5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Basically, I don't want the Chthon spamming vegetable walls to trap its opponents while its retinue slowly gnaws them to death.

My current preference is Once per Short Rest for the branches and a Recharge for the other plant protection I'm thinking about.
Yes sounds reasonable/agree

Cleon

Legend
Yes sounds reasonable/agree

Updating the Chthon.

Oh, and it needs an Armour Class. It's only wood, so it oughtn't to be that high. Maybe AC 12 or thereabouts? A wall of stone is only AC 15. I'd even go down to AC 10 like the web of a Giant Spider.

For the other action, how about:

Rise of the Undergrowth (Recharge 5-6?). Thorny vines and gnarly roots rise from the ground in a 10-foot-radius circle centered on a point within 60 feet of the chthon, turning the area into difficult terrain. The undergrowth remains aroused for 1 minute and then reverts to its natural state. When the undergrowth rises, the chthon chooses which creatures within the affected area the vines and roots will target; each target must succeed at a DC ## Dexterity saving throw or take 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage plus 3 (1d6) piercing damage and be restrained until the undergrowth returns to normal. If a target fails the saving throw by 5 or more, it also falls prone. Creatures that successfully save take no damage and remain upright. As an action, a restrained target can make a DC ## Strength or Dexterity check, escaping the restraint on a success. The undergrowth holding each creature can also be attacked (AC 12, 5 hit points, resistant to bludgeoning and piercing damage), freeing the creature if the patch of plants restraining them is destroyed.​

I decided to throw in a bit of damage just to mix it up a bit.

Did wonder about making the AoE a 20 foot radius instead of 10 foot.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
let's go with AC 12. 10 just seems too easy

20 ft is better to impede the progress of attackers. 10 ft doesn't impede much

(NB: didn't we decide speed 5 ft., burrow 5 ft.?)

I cant imagine it using Rise of the Undergrowth more than once a combat either. Also, presuming we're making the DC save charisma-based so that makes all DC saves 13?

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Oh, and it needs an Armour Class. It's only wood, so it oughtn't to be that high. Maybe AC 12 or thereabouts? A wall of stone is only AC 15. I'd even go down to AC 10 like the web of a Giant Spider.

Oh, and we need some DCs for the saving throws and the DEX/STR checks to break free.

Hmm… a spider's Web is STR-based for the burst DC, which'd be DC 14 for a Chthon. But I could also see it being CON-based for DC 15 or CHA-based for DC 12.

Decisions decisions!

let's go with AC 12. 10 just seems too easy

Works for me.

Cleon

Legend

Hmm, we could make it a chthon-declared area rather than a radius of effect. Maybe six patches of ground, each 10 ft. by 20 ft. square, that must be contiguous.

However that'd make the wording more complex and the Barrier of Branches is already rather wordy so I'm leaning towards the simplicity of a circle.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases