D&D 5E 5E imbalance: Don't want to play it

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm being constructive by criticizing how the game works.

As I think Umbran already tried to explain, there is a significant difference between "criticism" and "constructive criticism". You seem to think criticism alone is inherently constructive. It's not. You're frequently missing the "constructive" part of it. And at this late stage of the playtest cycle, non-constructive criticism stands a zero percent chance of altering the game in any way. If designers are even exposed to your criticism at all , it will be summarily dismissed if it's not constructive in nature. And as your stated goal is to "rescue" your playstyle from Next, I'd think you'd want to employ the type of critical tone most likely to get a change in the game - and that tone is constructive in nature, not merely critical.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
As for the tactical melee fighters & simplistic casters, I will posit the following.

I have two groups that I play the playtest with - one is full of brand new to D&D (never rolled a d20-new) younger players, the other group is full of very intelligent adult coworkers (they all have engineering degrees, and two of them are die-hard warhammer players) who have been playing D&D since at least 3E.

For group A (younger group) I will veto anything too complex for them - when we recently rebuilt the characters, in the group lies a sorcerer, a wizard, a druid, and a cleric (also have a paladin & a monk). Two of the players switched away from fighters and to spellcasters (druid & cleric) because the spellcaster options I presented without modification from the rules were less tactically complex than the fighters they had. The warhammer players in my second group, tactical players to a fault, when presented with the classes, picked the fighter, for they were the tactically most combat-complex class (most choices per combat) in the game.
Are you saying there's no simple fighter any more?

Last edited:

Thyrwyn

Explorer
As for the tactical melee fighters & simplistic casters, I will posit the following. . . The warhammer players in my second group, tactical players to a fault, when presented with the classes, picked the fighter, for they were the tactically most combat-complex class (most choices per combat) in the game.
Good news indeed :) Fighters have always been my favorite class to play and I am a recovering Warhammer addict myself. . .

I didn't originally respond to this because I agreed with someone else's analysis. The problem as mentioned by another poster is that combat in a turn based game is a snap shot. If a Rogue can get a backstab by attacking from the back, there will be very few rounds when they don't get a back stab. mechanical bonuses based on facing will almost always be applied since you can literally walk around a target without any penalties (unlike 3E and 4E where you would get an OA to the face for trying it).
The reason there isn’t OAs due to movement around an enemy is because fine movement that provokes does not work without minis, so it has to be simple.
One of the assumptions of a tactical module is more granular OAs. When 2e added more tactics, OAs were one of the first things added, this should be the case here as well. Moving away from someone’s front should provoke an OA (or the character could have the opportunity to forge the OA to turn).

As I showed above without altering the base combat rules, a tactics module with facing would not really add much to the game,
The whole point of rules modules is altering the base combat rules. Or rather, adding to the rules.
If the game is designed to be modular, the designers should be able to change how movement, OAs, and the like work without needing to change classes.

Think of it this way, classes refer to “Advantage”. The rules regularly refer to “Advantage”. But Advantage is only defined in the core rules and class options don’t modify what Advantage does. It’s basically a keyword. Which makes it modular. So you could strip out the “roll twice” mechanic and make it a +2 without affecting any classes. The game is unchanged.
5e makes it easy. You could dump d20s and go with 3d6 instead and the game would hum along with only one or two minor hiccups (in this instance, Advantage could be adding a d6, and stack).

you would almost always get the bonuses from your preferred attack position because of the way combat is structured. You would encourage movement, but it would end up being "move behind your target for the best bonus." every round and every character and creature in the combat would almost always have the 'best' bonus.
The constant sliding and shifting of 4e often didn’t add much either. There was a lot of movement for movement’s sake. Just because the designers didn’t want the static fights of 3e where everyone planted and full attacked (which were boring).

I think 5e could have a nice middle ground in movement between the rooted combatants of 3e and the dancing fights of 4e. Having opponents run around enemies works, so you have to be in the right square to get a bonus not just beside your enemy. And having enemies disengage and move across the battlefield also works. And positioning matters, so you fight with your back against a wall or some terrain.

I don’t think we need the slow facing of Battletech where turning eats movement. You should be able to 360 as part of movement. And, as mentioned before, you might be able to spin using your reaction (or as part of your reaction).

In short it really doesn't add much to the game and just complicates things up.
The same could be said for ANY addition to the game that is not personally desired.

But what does it add to the game?
1) Defensive positioning matters
2) Offensive positioning matters
3) Movement encouraged.
4) Encourages tactical thinking
5) Encourages teamwork

Does it complicate things? Yes. But that’s the point. Tactical combat is by definition more complicated than Theatre of the Mind. In this case, complexity is a good thing.

For the most part things like trip and bull rush are very situational and most of the time not worth using. Daze is extremely powerful and would turn into a replacement for your normal attacks. None of them so far would promote any kind of 'tactical' thinking or play.
I was just brainstorming and giving examples. The balance is irrelevant as it’s just proof of concept: the names just make it easier than if I used <generic condition X> and <vague penalty Y>. Replace “daze” with a condition equivalent to “prone” or “forced movement”. But nastier penalties might come with penalties making them harder to pull off but thus more satisfying when they work.
There’s lots of options. Forced movement, penalties to attacks, penalties to AC, penalties to saves, penalties to movement, grabbing, tripping, etc. There could even be a “power attack” option where you take a penalty to attack to deal more damage.

I doubt the base game will have the combat maneuvers at all. Those kind of powers tend to hinder creativity and free form combat. It’s hard to justify allowing a character to spontaneously trip an enemy when there are a dozen powers that prone: if they wanted to trip they should have taken a tripping class feature.
The maneuvers really fit an “advanced” game, and also the Tactical Module. Trip and bull rush are situational, but you can use them whenever you want without the penalty of 3e. (And, really, trip is pretty darn useful in most situations.) So when they are useful you have them at your disposal. Plus, having them be situational keeps them manageable so you don’t have a dozen options each round dragging combat to a crawl.

And I would very much argue they promote “tactical” thinking. Being able to push an enemy at will (in place of damage or at a penalty to attack) means you can set-up a flank or take advantage of the terrain. Knocking down or immobilizing a fast opponent allows slower allies to get close. This is the definition of tactical teamwork.
And, as they’re universal powers, everyone at the table knows them. This was a problem with the tactics of 4e where you didn’t always know from session to session what your party member’s powers were.

Basically, instead of having two dozen individual powers with every possible combination of conditions and actions (of which you can pick five) you have a half-dozen options you can stack with a basic attack, building powers on the fly.

The Wizard and other casters can already add conditions with their spells without sacrificing any damage at all, so it would only allow other classes to play catch up.
Casters can do that a certain number of times per day. But sometimes they’re lacking a condition or effect they need. And certain subclasses fighters can impose the conditions without penalty as well, so there’s no difference there. It’s beneficial to have a power that allows you to do it, but you have the options if you lack a specific ability.

The classes are (almost) balanced as is. Adding more options and powers to only some classes make them better than the spellcasters. It unbalances the game. So any additions in the Tactical Module would have to be independent of class and applied universally.
Similarly, the universal powers would apply to monsters. This gives monsters tactical depth without rewriting the entire Monster Manual.

Plus, the modules should work independent of content so it can be used with classes released much later in the edition's lifespan, in campaign settings where certain classes are missing, and the like. It cannot just be “the Fighter Module” because that will mean people playing in a world where everyone has some magical talent (and no “fighters” exist) cannot also have a tactical game.

Not really a tactical option because they would have to give up damage which would reduce their effectiveness. It would turn into a non-choice most of the time.
It’s strategic play. Giving up personal damage one round to allow your allies to do more damage or avoid damage taken.
Really, this is no different from 4e. You have powers that just did damage, powers that did less damage but imposed lesser effects, and powers that did no damage but imposed harsher effects. Only instead of choosing one and having to stick with that choice every combat, you can pick-and-choose each round. This is taking that same thing and breaking it into component pieces allowing far, far more options with far less space.

Sometimes it will just descend into always picking damage. The best status effect to impose on a creature is “dead”. But good tactical play should also involve the environment and terrain, and a good DM (provided with solid advice) can encourage the use of maneuvers.

It also doesn't promote any reason to play a specific class or race. You end up with the class or race being an afterthought because everyone can do the same thing.
Again, the Tactical Module should be independent of class and race.
I don’t even think there should be class-specific options, as that would mean if the DM wanted to play a tactical game you HAD to pick from certain subclasses or builds. Play style should not limit build choices.

However, class and race are not an afterthought because the existing options still work. They can do everything they could before, only now they have a few more options. Enough to provide meaningful options each combat round.

Roles aren't really tactics, they are more like jobs that you fulfill. Tactics is more the idea of choosing from different options each round to work toward a goal. You can give a knight an aura that forces enemies to attack them, without it being a choice at all.
Yes, which is why it could/should be a slightly different module, albeit one that should work with the Tactical Module and can be paired together to add a 4e feel to Next.

Ichneumon

First Post
Typically, constructive criticism takes place in a context where the critic's goal is to help their subject make a better product or performance. That's why criticism from the likes of film or TV critics is generally neutral rather than constructive - their job is to list what they liked and didn't like, then provide a recommendation. People like the forum posters here are in a position, albeit a very informal one, of helping WotC make the best new D&D possible. So it's the right place for constructive criticism.

Fundamental to the process is remembering that 5e is being made by human beings, who appreciate encouragement for the good parts of their work, and would prefer negative commentary to be clear & to the point so they can address it. Hyperbolic remarks concerning how dismissive the design team is of particular gamers, game styles or game aspects have no place in constructive criticism, and should be omitted.

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
Lokiare, your whole premise is that 5e contains 'imbalances' that make you not want to play it.

All I've heard so far are system differences, not imbalances. Just becuase D&D Next has things that are different from 4e, does not mean they are imbalanced. I'd love to hear and discuss some actual imbalances you percieve are in the game. Things like classes doing too much damage, spells that are too powerful, builds or combinations that are abusive and overpowered, etc.

Nope. You are mischaracterizing my argument. Go back and read it again. Let me rephrase it for you to make it clearer (I know I am not the best communicator):

Wizards have more flexibility than Fighters, not only this but they can deal the same amount of damage as fighters (which is one of the things that Fighters are supposed to be good at). In addition they can shut encounters down without dealing damage, just recently I did the math on the Web spell in the last public packet. If not changed low level casters will be able to shut down encounters that don't have fire for 2-4 rounds. At higher levels it will be 4-6 rounds.

I could care less if 5E is different from 4E. I'm sure there is some way to balance Vancian casting with at-will attacks (Fighters vs. Wizards in 5E), however they aren't doing it in 5E from what we can see.

You also seem to be assuming 4th Edition contained no 'imbalances'

4th Edition was rife with powers that were clearly overpowered 'A+' choices.
And as a DM, I consider combat grind, impotent monsters, indestructable characters, and near limitless in-combat healing to be quite imbalanced.

No where did I say 4E didn't have imbalances. It had less imbalances and was harder to break than editions previous to it. It was a step forward to the kind of game I want to play. It was not the end goal.

What does complexity have to do with imbalance?

Also, when comparing control of the cosmic forces of nature to the hard training of becoming a melee/ranged combatant, there should be a higher level of complexity. I don't want power riddled fighters that act like wizards unless they are a fighter/mage type. I want fighters who fight.

This is another mischaracterization. I am talking about flexibility and the ability for casters to outmatch other classes with their spells. So their emergent property is that they can do anything in the game where a non-caster character can only do a few things.

We don't have to have power riddled fighters. We can have a simple fighter that gets static bonuses right alongside a Fighter that can expend, burn, or whatever expertise dice to simulate a more tactical type experience. The mistake people make is assuming it has to be one way or the other and can't be both at the same time (but not for the same character).

If the playtest docs were the published product, you might have a point.

It's like you're looking at a caterpillar and saying that your problem with it is the fact that it doesn't have beautiful butterfly wings.

Even if you're right, you're dismissing out-of-hand the idea that it can and will change. Since the playtest documents are explicitly made to develop the eventual game, you should expect changes, even changes you haven't heard about. Maybe this will be one of them!

I can only work with the facts and evidence that has been presented. What we've been presented so far does not indicate they will make any changes to alleviate my fears. They could well change the entire game up before release, but there are no INDICATIONS that this is going to happen.

We've been over this before: Absense of evidence is not proof of change.

Now if I've missed an article where they talk about fixing these things or discuss them, please, post a link. I'll definitely read over it and change my tune. For now though there is no EVIDENCE or FACTS to base a change of my opinion on.

As I think Umbran already tried to explain, there is a significant difference between "criticism" and "constructive criticism". You seem to think criticism alone is inherently constructive. It's not. You're frequently missing the "constructive" part of it. And at this late stage of the playtest cycle, non-constructive criticism stands a zero percent chance of altering the game in any way. If designers are even exposed to your criticism at all , it will be summarily dismissed if it's not constructive in nature. And as your stated goal is to "rescue" your playstyle from Next, I'd think you'd want to employ the type of critical tone most likely to get a change in the game - and that tone is constructive in nature, not merely critical.

Can you explain (and possibly give an example) of how I could frame my concerns in a more 'constructive' way without losing any of the content?

If all I have to do is present solutions to the problems, I've already done that in other threads. If needed I'll do it in this thread too and we can discuss that.

The reason there isn’t OAs due to movement around an enemy is because fine movement that provokes does not work without minis, so it has to be simple.
One of the assumptions of a tactical module is more granular OAs. When 2e added more tactics, OAs were one of the first things added, this should be the case here as well. Moving away from someone’s front should provoke an OA (or the character could have the opportunity to forge the OA to turn).

I understand why they don't have OA's in 5E, but the problem is if you add them in with a module then you end up changing how everything works and class features and spells completely change. A spell that was not overpowered can become worthless or overpowered with a change like this. Something like Stinking Cloud that stops creatures from taking actions, suddenly becomes a game changer because as long as they can't take an action to turn or OA the Rogue can now sneak attack every round with no problems. Suddenly that BBEG goes down in 2 rounds instead of 5. There are many of these interactions. Fear is another one. Suddenly creatures must flee and take OA's left and right. Which means a group using the tactical module get 4-5 extra attacks per round. They run up hit the target and then the target runs and then they get OA's.

The whole point of rules modules is altering the base combat rules. Or rather, adding to the rules.
If the game is designed to be modular, the designers should be able to change how movement, OAs, and the like work without needing to change classes.

The effects of the change will alter the balance of the classes. A class that can only get sneak attacks when the target isn't aware of them, suddenly gets to sneak attack much more often because being behind someone qualifies in the same way that flanking qualifies. Spells that prevent movment suddenly become ultra important instead of other spells.

Think of it this way, classes refer to “Advantage”. The rules regularly refer to “Advantage”. But Advantage is only defined in the core rules and class options don’t modify what Advantage does. It’s basically a keyword. Which makes it modular. So you could strip out the “roll twice” mechanic and make it a +2 without affecting any classes. The game is unchanged.
5e makes it easy. You could dump d20s and go with 3d6 instead and the game would hum along with only one or two minor hiccups (in this instance, Advantage could be adding a d6, and stack).

I agree with this and they should design the game this way and let modules redefine keywords. Unfortunately keywords were used heavily in 4E and so they will be largely forgotten in 5E, when they could be used to solve 85% of the problems most of us have with the game.

The constant sliding and shifting of 4e often didn’t add much either. There was a lot of movement for movement’s sake. Just because the designers didn’t want the static fights of 3e where everyone planted and full attacked (which were boring).

I disagree. Combined with Zones, OAs and other 4E mechanics, it made the game much more tactical. You could set up a zone and force move an enemy into the zone so that on the start of their turn they took damage or gained a negative condition. You could move a bunch of enemies into the knights aura (or a player out of an enemies aura) to completely change up the situation in an encounter.

I think 5e could have a nice middle ground in movement between the rooted combatants of 3e and the dancing fights of 4e. Having opponents run around enemies works, so you have to be in the right square to get a bonus not just beside your enemy. And having enemies disengage and move across the battlefield also works. And positioning matters, so you fight with your back against a wall or some terrain.

I've already explained why this doesn't work, without 5' OAs character can alway move to the most advantagous position (even if your back is against the wall they can move to your side and get a lesser bonus). It ends up with the best tactic being to go back to back with an ally or find a wall to put your back to. It just recreates a different kind of static battle rather than a dynamic tactical battle.

They can't add any option that is so good it obviates the need for another option and that's about all facing does.

I don’t think we need the slow facing of Battletech where turning eats movement. You should be able to 360 as part of movement. And, as mentioned before, you might be able to spin using your reaction (or as part of your reaction).

There are already too many things that eat your reaction up. Its already an overloaded mechanic. If you can spin using your reaction, then there is no point to facing. You could easily just say "lose your reaction if a creature moves around you or take a -2 penalty to AC and saves" and save quite a bit of page space.

The same could be said for ANY addition to the game that is not personally desired.

No it really can't. I'm basing things on math and logic and its pretty clear that facing was removed from the game for some very good reasons.

But what does it add to the game?
1) Defensive positioning matters
2) Offensive positioning matters
3) Movement encouraged.
4) Encourages tactical thinking
5) Encourages teamwork

1) Refuted, it only matters to eat up your reaction or everyone gets it.
2) See 1.
3) Movement is no more encouraged than if you gave them a choice between a +2 or take away the enemies reaction. In fact movement is discouraged because characters would go back to back and stand still or find a wall and stand still.
4) It really doesn't. It encourages a 'best way to play' which should be discouraged.
5) You haven't demonstrated this, unless you mean back to back play which is static and not tactical. It becomes one of those non-choices.

Does it complicate things? Yes. But that’s the point. Tactical combat is by definition more complicated than Theatre of the Mind. In this case, complexity is a good thing.

Complexity is almost never a good thing on its own. If you add complexity you want to be sure and add more choices or a better play experience and facing really doesn't add enough to justify the complexity.

I was just brainstorming and giving examples. The balance is irrelevant as it’s just proof of concept: the names just make it easier than if I used <generic condition X> and <vague penalty Y>. Replace “daze” with a condition equivalent to “prone” or “forced movement”. But nastier penalties might come with penalties making them harder to pull off but thus more satisfying when they work.
There’s lots of options. Forced movement, penalties to attacks, penalties to AC, penalties to saves, penalties to movement, grabbing, tripping, etc. There could even be a “power attack” option where you take a penalty to attack to deal more damage.

The problem is different conditions and benefits and penalties have different effects on the game. If you add something like this into a tactical module you completely change the balance of the game. You would have to test every combination to realize that the Fighter can impose 3 conditions and deal quite a bit of damage each round and that might be a little overpowered (though still not as powerful as the casters).

I doubt the base game will have the combat maneuvers at all. Those kind of powers tend to hinder creativity and free form combat. It’s hard to justify allowing a character to spontaneously trip an enemy when there are a dozen powers that prone: if they wanted to trip they should have taken a tripping class feature.
The maneuvers really fit an “advanced” game, and also the Tactical Module. Trip and bull rush are situational, but you can use them whenever you want without the penalty of 3e. (And, really, trip is pretty darn useful in most situations.) So when they are useful you have them at your disposal. Plus, having them be situational keeps them manageable so you don’t have a dozen options each round dragging combat to a crawl.

This is the classic either/or arguement. Having codified powers in no way prevents improvisation. A codified power should only be slightly more reliable, but anyone can try anything, which is why I liked 4E's page 42. It worked great. You could emulate a powers effecs, but you usually had to make some kind of skill roll which meant you had less chance of succeeding, but nothing was off the table. In fact in my 4E level 1 game yesterday I had a Rogue improvise an attack by jumping through a hole in a roof and landing on a gnoll. In 4E when you improvise, the DM, can choose to make it a skill check against a defense which I did and because getting back up to the hole in the roof would have been a pain and taken a few rounds I chose the medium limited damage category so the Rogue did slightly more damage than his regular attack.

The only benefit a codified power gives is reliability.

And I would very much argue they promote “tactical” thinking. Being able to push an enemy at will (in place of damage or at a penalty to attack) means you can set-up a flank or take advantage of the terrain. Knocking down or immobilizing a fast opponent allows slower allies to get close. This is the definition of tactical teamwork.

This is very situational. It only works if you will deal twice as much damage the next round than you would if you just attacked or if there is some negative condition you apply that is worth giving up your potential damage. I can see for thematic reasons that this might appeal to people, but from a mechanics perspective it doesn't make sense at all.

In fact I made an encounter where the players were in a locked room against a golem that was many levels higher than them. There were holes all around the room and I wanted them to try to defeat it by pushing it into a hole. At first they tried this, but after a few rounds of not being able to do it due to some unlucky rolls, they realized how much damage they could have done and switched to attacking it with daily and encounter powers and overcame it coming close to death. It was literally better for them to deal damage to it than to try to push it into a pit.

And, as they’re universal powers, everyone at the table knows them. This was a problem with the tactics of 4e where you didn’t always know from session to session what your party member’s powers were.

Unless people were swapping out characters every session, the powers didn't change. You got a new power on level up and an option to retrain one power you already knew. So maximum on some session changes you might have each player having up to 2 powers you didn't know about. In fact this problem is worse in 5E because casters can swap out quite a few 'powers' on each extended rest.

"I thought you had fireball, that's why I clumped them up for you." "Nope, I have lightning bolt this time."

Basically, instead of having two dozen individual powers with every possible combination of conditions and actions (of which you can pick five) you have a half-dozen options you can stack with a basic attack, building powers on the fly.

Which is not in and of itself bad, but with everyone having that ability it cheapens classes whose features grant them the ability to apply one of those conditions. If a Monk's big draw is his ability to grapple, when suddenly everyone can grapple, then there is no reason to play the Monk.

Casters can do that a certain number of times per day. But sometimes they’re lacking a condition or effect they need. And certain subclasses fighters can impose the conditions without penalty as well, so there’s no difference there. It’s beneficial to have a power that allows you to do it, but you have the options if you lack a specific ability.

For the most part, with the exception of low level, casters will almost never run out of spells and due to the neo-vancian system they can choose several negative condition spells and cast the one they want when they want. Which makes them extremely versatile. You can also improvise and do it anyway, which would make a tactical module that granted things like this redundant.

The classes are (almost) balanced as is. Adding more options and powers to only some classes make them better than the spellcasters. It unbalances the game. So any additions in the Tactical Module would have to be independent of class and applied universally.
Similarly, the universal powers would apply to monsters. This gives monsters tactical depth without rewriting the entire Monster Manual.

The monster part is true, but the rest of it is not really true. I've proven mathematically over and over that the casters are not anywhere balanced with non-casters, not even close. In fact you would have to add quite a few powers to non-casters to get them close to the level of the casters. However that's not what I want added to the game in anyway. I want additional choices at level up, and from round to round that make sense within a class and promote tactical play. Giving everyone the same options does not promote tactical play. It gives them an optimal handbook that they then repeat over and over and it doesn't matter what class they are playing.

Plus, the modules should work independent of content so it can be used with classes released much later in the edition's lifespan, in campaign settings where certain classes are missing, and the like. It cannot just be “the Fighter Module” because that will mean people playing in a world where everyone has some magical talent (and no “fighters” exist) cannot also have a tactical game.

I agree with this, modules content should work regardless of class choice, however this is just a reason not to put it in a module. It should be baked into the game at a core level with the option of ignoring it or of choosing another option instead. Otherwise you end up with modules conflicting and possibly skewing the balance of the game to extremes.

It’s strategic play. Giving up personal damage one round to allow your allies to do more damage or avoid damage taken.
Really, this is no different from 4e. You have powers that just did damage, powers that did less damage but imposed lesser effects, and powers that did no damage but imposed harsher effects. Only instead of choosing one and having to stick with that choice every combat, you can pick-and-choose each round. This is taking that same thing and breaking it into component pieces allowing far, far more options with far less space.

The key difference is that each class had unique powers so that you had to choose a class and then choose powers that complemented your party or formed a strategy. This would not be so in a universal tactical module.

Sometimes it will just descend into always picking damage. The best status effect to impose on a creature is “dead”. But good tactical play should also involve the environment and terrain, and a good DM (provided with solid advice) can encourage the use of maneuvers.

This is only true in 4E because everyone has enough hit points to withstand several hits so its actually beneficial to impose a condition that will give everyone an advantage. In 5E this isn't so. There is no condition in the game worth giving up an attack, because most of the time an attack that deals damage is enough to bloody or defeat an enemy.

Again, the Tactical Module should be independent of class and race.
I don’t even think there should be class-specific options, as that would mean if the DM wanted to play a tactical game you HAD to pick from certain subclasses or builds. Play style should not limit build choices.

However, class and race are not an afterthought because the existing options still work. They can do everything they could before, only now they have a few more options. Enough to provide meaningful options each combat round.

Yes, which is why it could/should be a slightly different module, albeit one that should work with the Tactical Module and can be paired together to add a 4e feel to Next.

The thing is even with the more simple Essentials classes you could get many tactical options because of things like aura's and stances or a choice of at-will attacks. Complexity has almost nothing to do with tactical choices. You can have very simple tactical choices based on just a few emergent properties.

Typically, constructive criticism takes place in a context where the critic's goal is to help their subject make a better product or performance. That's why criticism from the likes of film or TV critics is generally neutral rather than constructive - their job is to list what they liked and didn't like, then provide a recommendation. People like the forum posters here are in a position, albeit a very informal one, of helping WotC make the best new D&D possible. So it's the right place for constructive criticism.

Fundamental to the process is remembering that 5e is being made by human beings, who appreciate encouragement for the good parts of their work, and would prefer negative commentary to be clear & to the point so they can address it. Hyperbolic remarks concerning how dismissive the design team is of particular gamers, game styles or game aspects have no place in constructive criticism, and should be omitted.

I'm not sure how this post applies to anything I've posted in this thread, can you point out specifics?

I want to quickly say two things before getting to the bulk of your rebuttal.

I disagree. Combined with Zones, OAs and other 4E mechanics, it made the game much more tactical. You could set up a zone and force move an enemy into the zone so that on the start of their turn they took damage or gained a negative condition. You could move a bunch of enemies into the knights aura (or a player out of an enemies aura) to completely change up the situation in an encounter.
Forced movement *could* do that, but often did not. I saw quite a few fights in my time running and playing 4e where people moved enemies because they could, not because they wanted to or it was advantageous.
It'd be a lot more efficient to strip out the extra movement and allow people to add it in when the situation warranted.

This is the classic either/or arguement. Having codified powers in no way prevents improvisation. A codified power should only be slightly more reliable, but anyone can try anything, which is why I liked 4E's page 42. It worked great. You could emulate a powers effecs, but you usually had to make some kind of skill roll which meant you had less chance of succeeding, but nothing was off the table. In fact in my 4E level 1 game yesterday I had a Rogue improvise an attack by jumping through a hole in a roof and landing on a gnoll. In 4E when you improvise, the DM, can choose to make it a skill check against a defense which I did and because getting back up to the hole in the roof would have been a pain and taken a few rounds I chose the medium limited damage category so the Rogue did slightly more damage than his regular attack.

The only benefit a codified power gives is reliability.
In theory yes, codification doesn't prevent inspiration. In practice less so. Nothing physically stops it, but during play the numerous powers catch the attention and stops imagination. And having lots of at-will is a hindrance, as you do not want to allow a player to improvise an action equivalent to an at-will because that unbalances the game by giving creative players more at-will powers.

The problem with Page 42 is twofold.
One, it only handles damage and not any other condition. Two, the damage and lack of kicker effects makes improvising less effective, and the requirement of skill checks makes improving less reliable adding a second chance for failure. You're greatly incentivized to use your own powers and not Page 42.
Some of this is by design. They wanted people to use default to powers first.

I understand why they don't have OA's in 5E, but the problem is if you add them in with a module then you end up changing how everything works and class features and spells completely change. A spell that was not overpowered can become worthless or overpowered with a change like this. Something like Stinking Cloud that stops creatures from taking actions, suddenly becomes a game changer because as long as they can't take an action to turn or OA the Rogue can now sneak attack every round with no problems. Suddenly that BBEG goes down in 2 rounds instead of 5. There are many of these interactions. Fear is another one. Suddenly creatures must flee and take OA's left and right. Which means a group using the tactical module get 4-5 extra attacks per round. They run up hit the target and then the target runs and then they get OA's.

The effects of the change will alter the balance of the classes. A class that can only get sneak attacks when the target isn't aware of them, suddenly gets to sneak attack much more often because being behind someone qualifies in the same way that flanking qualifies. Spells that prevent movment suddenly become ultra important instead of other spells.

I agree with this and they should design the game this way and let modules redefine keywords. Unfortunately keywords were used heavily in 4E and so they will be largely forgotten in 5E, when they could be used to solve 85% of the problems most of us have with the game.

I've already explained why this doesn't work, without 5' OAs character can alway move to the most advantagous position (even if your back is against the wall they can move to your side and get a lesser bonus). It ends up with the best tactic being to go back to back with an ally or find a wall to put your back to. It just recreates a different kind of static battle rather than a dynamic tactical battle.

They can't add any option that is so good it obviates the need for another option and that's about all facing does.

There are already too many things that eat your reaction up. Its already an overloaded mechanic. If you can spin using your reaction, then there is no point to facing. You could easily just say "lose your reaction if a creature moves around you or take a -2 penalty to AC and saves" and save quite a bit of page space.

No it really can't. I'm basing things on math and logic and its pretty clear that facing was removed from the game for some very good reasons.

2) See 1.
3) Movement is no more encouraged than if you gave them a choice between a +2 or take away the enemies reaction. In fact movement is discouraged because characters would go back to back and stand still or find a wall and stand still.
4) It really doesn't. It encourages a 'best way to play' which should be discouraged.
5) You haven't demonstrated this, unless you mean back to back play which is static and not tactical. It becomes one of those non-choices.

Complexity is almost never a good thing on its own. If you add complexity you want to be sure and add more choices or a better play experience and facing really doesn't add enough to justify the complexity.

The problem is different conditions and benefits and penalties have different effects on the game. If you add something like this into a tactical module you completely change the balance of the game. You would have to test every combination to realize that the Fighter can impose 3 conditions and deal quite a bit of damage each round and that might be a little overpowered (though still not as powerful as the casters).

This is very situational. It only works if you will deal twice as much damage the next round than you would if you just attacked or if there is some negative condition you apply that is worth giving up your potential damage. I can see for thematic reasons that this might appeal to people, but from a mechanics perspective it doesn't make sense at all.

In fact I made an encounter where the players were in a locked room against a golem that was many levels higher than them. There were holes all around the room and I wanted them to try to defeat it by pushing it into a hole. At first they tried this, but after a few rounds of not being able to do it due to some unlucky rolls, they realized how much damage they could have done and switched to attacking it with daily and encounter powers and overcame it coming close to death. It was literally better for them to deal damage to it than to try to push it into a pit.

Unless people were swapping out characters every session, the powers didn't change. You got a new power on level up and an option to retrain one power you already knew. So maximum on some session changes you might have each player having up to 2 powers you didn't know about. In fact this problem is worse in 5E because casters can swap out quite a few 'powers' on each extended rest.

"I thought you had fireball, that's why I clumped them up for you." "Nope, I have lightning bolt this time."

Which is not in and of itself bad, but with everyone having that ability it cheapens classes whose features grant them the ability to apply one of those conditions. If a Monk's big draw is his ability to grapple, when suddenly everyone can grapple, then there is no reason to play the Monk.

For the most part, with the exception of low level, casters will almost never run out of spells and due to the neo-vancian system they can choose several negative condition spells and cast the one they want when they want. Which makes them extremely versatile. You can also improvise and do it anyway, which would make a tactical module that granted things like this redundant.

The monster part is true, but the rest of it is not really true. I've proven mathematically over and over that the casters are not anywhere balanced with non-casters, not even close. In fact you would have to add quite a few powers to non-casters to get them close to the level of the casters. However that's not what I want added to the game in anyway. I want additional choices at level up, and from round to round that make sense within a class and promote tactical play. Giving everyone the same options does not promote tactical play. It gives them an optimal handbook that they then repeat over and over and it doesn't matter what class they are playing.

I agree with this, modules content should work regardless of class choice, however this is just a reason not to put it in a module. It should be baked into the game at a core level with the option of ignoring it or of choosing another option instead. Otherwise you end up with modules conflicting and possibly skewing the balance of the game to extremes.

The key difference is that each class had unique powers so that you had to choose a class and then choose powers that complemented your party or formed a strategy. This would not be so in a universal tactical module.

This is only true in 4E because everyone has enough hit points to withstand several hits so its actually beneficial to impose a condition that will give everyone an advantage. In 5E this isn't so. There is no condition in the game worth giving up an attack, because most of the time an attack that deals damage is enough to bloody or defeat an enemy.

The thing is even with the more simple Essentials classes you could get many tactical options because of things like aura's and stances or a choice of at-will attacks. Complexity has almost nothing to do with tactical choices. You can have very simple tactical choices based on just a few emergent properties.

I'm not sure how this post applies to anything I've posted in this thread, can you point out specifics?
We talked about constructive criticism earlier, and your replies really emphasis my point. Every response is uniformly negative with no positive words, no pointing out what did work, and no suggestions of what could be done to fix any of the ideas or concepts. It's just rely after reply of "No that won't work. That won't work either. That unbalances the game."

Okay, fine, YOU do better.
What's your concept for an optional rules module that can add tactical play to 5e? Show me what you've got. Impress me with your design.

It would change things yes, but change is neither good nor bad. It might make some spells more useful and others less useful, but that's going to happen with any large rules module.
It will change the dynamic of the game, but that is the point. And while PCs might be able to get a few extra attacks due to OAs, so will monsters. It's a neutral change that affects both parties equally and is thus balanced.

Just adding a grid is going to allow more opportunities for abilities like sneak attack to proc. By removing uncertainty it's easier to adjudicate. There will be more situations of allies engaging different opponents, but due to limited space the allies threaten the same enemy and the rogue can sneak.

The effects of the change will alter the balance of the classes. A class that can only get sneak attacks when the target isn't aware of them, suddenly gets to sneak attack much more often because being behind someone qualifies in the same way that flanking qualifies. Spells that prevent movement suddenly become ultra important instead of other spells.
There is no class that can only sneak attack when the target is not aware. That's not a fair example to use as a baseline.
Rogues sneak attack when they have advantage or there is another ally within 5 feet of the enemy. They could be right in front of an enemy with an ally beside them and that will count. Flanking is not required.
Just adding a grid will greatly increase the rogue's ability to sneak, potentially far more than facing.

I've already explained why this doesn't work, without 5' OAs character can alway move to the most advantageous position (even if your back is against the wall they can move to your side and get a lesser bonus). It ends up with the best tactic being to go back to back with an ally or find a wall to put your back to. It just recreates a different kind of static battle rather than a dynamic tactical battle.
That's your opinion. I disagree. It requires some playtesting to fine tune the execution, but it's very possible.

.There are already too many things that eat your reaction up. Its already an overloaded mechanic. If you can spin using your reaction, then there is no point to facing. You could easily just say "lose your reaction if a creature moves around you or take a -2 penalty to AC and saves" and save quite a bit of page space.
This is just an extended example. A proof of concept. There is bound to be some fine tuning required. You don't just trash an idea just because there were bugs in the brainstorming.

You keep saying that.
But I've never seen you use math. And I'm not sure how math would apply to facing. And you logic is not without flaws.
(Games are also not entirely logical or mathematic.)

2) See 1.
You barely touched #1. You didn't refute it; at best you disputed it. And you went on and on about how #2 would come into play again and again.
3) characters seldom start fights back-to-back so there's movement right there. And unless you're surrounded, that's inefficient for offense.
As for 5), you need an ally to flank. Teamwork. You need an ally to watch your back. Teamwork. You need an ally to trigger the reaction so you can get behind the enemy. Teamwork.

A tactical rule system is by it's nature complex. If anything complex gets veto-ed then we might as well give up on tactical play.
If WotC is serious about making a module designed for fans of tactical miniature combat they have to look at what other tactical miniature combat games include. And often that's facing.

That is what play testing is for, yes.

Unless...
The monster is hard to hit or us immune to mundane weaponry/ magic spells
The monster is in danger of killing a party member
Another party member can do 2x as much damage as you
It takes more than just damage to kill the monster

So... your point is that characters just need to be able to deal damage? That anything other than basic attacks are unneeded?
That's simple enough to implement,

With new content continually coming out, someone always swapped out their powers. (I always had to read the damn power cards.)

Unless... the monk does it better. That's a requirement of the design: anyone can grapple, trip, stealth, and stun but the classes that specialize will always be better.

The monster part is true, but the rest of it is not really true. I've proven mathematically over and over that the casters are not anywhere balanced with non-casters, not even close. In fact you would have to add quite a few powers to non-casters to get them close to the level of the casters.
Link?

However that's not what I want added to the game in anyway. I want additional choices at level up, and from round to round that make sense within a class and promote tactical play. Giving everyone the same options does not promote tactical play. It gives them an optimal handbook that they then repeat over and over and it doesn't matter what class they are playing.
Still sounds like what you want is "5e classes designed like 4e classes". This is not going to happen.
It's too late in the design phase to change every class. Even if there was time, if the majority of players who participated had wanted 4e style classes, WotC would have changed the classes to reflect that design. The fact the classes are the way they are suggest the majority of the player base does not want classes designed like 4e classes.

But if that's what you want, conveniently there's an edition just like that. One that you might already own.

That's tricky. It's hard to pull out content. Making a game with the complexity you want but options you can remove would be... phenomenally hard. It's so much more efficient to have the simple game and then add overtop.
Really, once you apply the optional rules, the end result is the same. It's just easier to play without.

Tactical play all but requires more hitpoints. That' same easy option to add.

Sounds exactly like the weapon master fighter with the tactical warrior feat.

Cybit

First Post
For the sake of this thread, I won't try to quote folks, since the pages will just get too long, but as some points of clarification -

A) The dwarven wizard, while playable, would give up significant DPR to get an AC of 18 at level 4. Assuming that all multi attack spells target 3 monsters, from levels 1-10 (and 11 would almost certainly fall this way, seeing as what happens at 11), all current (fully optimized) casters are under several martial classes (fighter & monk, probably ranger as well) for damage dealt per round by a fairly good margin. A dwarven caster, while getting a decent AC (18 is good, but the game does take into account that a plate wearing 1st level fighter with a shield has an AC of 20), would be hit even harder. Feats are insanely good, and frankly, a dwarven wizard who goes down that route with their feats is not making optimal choices to say the least.

Your assumptions in what monsters have in terms of abilities and saves at given levels do not seem to match the publicly available Bestiary. I would suggest a more thorough examination of the Bestiary would be in order.

B) 5E is much harder to break than 4E currently in terms of balance - My old 4E D&D group was full of optimizers and math nerds, and after running the current set of rules by them, they found 4E much easier to break than 5E. On a related note, Concentration is a PITA for casters, mwahahaha.

C) Tactical is a bit of both currently. Both of the games I run switch between TotM and grids on a weekly basis, depending on how lazy I am feeling that day. Because you can't stack advantage, you will find that, as you play the game, the multiple synergistic stacking that wrecked 4E classes at higher levels (my 4E group had a resourceful warlord, a knight, a thief and a ranger all in the same group) doesn't take hold nearly as much. You don't have 10 different ways to buff creatures.

D) Web, Stinking Cloud, etc, are much harder to land than expected (Web especially). The amount of saves creatures get, as well as concentration, as well as the specific spell requirements make the spells far more situational (and prone to failure).

E) I think this is a situation where playing the game often leads to much different results than theorycrafting.

I understand that 3E was not the best edition for casters, and 4E brought a much more balanced approach to combat than 3E, but I would remind folks that the man in charge of D&D is a man famous for his 3E supplement that made martial characters badass. The Chicken Little approach to martial imbalances in 5E is very illogical.

Remove ads