D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
If Epic Players/DMs can handle the complexity they sure as hell can handle the simplicity.
Absolutely. And it is a suggestion I may copy. I will just make sure I explain somewhere (the Introduction to my Bestiary) what it means when magic is listed as a resistance. Unless you mean the simple take half damage (which you could, but that is different than the trait "Magic Resistance")
For better or worse I'm going to try my best to simplify the epic stat blocks as much as possible.
I think that is a good idea and I have the same goal. One thing I did was make Teleport a type of speed like it was in 4e. That way it doesn't have to be an action. Another thing I am doing to simplify the stat block is to get rid of legendary actions. In general I love them, but they take up a lot of space. Instead, I am giving my epic monsters multiple turns per round instead, a full: action, movement, bonus action, and reaction for each turn they have. Achieves a similar effect, with much less space. Giving me more space to have interesting traits or actions.

dave2008

Legend
I like that Desert Leviathan monster you cooked up, very nice. Colossal Trait seems like something obvious DMs would take for granted. Thick Skin (Damage Reduction) could be added after Hit Points. Magic Weapon and Siege Monster (as with Colossal Trait) could probably be removed or folded into a note on Colossal size monsters in the rules.
I will have colossal and titanic sizes, but I believe a size isn't enough to capture everything involved with creatures of those sizes. So, each has a corresponding trait associated with that size. The a general rules associated with that trait, but each monster is a little different and needs some specific rules. Though I could definitely see folding in siege monster into that trait (or possibly the size).

Besides, you would be surprised how many comments I've gotten on things I think would be taken for granted that people like to rules actually written down.

dave2008

Legend
Working on my own stat-blocks for such monsters and I'm try to cut them down to the absolute basics. There is a lot of redundancy in 5E stat blocks (quick example you have a listing for Resistances, but then under traits they add 2 lines to explain Magic Resistance instead of just putting 'Magic' as one of the Resistances).
As I previously mentioned I am adding "condition resistances" to my immortal tier stat blocks. Since that category is not RAW and already has new guidelines, I think it would make since to add "magic" as a tag there. They are both based on giving you advantage. Another trait removed from the clutter!

Hey there this thread is awesome I’m really happy I found it. Do you mind if I ask what your prosses is? I’m trying to think of stats and abilities for a greater god of murder, assasination, assault, violence and treason to use as the final boss of my campaign. The only thing I’ve been able to come up with is that he should be able to magically apply any poison that has existed to his weapon as a legendary action. That aside thought what you have put up already has been a great help to me so thank you.

Hey there this thread is awesome I’m really happy I found it. Do you mind if I ask what your prosses is? I’m trying to think of stats and abilities for a greater god of murder, assasination, assault, violence and treason to use as the final boss of my campaign. The only thing I’ve been able to come up with is that he should be able to magically apply any poison that has existed to his weapon as a legendary action. That aside thought what you have put up already has been a great help to me so thank you.

Maybe his weapon (spear?) is made from frozen poison and can fight of its own accord like a snake while the god strangles the life force from his victims. His golden hands detach like a necklace of strangulation and that's when he casts insidious spells that can turn allies against each other or turn your shadow...into a Shadow!

tethtoril

Villager
Hi I'm thinking of contributing to this if am allowed to. Is there a discord server where you share stuff/discuss this or is everything through this thread? Also I wanted to convert it to use on 5e.tools, but I wanted to ask permission if you're happy for me to do that. Thanks.

dave2008

Legend
Hi I'm thinking of contributing to this if am allowed to. Is there a discord server where you share stuff/discuss this or is everything through this thread? Also I wanted to convert it to use on 5e.tools, but I wanted to ask permission if you're happy for me to do that. Thanks.
Absolutely! Unfortunately there is no discord, but that is something I should probably set up. You can absolutely convert these if you like (not sure what 5e.tools is though). However, if you are using an automated system to convert these, please note that these monsters don't follow the 5e standard 100%. The "epic bonus" was added to attack and ability checks. And the stats by CR we different than the DMG as well. If you use the standard rules, it is no big loss. In fact, I don't use these custom design guidelines anymore and I just use the 5e/DMG standard.

However, this is a bit of an old thread as I have moved on to a new set of design guidelines for my deity level monsters (and PCs). They are only in the beginning stages though (ASECNSION).

dave2008

Legend
Well, first I always try to start with something similar. You could look at Myrkul (near the bottom of that post) as it is a similar deity. Regardless, I try to find 2-3 things that make that god stand out. Also:

Traits:
  • Needs a way to get out of conditions.
  • give it a trait that keys of an successful action. Something that emphasis what the god is good at. So maybe a recharge bonus that turns a hit to a critical or adds poison damage or something similar.
  • Traits that speak to the gods domains/portfolios
Actions:
  • Melee attack
  • Ranged attack (this is a must)
  • Recharge attack (themed to what the god is good at)
  • add some conditions, damage usually isn't enough at this level
Legendary Actions:
  • A to move / escape from being surrounded. Could simply be a teleport action.
  • Some interesting options that are not just damage.
That's a start

Remove ads