5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
I do like what you've done - the necrotic sap stuff is really good.

Thank!

*"hour of midnight" ...errr, is this before or after....

Standard definition is the hour from midnight onwards, i.e. from 12 at night to 1 in the morning, or 24:00 to 01:00 in the 24-hour clock.

Basically, I just liked the ring of "the hour of midnight" or "the midnight hour" (like the song!).

Will change it to "the hour after midnight" for clarity.

*...requires a living sacrifice." - I'd probably say "requires a living victim."

Was just trying to mix up the wording a bit, but "victim" works just as well. Will change that too.

*I'd describe it as a "sacred grove" not "sacrificial grove" to emphasise its other lair-like qualities I guess

I'd deliberately avoided using the term "sacred grove" since some recent editions of D&D have used "sacred" as a term certain good-aligned effect or Positive Energy related effects, similar to "radiant damage" or "holy damage", and these groves are kind of the opposite.

Think I'll change it to "unholy grove" since that makes it pretty clear it's A Bad Place.

My initial thinking was that pine kindred proper could also be freshly-dead but I think it the gradation suits yr current layout. Also makes for more interesting tactics by the kindred I imagine.

I like the idea they mainly live off dark druidic energy. They live in dark forests os definitely don't need sunlight.

That was pretty much my thinking, yes.

I like the idea of a tree-jotun as a rare boss encounter

Anyway...gotta sleep now

So did I!

I'm not intending it to be a literal "head of the gang" type of boss, but the hulking "they've got a cave troll!" kind of boss monster.

Cleon

Legend
Thank!

Standard definition is the hour from midnight onwards, i.e. from 12 at night to 1 in the morning, or 24:00 to 01:00 in the 24-hour clock.

Basically, I just liked the ring of "the hour of midnight" or "the midnight hour" (like the song!).

Will change it to "the hour after midnight" for clarity.

Was just trying to mix up the wording a bit, but "victim" works just as well. Will change that too.

I'd deliberately avoided using the term "sacred grove" since some recent editions of D&D have used "sacred" as a term certain good-aligned effect or Positive Energy related effects, similar to "radiant damage" or "holy damage", and these groves are kind of the opposite.

Think I'll change it to "unholy grove" since that makes it pretty clear it's A Bad Place.

That was pretty much my thinking, yes.

So did I!

I'm not intending it to be a literal "head of the gang" type of boss, but the hulking "they've got a cave troll!" kind of boss monster.

Okay, I've updated the the Jarl and the Thane with those changes.

Cleon

Legend
damn was just brushing my teeth. let me know about errors - will be asleep for next 6 hours anyway.

It'll likely be easier if I edit the Enslaver Enworld Version and red bold my suggested/preferred differences from the Latest Version you posted.

I'll repost the pre-edited Enworld Version here for posterity:

Enslaver
[Tiny aberration or Tiny ooze (choose one!)]
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 19 (3d4 + 12)
Speed 20 ft., burrow 10 ft., swim 20 ft.

STR​
DEX​
CON​
INT​
WIS​
CHA​
5 (–3)​
5 (–3)​
18 (+4)​
18 (+4)​
18 (+4)​
15 (+2)​

Saving Throws Int +6
Skills Deception +6, Stealth +6
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses Passive Perception 14
Languages able to speak and understand the languages of its host
Challenge 1 (200 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Dominating Pseudopod. Melee Spell Attack, +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d10+4) psychic damage, if the damage reduces the target to 0 hit points the enslaver can use Enslave (see Reactions). This psychic damage cannot reduce the target to negative hit points.

Reactions

Enslave. If an enslaver is in contact with a target reduced to 0 hit points or less by Dominating Pseudopod, the target must succeed at a DC 16 Wisdom check or be dominated for as long as the enslaver remains in contact with them. When an enslaver dominates a target, its new slave immediately regains any hit points of psychic damage they took from Dominating Touch. If the target makes the save, they must save again every round the enslaver is in contact with them.

An enslaver-dominated host gains the enslaver's immunity to being charmed or frightened and cannot be harmed by psychic damage.

Hosts released from an enslaver's control make a DC 14 Constitution save to avoid taking 1d10 psychic damage and being stunned for 1d8 rounds. Hosts that fail the first save must make a second DC 14 Constitution save to avoid an additional 5d10 psychic damage that renders them unconscious for 1 minute, and after they regain consciousness they will be stunned for 2d8 rounds. This psychic damage cannot reduce the freed host to negative hit points, but a freed host who is reduced to 0 hit points by it must succeed at another DC 14 Constitution save or die from the shock.

Split. If an enslaver controls a host with 7 or more Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma, then every 2d4+2 weeks the creature enslaves its host it splits into two new enslavers, one of which leaves the host to seek its own victim.

Description

Also known as a Puppet Lord, the enslave looks like an amoeba-like creature made of mercury about 9 inches in diameter. It normally moves by rolling or inching along like a caterpillar or worm. When it attacks, it launches a pseudopod resembling the extendable tongue of a frog.

Body-Controlling Parasites. The touch of an enslaver, regardless of body part, results in the opponent being subjected to a blast of psychic energy that attacks their consciousness. A victim who takes enough psychic damage becomes the creature's mentally dominated slave for as long as the enslaver keeps touching their skin. The puppeteered host will collect the enslaver and conceal it on their body, under clothing or other cover, allowing the enslaver to maintain continuous contact. This will be done secretly if possible.

Malevolent Masters. Enslaver-dominated people do not react to pain or similar stimuli, but otherwise act much as before. Enslavers seek to destroy good aligned creatures where possible. They do not care for a host's condition, unconcerned if their puppet is injured or destroyed. There are always other hosts. An enslaver's skill at hiding on a host means that only thorough examination will discover it, and the host will do everything the enslaver can think of to avoid exposure.

Mitosis. After an enslaver has fed off a sapient being for a few months, they will have gained enough surplus vitality to reproduce. Less intelligent creatures do not give off sufficient psychic energy to sustain an enslaver. However, at a pinch an enslaver can control an animal to escape a difficult situation or find a better host. [Scholars have postulated that enslavers' rarity is due to the long period required to reproduce, and behavior that often gives away a host's abnormal condition before reproduction is possible. (maybe cut this?)]

(Originally created by Roger E. Moore, appearing in White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) as part of the Fiend Factory D&D scenario "One-Eye Canyon" by Albie Fiore.)

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Yeah to dominated intext version. Will sleep on other idea

As for the dominated question, after mulling it over I think it better to leave that immunity out.

While dominate has some different effects to charm, according to the spells in the 5E Player's Handbook it's a special form of the charmed condition. (For example, dominate person says "It must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you for the duration").

So Dominated is, like, a subset of Charmed (a subcondition?) rather than a separate condition.

The 5eSRD does not list a source for the dominated condition in its lists, so it might be an official WotC D&D term, but it ain't from the Core Books. Dominated is not a condition in 3E, but then neither is Charmed, so that's no help.

The pertinent point is, if the Enslaver's immune to being Charmed that includes immunity to being dominated.

Cleon

Legend
It'll likely be easier if I edit the Enslaver Enworld Version and red bold my suggested/preferred differences from the Latest Version you posted.

Okay, I've edited the "Enworld Enslaver" with the changes and error-corrections I had in mind. Also added a bunch of minor wording tweaks I believe improve the clarity.

An important change is "An enslaver cannot use Dominating Pseudopod while it has a creature dominated with Enslave", the Version 7 "An ensalver cannot use Dominating Pseudopod if is has subjected a creature to Enslave" has two problems; (a) there's a slight change it would be misread as meaning it can never use Pseudopod again after it Enslaves a creature, and (b) "Enslaver" is spelled wrong!

Enslaver was also mispelled in the very first line of Version 7's Description ("Also known as a Puppet Lord, the enslave"), a typo error I think was originally my doing.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Okay - tidied up (was v. tired last night)...I think we're done...?

Attachments

• enslaver8.png
    enslaver8.png
    536.6 KB · Views: 69

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Heh...couldn't help myself. Used an Ogre Zombie template to mate a Resin-brute. The idea being an ogre is weak and common enough that pine kindred might bring it down and convert it (trolls regeneration might make for an interesting dark-plant-troll thingy). I like the idea of a dramatic effect with a giant lumbering thing in the dark woods

Attachments

• resinbrute.png
    resinbrute.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 61

Cleon

Legend
Enslaver
Tiny aberration, chaotic evil
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 18 (4d4 + 8)
Speed 20 ft., burrow 10 ft., swim 20 ft.

STR​
DEX​
CON​
INT​
WIS​
CHA​
5 (–3)​
13 (+1)​
14 (+2)​
18 (+4)​
14 (+2)​
15 (+2)​

Saving Throws Int +6
Skills Deception +6, Perception +4, Stealth +5
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, frightened
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages able to speak and understand the languages of its host
Challenge 1 (200 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2

Split. If an enslaver Enslaves a host with 7 or more Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma, then after every 2d4 + 2 weeks of enslavement the aberration splits into two new enslavers, one of which leaves the host to seek its own victim.

Actions

Dominating Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack, +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (1d12+4) psychic damage and stunned for 1 round, if the target succeeds at a DC 12 Wisdom save they take half damage and are not stunned. The psychic damage cannot reduce the target to negative hit points. If the damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the enslaver can use Enslave (see Reactions).

An enslaver cannot use Dominating Pseudopod while it has a creature dominated with Enslave.

Reactions

Enslave. If an enslaver is in contact with a target reduced to 0 hit points or less by Dominating Pseudopod, the target must succeed at a DC 14 Wisdom check or be dominated (as per the dominate monster spell) for as long as the enslaver remains in contact with them. When an enslaver dominates a target, its new slave immediately regains any hit points of psychic damage they took from Dominating Pseudopod. If the target makes the save, they must save again every round the enslaver is in contact with them. An enslaver can only enslave one creature at a time, and must release its current host before trying to enslave another.

An enslaver-dominated host gains the enslaver's immunity to being blinded, charmed or frightened and cannot be harmed by psychic damage.

Hosts released from an enslaver's control must make a DC 14 Constitution save to avoid taking 1d12 psychic damage and being stunned for 1d8 rounds. Hosts that fail the first save must make a second DC 14 Constitution save to avoid an additional 4d12 psychic damage that renders them unconscious for 1 minute, and after they regain consciousness they will be stunned for 2d8 rounds. This psychic damage cannot reduce the freed host to negative hit points, but a released host who is reduced to 0 hit points by it must succeed at another DC 14 Constitution save or die from the shock.

Description

Also known as a Puppet Lord, the enslaver looks like an amoeba-like creature made of mercury about 9 inches in diameter. It normally moves by rolling or inching along like a caterpillar or worm. Enslavers are rarely encountered in groups of more than two or three.

Body-Controlling Parasites. The touch of an enslaver, regardless of body part, results in the opponent being subjected to a blast of psychic energy that attacks their consciousness. A victim who takes enough psychic damage becomes the creature's mentally dominated slave for as long as the enslaver remains in contact. The puppeteered host will collect the enslaver and conceal it on their body, under clothing or other cover, allowing the enslaver to maintain continuous contact. This will be done secretly if possible.

Malevolent Masters. Enslaver-dominated creatures do not react to pain or similar stimuli, but otherwise act much as before. Enslavers seek to destroy good aligned creatures where possible. They do not care about the host's condition and are unconcerned if their puppet is injured or destroyed. There are always other hosts. An enslaver's skill at hiding on a host means that only thorough examination will discover it, and the host will do everything the enslaver can think of to avoid exposure.

Mitosis. After an enslaver has fed off a sapient being for a few months, they will have gained enough surplus vitality to reproduce. Less intelligent creatures do not give off sufficient psychic energy to sustain an enslaver. However, at a pinch an enslaver can control an animal to escape a difficult situation or find a better host.

(Originally created by Roger E. Moore, first appearing in White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) as part of the mini-module "One-Eye Canyon" by Albie Fiore.)

Okay, since we've finished the conversion I've deredded the Enslaver (the redded version is reposted above for posterity).

The text matches Version 8 apart from the latter's Passive Perception error.

The paragraph formatting's slightly different between the two versions: a few wider gaps between paragraphs and the Description paragraphs don't have em-dash indents at the start like the Enworld Version.

That doesn't matter though, it's the text being the same that's important.

Remove ads