(5E) D&D/Moorcock Multiverse Inspiration PBP

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Selythin flew toward the river in the sky.

The water got closer and the mountain that had been below receded into the clouds.

It was a boat.

Selythin felt as if he were descending toward the small craft even as he tried to maintain his altitude.

He sniffed. The air here smelled of smoke.

He could see a lone figure lying down flat inside the little rowboat. A black sword was also lying there, next to the person.

It looked like the figure was waving and Prince Selythin could hear laughter wafting through the smokey air.

Selythin chose not to question the madness that was happening to him. Certainly, powerful magics were involved, but he believed that the creature on the boat could provide some answers, if not guidance to him.

He put his shield on his back, and landed about 15 feet from the figure. Laconically, he said simply “You have summoned me, and I have come”

CharlotteOz

Explorer
The lady who was somehow old and young at the same time ran after Alan Oake, out into the storm. She was still huffing and puffing into her make-shift hanky.

(Confusion #2. This doesn't change anything either, but I forgot the lady already said her name was Page. Oops! 😬)

"M-my-my name's P-p-page...but that's not important! I'm sorry princess Aloe! I shouldn't have gotten upset about that... Oh no! The poor little humans! I-I-I don't know what I can do, but maybe lead you all away from here b-back home..."

Water was rushing through the streets. Panicked people were screaming and running from their homes. Many buildings down main street were already collapsing from the crushing waves of water. Large chunks of debris floated by.

Men and women were carrying children to higher ground. It seemed most of the town was heading for the cemetery, which stood on a large hill overlooking town.

Just then they heard a cry. "Help!" Some burbling. "Heeellp!"

It was the burly bully from before. He was clinging to the lip of the well. Alan could only see his hands clinging to the stone.

Water was rushing so intensely over him he was about to be lost inside.

Alan hesitated for a moment, and then felt a stab of guilt at the fact that he had hesitated. The man was a bully and a jerk and an awful person, and Alan hated how much all that reminded him of himself.

All the same: he was a person in need, and he had his decent moments, and more than anything, Alan couldn't just let him die.

And so, Alan ran towards him, hand outstretched to try and keep him from going under.

JharyOConnah

Explorer
"Chaos..." the man said in response to Ralph Crenshaw, "Please, I can barely stand. The...plan was to run away with my dear, sweet Ursala...But...I don't think I'm long for this world...Please approach and kneel, Dreaming Knight. You have been chosen by the Grail to succeed me..."

He winced again, still resting on the pile of soggy haystacks. He held the glowing sword up with his right hand. As he raised the blade the barn was illuminated a bit more.

Shadows played against the rafters, but Ralph caught something else out the corner of his eyes. There was a small open window over the loft of the barn and the Dreaming Knight spied something sinister approaching through the air.

Lit by a flash of lightning, it looked like a beast from the depths of the abyss, half bear and half lion with the wings of a vulture.

It would be inside the barn within moments.

Eovin didn't see the small glade ahead of them until the horses had already entered it.

Jim and the pixie heard a high-pitched squeak as the light flew up above the center of the small clearing in the woods.

Laynard's son screamed as the horses stopped suddenly. "No! Pop!"

The pack animals grumbled too. "Whoa, lady! Scary things up there!" "Boss!? Uh oh! Who's gonna feed us now?"

Up ahead, the area bright because of the mysterious ball of light, was a ring of mushrooms in the middle of a little tree-less hill.

Also, in the middle, were the two scary, chaos creatures with strange animalistic features. Laynard was lying on the ground, a dagger in the grass near his hand.

(Roll for initiative!)

Selythin landed on the bank of the weird river, slightly ahead of the rowboat that drifted downstream through the churning water.

The smoke was thicker down here. The elven prince could see burned trees scattered about. Down river, in a great distance, was some sort of large stone keep or ruin. Fires burned in that direction and Selythin assumed that's where the smell came from.

The mountain above, and the realm the prince knew as home, were gone. He definitely wasn't in "kansas" anymore.

Yet still, the voice that called out, that particular chuckling, Selythin recognized it.

"Hahaha. Cousin! You've managed to survive too, eh? What a stroke of luck for the both of us... Can't say I've seen a single other living soul since I narrowly escaped."

It was the elven prince's cousin, Zenythin. He stood in the little boat waving and smiling a sarcastic smile as it flowed past.

"Not sure where we might be, though. Don't recognize any landmarks at all..." He spoke louder and louder as the rowboat gained distance.

He kept laughing as the boat continued along, carried by the current, getting further and further away.

JharyOConnah

Explorer
The burly bully in trouble blubbered at Alan as he approached. "Oh-- Please! Halp!"

The water was hard to fight against as Alan crossed the square toward the well.

(Gain an inspiration for choosing to help anyway, even though this guy's a dick. I need two STR ability checks. One to fight the current. One to assist pulling the jerk outta the well. 🤞)

JharyOConnah

Explorer
(Eovin gains an inspiration as well for being incredibly brave in helping the dumb humans.)

The horses charged as per instructions, but not before Jim leapt from the side of the wagon and ran at one of the two beasts.

He struck with his shortsword. Black blood clung to the side of the blade. The beast was hurt.

One of the horses connected as well, just as Eovin flew up and poison sprayed, smashing into the same strange beast, crushing it into wisps of shadow and muck beneath its hooves. (All damage going to the same monster kills it. One remains.)

The remaining chaos creature turned and clawed at Jim, drawing bright red blood from his arm.

Laynard's son, though, was undeterred, holding his ground against the thing. He slashed at the beast again, but this time missed.

(Into the next round now. Jim was first and missed. Then Eovin and horses go. Then the last monster.)

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Unfortunately, Eovin's second puff of magical poison didn't faze the last remaining creature.

The horses continued to kick at the thing as well, but struggled as they were still attached to the wagon. One of them managed to connect without much result.

The damage only seemed to make the chaotic beast more angry. It batted wings, which the pixie puzzled over, swearing they weren't there before, and flew into the air.

That gave Jim an opportunity to strike. The caravan leader's son drew more black blood, but the thing made it up to Eovin swiping at her small frame.

The little pixie flew barely out grasp.

Since the creature was in the air, and out of reach, Jim dropped to his knees to attempt to help his father. "Nooo! Pop! Why!?" (The young man sucks at medicine and fails.)

The situation didn't look good.

The little ball of light still hung above the mushroom ring on the hill.

(I'm going fast because I'm chilling at home tonight. No pressure to anyone, but I'll probably keep my 👁 here for a few hours if you ARE inspired and want to keep progressing tonight. 😁)

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Lit by a flash of lightning, it looked like a beast from the depths of the abyss, half bear and half lion with the wings of a vulture.

It would be inside the barn within moments.

Ralph cinched the last of his armor into place and readied his crossbow, moving so that he was between the injured man and the approaching beast.

"We're about to be attacked, dude," Ralph said, dropping to one knee and taking aim. "If you got something to say, say it quick."

OOC: Ralph is Ready to fire at the beast if it enters the barn with hostile intent. He then drops his crossbow and gets his shield into position.

Last edited:

Remove ads