(5e) IMMORTAL RULES

dave2008

Legend
What do you think of the Epic Level handbook over on dmguild?

I didn't know it was there - I'll check it out. From the write up it looks like it is just player side changes and on top of that is advancing all of the classes to lvl 30. Personally, I don't want my epic characters to advance further in levels so I think that author and I have philosophical differences with what constitutes "epic." I've chosen to expand the epic boon system presented in the DMG to allow players to make character that can challenge the greater gods. That being said, there are probably some good ideas in there so I'll pick it up. Thank you for letting me know!

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
What do you think of the Epic Level handbook over on dmguild?

I just purchased and did a quick drive thru. I like its simplicity, each class fits on one page, and seems fairly well done. It would take a lot of time to determine if the classes are balanced and that doesn't really interest me (as noted before i prefer epic characters that don't have classes), so no comment on that. Similar with the feats - though I find those, and the spell advancement the most interesting and useful for my project.

Personally, my stance is a mortal can reach level 20 and that is about it. You can go a little beyond with some epic boons, but to go beyond that you need to ascend to immortality. Thus, I guess I am more interested in an "Immortals Handbook" vs. an "Epic Level Handbook."

One negative is that the resolution on the PDF is low and the artwork doesn't really fit the subject matter. Otherwise fairly interesting, thank you for letting me know about it.

Last edited:

Faenor

Explorer
Ok, thank you. We've playtested some of the 30-40 level monsters you've done vs some characters with pretty much maxed out epic boons plus the best magic items from the dmg. Two paladins hasted with holy avengers. Cleric and sorcerer. Found that the paladins were running out of slots for smites and couldn't keep up with regen.maybe a class that doesn't run out of steam - rogue plus fighter. Maybe need 6 characters, but that's a lot to run and there are only two of us

dave2008

Legend
Ok, thank you. We've playtested some of the 30-40 level monsters you've done vs some characters with pretty much maxed out epic boons plus the best magic items from the dmg. Two paladins hasted with holy avengers. Cleric and sorcerer. Found that the paladins were running out of slots for smites and couldn't keep up with regen.maybe a class that doesn't run out of steam - rogue plus fighter. Maybe need 6 characters, but that's a lot to run and there are only two of us

Cool! Glad to here someone is giving them a try. How did to go? Sounds like it was a battle of attrition. How many rounds was the combat(s)? Also was that maxed with the DMG epic boons? Have you tried with the additional levels provided by the 'Epic Level Handbook"? I would be interested to know how that worked, as I am tempted to make my work quasi compatible with it. It seems pretty well done and would be an interesting alternative to my system.

Faenor

Explorer
It was great fun. We saw after just 3-5 rounds against your tiamat (not in lair and solo) that the maths were just not going to add up. Burning hard with 3 attacks per round and maxed smites, the damage was not going to keep up with regen. We used your epic boons, maxed, so mostly 20-30 ability scores, immunities and resistances. We'll be giving the Epic handbook options a try next.

dave2008

Legend
It was great fun. We saw after just 3-5 rounds against your tiamat (not in lair and solo) that the maths were just not going to add up. Burning hard with 3 attacks per round and maxed smites, the damage was not going to keep up with regen. We used your epic boons, maxed, so mostly 20-30 ability scores, immunities and resistances. We'll be giving the Epic handbook options a try next.

Awesome - good to hear. At some point I will get to complete this project, but until after I jet most if not all of my epic monsters updated. Let me know how it goes with epic levels.

dave2008

Legend
I have started adding details to the Epic Spells section, post #9. I have also added spell descriptions for several level 10, 11, & 12 Necromancy spells. More to come!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases