5E: Fifth Edition Monster Variants Inspired by Fourth Edition Sources

Cleon

Legend
Ok....actually "Beast Shaman" is ok. Or mayb "Spirit Shaman"

Of those two titles I prefer Beast Shaman.

Getting back to the monster, shouldn't a 5E version of a Shaman explicitly have some kind of Spellcasting?

I'm also thinking we might want to aim a little higher than Challenge 5 since our Ghuuna conversion is Challenge 7.

It feels a trifle off for a "brutal power rules" society like gnolls follow to have a weaker member with the authority to geas a stronger member.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
That's a good point re CR (going with beast shaman). Ok so buffing it...could add something like Cambion's trait for its AC?

Fiendish Blessing. The AC of the gnoll beast shaman includes its Charisma bonus. (?)

it doesn't get resistances so that means a large buff to hp I guess (going to 18d8 + 36 gets us to 117hp)

Cleon

Legend
That's a good point re CR (going with beast shaman). Ok so buffing it...could add something like Cambion's trait for its AC?

Fiendish Blessing. The AC of the gnoll beast shaman includes its Charisma bonus. (?)

It seems easier to give it a shield like a regular Gnoll for another couple of points of AC.

it doesn't get resistances so that means a large buff to hp I guess (going to 18d8 + 36 gets us to 117hp)

Well it'd help to have a rough idea what Challenge you'd like it. I'm thinking only slightly higher than a Ghuuna, so either CR 8 (if you want a +3 Proficiency Bonus) or CR 9 to 12 (for +3).

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Ok buffed it like this to get to CR 6, but the hyena spirit bonus action could be counted to make it CR 7 I guess

Attachments

• gnollshaman.jpg
    gnollshaman.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 49

Cleon

Legend
Ok buffed it like this to get to CR 6, but the hyena spirit bonus action could be counted to make it CR 7 I guess

Hide armour would be AC 13 with its DEX 13, or 15 with a shield. It'd be AC 16 if it had the equivalent of barkskin or chainmail.

I put those figures in CR Calculator and it came out to Challenge 7 not 6 even without the Hyena Spirit.

The Hyena Spirits are so wimpy at CR 1/4 they don't have much of an impact on the CR.

What Average DPR did you use? I reckon it'd be 45 for for a Multiattack of Bolt of Ruination (39) plus quarterstaff (6 from 1d8+2).

Cleon

Legend
Yeah I think I used 45. Maybe I didn't do some add right. Anyway, if you insist happy to make it more mundane with hide armour and shield

It doesn't really make much difference to me, it's the final AC that matters.

If you'd like to give it a special trait to account for the AC I'm game. It would have the advantage of letting the Beast Shaman have both hands free if it doesn't need a shield, allowing the use of 2H weapons.

Should you go for that, I'd rather pick an AC and then arbitrarily set the trait to match.

Maybe follow the barkskin formula, like so?

Demonhide. A beast shaman's skin is covered in shaggy fur and supernaturally tough, the shaman's AC can't be less than 16[?], regardless of what kind of armor it is wearing.​

I'm not keen on the Fiendish Blessing approach because it has stacking issues. A Cambion with a high Charisma and good armour can have an AC higher than 5E is designed for. The Monster Manual sample has AC 19 with its scale mail, if it had a shield that would be 21, if it had full plate and a shield it would be 23. Imagine what it could have with a better Charisma and magic armour!

Remove ads