[5e] "Into The Woods" Horror one-shot. [FULL][OOC]

It is effectively disadvantage to the roll. Hex invocation doesn't give a save and has similar effect.

The big difference between disadvantage and -5 on the roll is -5 on the roll is not countered by advantage. Also, Hex, a 1st level spell, only gives disadvantage on ability checks for one of 6 abilities to ONLY one target. Not disadvantage on all attack rolls and saves to ALL creatures within 30 feet. And its version of disadvantage is not countered by advantage. That is a very powerful effect.

Slow is a 3rd level spell that halves moment. This Frozen effect cuts all movement to 5 ft per turn. That's a higher level effect.

I'm just curious why this stuff is so non-standard. I assume it's balanced by something else we haven't seen in the creatures. It's just unusual.

mips42

Adventurer
The Curse is basically the opposite of Bless, but it affects the creatures enemies instead of allies. I happened to roll high on the modifier [1d6]. Frozen is a spell-like effect unique to this creature and, yes, the creature and it's effects are NASTY.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I think it makes it more intresting - normally boss monsters fall quickly because of greater number of actions of the player group.

I'd rather have 3 hard encounters in pbp than 6 easy ones due time needed.

I don't dispute the effect is powerful, but why fight it? Hex was just an example and as you say it is first level. Why not have 3rd or 4th level like this? Or let DM have some freedom to make us afraid ;)

mips42

Adventurer
agreed with the 1 combat v 6. with pbp combat takes time and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. Yes, minor boss fight. "Special attacks", "lair actions", Reactions all make the boss different and more challenging.

mips42

Adventurer
"In a fight, everyone is constantly watching for enemies to drop their guard. You can rarely move heedlessly past your foes without putting yourself in danger; doing so provokes an opportunity attack.

You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach. To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one melee attack against the provoking creature. The attack interrupts the provoking creature's movement, occurring right before the creature leaves your reach."
I figured you would want the extra attack. I did not negate the turn on the one that was hit. If you would prefer not to take opportunity attacks in the future, please state so.

Yes, but Terry is telling them not to attack them. That resolves as the channel divinity resolves on her turn. The undead don't actually provoke until their turns. Actually leaving the square provokes the AoO. The undead can't do that until they can make a move action.

mips42

Adventurer
Yes, but Terry is telling them not to attack them. That resolves as the channel divinity resolves on her turn. The undead don't actually provoke until their turns. Actually leaving the square provokes the AoO. The undead can't do that until they can make a move action.
Yep, you're right. My bad. Will undo . Good catch

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
For Umbril roll for OA unless specifically told not to. Moving away from the echo also provokes (obviously, I still can make only one reaction)

In this case, he would NOT attack since ther are instructions to thst effect

Remove ads