5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
Otherwise, it seems the section is now vanilla enough so as not to offend anyone?

I'm reluctant to speculate on other people's opinions. There might be someone who finds something offensive in it*, but I think it's vanilla enough for a reasonably average reader.

*Indeed there's bound to be. It's the internet, there's lots of people to take offense at things out there and it'd be impossible to cater to every possible objection.

Anyhow, I'd be happy to update the Amiraspian Cyclops with a Description that includes the cyclopean human & one-eyed humanoid tweak and call it a day.

EDIT: Heck, I might as well update it anyway as a blue possibility.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Just as well you're not on oath then!
Or bet money on it. Wouldn't be the first time. I remember once betting 100 guilders on the liquor being called "Jim Bean" instead of "Jim Beam" as someone suggested, mainly because I'd always thought it funny that the man was called "Bean" ever since I first laid eyes on a bottle. It didn't end well.
I like "cyclopean humanoid hybrid" since they are hybrids of a cyclops and a human.

Maybe add a "one-eyed" to the bit afterwards, such as:

Instead of a cyclops whelp, the newborn may be fully human (in which case it is eaten too), or a cyclopean humanoid hybrid (see Amiraspian Hybrid); this one-eyed humanoid is cast out of the lair once its elders realize it isn't a true cyclops.​

Also wondered whether it should be "cyclopean human" instead of "cyclopean humanoid" and whether to hyphenate the hybrid—i.e. "cyclopean-humanoid" or "cyclopean-human"—to place more emphasisis on it being part-cyclops and part-human(oid).
Er..., my knowledge of English doesn't seem to include knowing anything about using hyphens to emphasize something so I'll leave that to you.
Like so:

Instead of a cyclops whelp, the newborn may be fully human (in which case it is eaten too), or a cyclopean-human hybrid (see Amiraspian Hybrid); this one-eyed humanoid is cast out of the lair once its elders realize it isn't a true cyclops.​

Hmm, I like the above "human hybrid" version a bit more, but I'd be OK with either.
I've never liked the Amiraspians being "humanoid" but I can see why you'd want that so no biggie.

Bearing in mind the above, I'd favor: "Instead of a cyclops whelp, the newborn may be fully human (in which case it is eaten too), or a cyclopean (no human or humanoid) hybrid (see Amiraspian Hybrid); this one-eyed humanoid is cast out of the lair once its elders realize it isn't a true cyclops."

This because "humanoid" is already mentioned in the follow-up sentence and I don't think there's a use for "human" in the first in this case.

Also, shouldn't there be a comma between "eaten" and "too" in "(in which case it is eaten too)"?

ilgatto

How inconvenient
I'm reluctant to speculate on other people's opinions. There might be someone who finds something offensive in it*, but I think it's vanilla enough for a reasonably average reader.

*Indeed there's bound to be. It's the internet, there's lots of people to take offense at things out there and it'd be impossible to cater to every possible objection.

Anyhow, I'd be happy to update the Amiraspian Cyclops with a Description that includes the cyclopean human & one-eyed humanoid tweak and call it a day.

EDIT: Heck, I might as well update it anyway as a blue possibility.
Day called, bearing this in mind.

Cleon

Legend
Bearing in mind the above, I'd favor: "Instead of a cyclops whelp, the newborn may be fully human (in which case it is eaten too), or a cyclopean (no human or humanoid) hybrid (see Amiraspian Hybrid); this one-eyed humanoid is cast out of the lair once its elders realize it isn't a true cyclops."

This because "humanoid" is already mentioned in the follow-up sentence and I don't think there's a use for "human" in the first in this case.

The use was it put a bit more emphasis on the Amiraspian Hybrid as being a mix of human and cyclops, as mentioned in an earlier post.

Also, human and humanoid mean different things.

If it was humanoid twice I might get rid of one, or change it to another word. No, forget the might, as that's what I did: I changed the first "humanoid" into "human" for that draft.

Also, shouldn't there be a comma between "eaten" and "too" in "(in which case it is eaten too)"?

There doesn't have to be one as the meaning is quite clear without a comma, plus the sentence is messier with "eaten, too), or" in it:

Instead of a cyclops whelp, the newborn may be fully human (in which case it is eaten, too), or a cyclopean-human hybrid (see Amiraspian Hybrid); this one-eyed humanoid is cast out of the lair once its elders realize it isn't a true cyclops.​

That extra comma makes it a bit harder to parse.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
The use was it put a bit more emphasis on the Amiraspian Hybrid as being a mix of human and cyclops, as mentioned in an earlier post.

Also, human and humanoid mean different things.

If it was humanoid twice I might get rid of one, or change it to another word. No, forget the might, as that's what I did: I changed the first "humanoid" into "human" for that draft.
Must... read... updated... drafts... before... opening... my... mouth...

There doesn't have to be one as the meaning is quite clear without a comma, plus the sentence is messier with "eaten, too), or" in it:

Instead of a cyclops whelp, the newborn may be fully human (in which case it is eaten, too), or a cyclopean-human hybrid (see Amiraspian Hybrid); this one-eyed humanoid is cast out of the lair once its elders realize it isn't a true cyclops.​

That extra comma makes it a bit harder to parse.
Agreed, two commas do look strange.

Day, then? Let's see if we can tear away @Casimir Liber from his popcorn. :)

Cleon

Legend
Must... read... updated... drafts... before... opening... my... mouth...

Agreed, two commas do look strange.

Updating the Amiraspian Cyclops to all green.

Will decolor it and update the Index once @Casimir Liber finishes the D&D Beyond version.

Then we can move on to the monster that a mad one-eyed wizard created by forcibly crossbreeding enslaved two-foot-tall fey with seven-foot-tall orcs.

What's controversial about that?

Day, then? Let's see if we can tear away @Casimir Liber from his popcorn.

I'll call it a day then…

"You're a period of 24 hours!"

…done.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Updating the Amiraspian Cyclops to all green.

Will decolor it and update the Index once @Casimir Liber finishes the D&D Beyond version.
And there was much rejoicing.

Then we can move on to the monster that a mad one-eyed wizard created by forcibly crossbreeding enslaved two-foot-tall fey with seven-foot-tall orcs.

What's controversial about that?
Obviously nothing, coz it doesn't involve humans!

Hmm...

That's probably no longer true for all races lamps are now equal and have a character arc that prevents them from dying ... sorry, cutting off rant.

I'll call it a day then…

"You're a period of 24 hours!"

…done.
I like how you call me "it". Very PC, old boy!

In other news: Will the mouseman require whipping up a 5E brownie first?

Or is it to be Amiraspian cyclops young, chief, and Amiraspian hybrids and griffon riders first?

Cleon

Legend
I like how you call me "it". Very PC, old boy!

Oh, I was calling It a period of 24 hours, not you. It being "A Day," since the duration of Earth's rotation relative to the Sun is genderless.* :p

* In English at least. If I were writing in German, I'd be calling Him a period of 24 hours, and those hours would be feminine.

In other news: Will the mouseman require whipping up a 5E brownie first?

That isn't necessary for the conversion, so I wouldn't bother.

If we did do a Brownie it wouldn't be in this thread, since it's a standard D&D creature in older editions rather than a monster from White Dwarf magazine.

Or is it to be Amiraspian cyclops young, chief, and Amiraspian hybrids and griffon riders first?

Let's do the other Cyclopes and then the Hybrids.

We'd discussed a few ideas for the Chief, so doing "him" first makes the most sense to me.

Will start a couple of Working Drafts.

Cleon

Legend
Amiraspi Cyclops Chief
Large fey, chaotic evil
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 95 (10d10 + 40)
Speed 30 ft.

STR​
DEX​
CON​
INT​
WIS​
CHA​
20 (+5)​
13 (+1)​
18 (+4)​
11 (+0)​
11 (+0)​
16 (+3)​

Saving Throws WIS +2
Skills Perception +2
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages Giant, Gnoll, Goblin
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2

Monocular Illusion Resistance. The cyclops has advantage on saving throws against illusions that include visual elements it can see.

Poor Depth Perception. The cyclops has disadvantage on attack rolls with a ranged weapon or melee weapon if the target is more than 5 feet away.

Actions

Multiattack. The cyclops chief makes three attacks: two with its claws and one with its bite; or it makes two attacks with its glaive or javelins.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d6 + 5) slashing damage.

Glaive. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit (with disadvantage if reach more than 5 ft.), reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (2d10 + 5) slashing damage.

Javelin. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions

Aggressive. As a bonus action, the cyclops can move up to its speed towards a hostile creature that it can see.

Hypnotic Stare. As a bonus action, the cyclops's eye becomes a twisting vortex of colors and it stares at a creature within 60 feet. If the target can see the cyclops it must make a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature becomes charmed for 1 minute. While charmed by the stare, the creature is incapacitated and has a speed of 0. The effect ends if an affected creature takes any damage, or if someone else uses an action to shake the creature out of its stupor.
 A target that successfully saves is immune to this cyclops's stare for the next 24 hours.

Description

The largest and strongest Amiraspi cyclopes, usually around 10 feet tall, become chiefs of their tribe. Cyclops chiefs rule by brute force and savagery, seizing whatever takes their fancy and beating down any opposition. Most are far-sighted enough to see humanoid monsters such as gnolls or goblins as minions to be conquered rather than just food.
 An amiraspi cyclops chief keeps the best treasure and equipment for its personal use, so might possess a shield or usable magic item.
 See Amiraspi Cyclops for further information.

(Originally created by Albie Fiore; appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) as part of the Fiend Factory mini-module "One-Eye Canyon", edited by Albie Fiore.)

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Amiraspi Cyclops, Young
Medium fey, chaotic evil
Armor Class 12 (natural armor)
Hit Points 37 (5d8 + 15)
Speed 30 ft.

STR​
DEX​
CON​
INT​
WIS​
CHA​
14 (+2)​
13 (+1)​
16 (+3)​
9 (–1)​
8 (–1)​
11 (+0)​

Skills Perception +1
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Giant, Gnoll, Goblin
Challenge 1 (200 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2

Monocular Illusion Resistance. The cyclops has advantage on saving throws against illusions that include visual elements it can see.

Poor Depth Perception. The cyclops has disadvantage on attack rolls with a ranged weapon or melee weapon if the target is more than 5 feet away.

Actions

Multiattack. The cyclops makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws; or it makes two attacks with rocks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) slashing damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.

Bonus Actions

Aggressive. As a bonus action, the cyclops can move up to its speed towards a hostile creature that it can see.

Description

A young amiraspi cyclops resembles an exceptionally large and muscular human with a single eye in the center of its brow. This eye has a clear sea green pupil and appears eerily normal, but is considerably larger than a human eyeball. The creature's facial features are crude and ugly, with a shock of coarse black-green hair atop its head and an overly large and muscular jaw. Its fingernails and teeth are so thick and sharp they serve the brute as weapons.
 Young cyclopes are aggressively vicious and capable combatants but lack the Hypnotic Glare of a fully grown cyclops; an amiraspi cyclops only gains this monocular power when it matures into adulthood.
Cyclopean Childhood. These monsters are born from pregnant human women captured and cursed in the cyclopes' den (see Cursed Births in the Amiraspi Cyclops entry). Young amiraspi cyclopes are normally only encountered inside or very close to an Amiraspi Cyclops Lair and are often accompanied by adult cyclopes.
 An infant amiraspi cyclops is indistinguishable from a cyclopean-human hybrid of the same age (see Amiraspian); both look exactly like human infants apart from the single eye. Amiraspi have similar lifespans to humans, but mature faster. When an infant cyclops approaches puberty its differences to a hybrid become obvious. Its growth rate accelerates and its jaws and hands become inhumanly enlarged and muscular, with teeth and nails developing into deadly claws and fangs. The infant has become a young cyclops with the game statistics presented above. By comparison, an amiraspian of similar age is considerably smaller and looks like a heavyset human teenager with a cyclopean face and maybe a green tint to its hair.

(Originally created by Albie Fiore; appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) as part of the Fiend Factory mini-module "One-Eye Canyon", edited by Albie Fiore.)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases