D&D 5E 5e Modern

saber999

Explorer
I have had a hankering for a modern D&D setting again. Perused through my old d20 Modern stuff and thought it would be fun for an updated version. Yes, people believe a 5E modern version doesn't work well, but I am not that deep into the issues.

I have found some interesting products to share. Amazing Adventures got updated from the SIEGE Engine to the 5E rules. Its designed for a pulp feel but scalable up to a more contemporary setting and even up to a near future (light on those rules). Combined with the 5E Modern Handbook floating around from an online creator, Mage Hand's Modern Mayhem, add some elements of the Unearthed Arcana Modern Magic article, and you have a good basis for further play.

R_J_K75

Legend
Wish I had kept my Alternity and D20 Modern books myself. We've been playing 5E D&D for about 3-4 years quite regularly and I wouldnt mind doing a mini-modern campaign soon. I was disappointed that the 5E Modern Kickstarter was cancelled. I'll have to kook for the 5E Modern Handbook.

jgsugden

Legend
I prefer D&D for fantasy setting, but I do not think the exponential growth of the classes services most modern or futuristic settings. For those settings, I want advancement to be slower and more subtle, with the story development and equipment being driving forces for character advancement and the characters beginning their careers well formed.

To that end, when I run something that is set in a world with more technology than Magic, I run GURPS or (or my homebrew system for a very specific campaign I built that is like a combination of the Alias TV show, the Old West, Victorian England, Cthulhu and WW I).

R_J_K75

Legend
It’s good. Has the right balance between complexity and fun. Equipment in modern games can get messy fast (see Starfinder) this draws the line well I think. Classes seemed interesting.
I downloaded the OGL/SRD for it a few minutes ago and it looked pretty good from what I could tell from the little bit I browsed it. I'll probably pick up the hardcover if my players have interest in playing it. Its a little pricey but seems worth it.

TheSword

Legend
I downloaded the OGL/SRD for it a few minutes ago and it looked pretty good from what I could tell from the little bit I browsed it. I'll probably pick up the hardcover if my players have interest in playing it. Its a little pricey but seems worth it.
I was using it for a Dark Heresy setting for 5e players. It wasn’t a close match (i never expected one) but it did heroic modern/sci-fi well.

Remove ads