Two Quivers or a Quiver and a Single Arrow).

Accessories could include a Woven Headband from the Clothing/Head menu, and maybe something grisly and savage looking from Gear/Piercings?

Cleon

Legend
Oh, and when you get around to redoing the basic Pine Kindred Portrait, I suggest putting a Scimitar at its waist with Gear/Side/Sword and having it hold a Single Arrow with more Single Arrows or a Quiver as Back or Side Items.

Cleon

Legend
Trying out HeroForge, giving it Single Arrows as Gear/Side/Bow items looks clunky, especially if it has two of them, although a Quiver of darts looks fine as a Side item.

Single Arrows look better as Gear/Back Items/Bow items.

Remove ads