• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e niggles:- Multiclassing Spellcasters; Dragonborn Sorcerers; Tavern Brawler; Warlocks

NerfedWizard

First Post
Let me preface this by saying that IMHO 5e is shaping up to be a classic edition fit to challenge BECMI D&D and 1st ed. AD&D in my affections.

Multiclassing Spellcasters

[EDIT:- since I posted this it has been pointed out to me lower in the thread that the following example doesn't work because you don't actually get to be an Eldritch Knight until 3rd level Fighter. Even so I think in principle everyone should use the same rules for slots.]

Top marks for effort, but watch what happens if a 3rd level paladin (3 x 1st level spell-slots) multiclasses 1st level fighter (for argument's sake, might or might not be an eldritch knight; I don't think it makes a difference). For purposes of multiclass spell-slots, the paladin levels now count as 1.5 multiclass spellcaster levels, rounded down to 1. The fighter level is either 0 or one-third, rounded down to 0. Even if you were meant to add the one-third to the 1.5 before rounding, that would still be 11/6, rounded down to 1. Result:- you now have level 1 multiclassed spell-slots (2 x 1st level spell-slots). Thus, by multiclassing fighter level 1 (whether or not eldritch knight), your 3rd level paladin has reduced his spell-slots from 3 to 2.

Two easy fixes occur to me.

1. The Power-Down Fix. Calculate all spell-casters' spell slots (except Warlock obviously) exactly as per the multi-classed spellcaster rules, ignoring the single-classed spell slots tables. Thus, a single-class 3rd level paladin only has 2 x 1st level spell slots to begin with, and loses nothing by multiclassing. Basically, this means that the paladin is 1 level behind in going up in spell slots, and the arcane trickster is 2 levels behind, compared to PHB, except at 2nd and 3rd level respectively (when the first spell-slots are gained). Thus the paladin would be behind the PHB roughly half the time, and the arcane trickster roughly two thirds of the time.

2. The Arithmetical Fix. Do not round down when calculating total levels for multiclass spell-caster spell slots. Instead, add all fractions together (from all your different classes) then round up, unless the fractions total less than 1. Thus an arcane trickster 2, eldritch knight 2, paladin 1 gets 4/3 + 1/2 = 11/6, round up to 2, for a total of 3 x 1st level spell-slots, equivalent to a single-classed arcane trickster of 4th through 6th level, or a paladin of 3rd or 4th level. By this method an eldritch knight 7-9 would get the same spell-slots whether under the single-classed or multi-classed rules. A paladin 5-8 likewise. I have not systematically checked but if I have guessed the pattern correctly then this would hold true in other cases too, but it does require you to not be scared of arithmetic, and to be capable of converting to sixths.

Dragonborn Sorcerers

Specifically, dragonborn sorcerers of draconic bloodline, especially (though not only) if of the same dragon type for both. Makes sense thematically for a dragonborn to have a matching draconic bloodline, right? Except that it is specifically a disadvantage to be a dragonborn sorcerer of draconic bloodline, because your racial abilities overlap with your class abilities with nothing to make up for this. The first instance of this is languages:- your ability to speak Draconic. So far, so trivial. Personally, I would rule that dragonborn sorcerers of draconic bloodline gain claws enhancing their unarmed combat damage to 1d4, or if already 1d4 or higher then by one die-type. Thus a dragonborn sorcerer of draconic bloodline level 1, multiclassed to monk level 17, would inflict d12 damage in unarmed combat.

Another point is that the draconic bloodline sorcerer can gain resistance to damage type temporarily at 6th (elemental affinity) but the dragonborn race (if dragon types are matching) gives this for free anyway, and the two don't stack. I would fix this by saying that multiple resistances do stack, as follows:-
1 resistance:- half damage
2 resistances:- one third damage
3 resistances:- one quarter damage
etc. (i.e. divide damage by N+1 where N = number of resistances).

Tavern Brawler

This seems quite potent compared to low-level monk unarmed combat. Should it stack with monk unarmed combat abilities? Should it upgrade unarmed combat damage by one die-type? What about a dragonborn sorcerer of draconic bloodline level 1, multiclassed monk level 17, with tavern brawler - d12+1?

Warlocks

I saw a poll on here which suggests Warlocks have "won" the PHB. Really? They seem quite underpowered to me, compared specifically to clerics, which have the same hit points, better armour, shields, the best possible spell-slots and more base cantrips than a warlock, plus in effect the ability to turn/destroy undead, and domain features. To make up for this warlocks have up to eight invocations and also have pact magic features. But how strong are these?

For instance, up to 8th level, Light domain gives clerics extra spells known (fireball!), a bonus cantrip (!), disadvantage an attacker x Wis mod between long rests, radiance of the dawn (as an alternative to turn undead), and at 8th add your wis mod to cantrip damage.

Compare this to a 9th level infernal warlock with pact of the tome who gains a similar expanded spell list (fireball!), about 12-13 temp hitpoints when he reduces a foe to 0 hitpoints (so only kicks in when you are winning, not when you are desperate) - let's say that balances with turn/destroy undead, then the luck advantage (let's say that balances the disadvantage attacker thing, though doubtful), and 5 invocations. With pact of the tome the warlock has the same number of cantrips as the cleric (5).

Invocations include agonizing blast (inferior to the cleric add wis mod to cantrip damage thing), armour of shadows (not a match for the cleric's armour + shield advantage), and three others. Let's say the warlock chooses bewitching whispers and sign of ill omen - these effectively simply expand the warlock's spell-list in a minor way. Then he chooses whispers of the grave - speak with the dead at will. Now that in itself could be potent, but it's very narrowly focused, and non-combat. Then the warlock has two 5th level spell-slots and the cleric has no 5th, but 2 4th, 3 3rd, 3 2nd and 4 1st.

Am I missing something here? The 9th level warlock seems to me to be about as potent as a 7th level cleric. Then at high levels he doesn't even retain his advantage of having the highest level spell slots - mystic arcanum being limited to 1 slot per spell level 6th-9th.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Am I missing something here? The 9th level warlock seems to me to be about as potent as a 7th level cleric. Then at high levels he doesn't even retain his advantage of having the highest level spell slots - mystic arcanum being limited to 1 slot per spell level 6th-9th.
You don't seem to be accounting for the fact that warlock spell slots recharge on a short rest.

NerfedWizard

First Post
You don't seem to be accounting for the fact that warlock spell slots recharge on a short rest.

Good point but bear in mind a short rest is a minimum of 1 hour.

Once you have got to the point of having a short rest, in most practical situations (unless artificially DM'd to constrain the party) you would be able to take a long rest if you really wanted. After all, 1 hour of not being attacked or placed under strong pressure is enough time to make your escape. Plus, the cleric Channel Divinity power does regenerate after a short rest.

I guess if you assume that the average adventuring day is broken up by one short rest the warlock is on a par with the cleric at around 8th level, and if two short rests then the warlock is ahead.

Plus I was a bit naughty in that I deliberately overlooked Thirsting Blade, which is probably the best lowish level invocation. My reasoning for overlooking it is that you shouldn't have to choose the strictly optimal options in order to pull your weight.

Li Shenron

Legend
Just adding a grain of salt here, because I don't have the PHB yet.

1. The Power-Down Fix. Calculate all spell-casters' spell slots (except Warlock obviously) exactly as per the multi-classed spellcaster rules, ignoring the single-classed spell slots tables. Thus, a single-class 3rd level paladin only has 2 x 1st level spell slots to begin with, and loses nothing by multiclassing. Basically, this means that the paladin is 1 level behind in going up in spell slots, and the arcane trickster is 2 levels behind, compared to PHB, except at 2nd and 3rd level respectively (when the first spell-slots are gained). Thus the paladin would be behind the PHB roughly half the time, and the arcane trickster roughly two thirds of the time.

I really don't think you should apply the multiclass spellcasting rules when you have only one spellcasting class.

Those special rules about combined slots are meant only for when you have 2 spellcasting classes.

A Paladin X/Fighter Y should really cast Paladin spells as a Paladin of level X does, no recalculations needed.

Specifically, dragonborn sorcerers of draconic bloodline, especially (though not only) if of the same dragon type for both. Makes sense thematically for a dragonborn to have a matching draconic bloodline, right? Except that it is specifically a disadvantage to be a dragonborn sorcerer of draconic bloodline, because your racial abilities overlap with your class abilities with nothing to make up for this.

A dragonborn with draconic bloodline does feel redundant, hence IMHO it's ok that something overlaps.

After all, the same happens to races with bonus weapon proficiencies, when they choose to be Fighters or other classes which grant proficiencies they already have from race.

Psikerlord#

Explorer

Once you have got to the point of having a short rest, in most practical situations (unless artificially DM'd to constrain the party) you would be able to take a long rest if you really wanted. After all, 1 hour of not being attacked or placed under strong pressure is enough time to make your escape. Plus, the cleric Channel Divinity power does regenerate after a short rest.

I guess if you assume that the average adventuring day is broken up by one short rest the warlock is on a par with the cleric at around 8th level, and if two short rests then the warlock is ahead.

Plus I was a bit naughty in that I deliberately overlooked Thirsting Blade, which is probably the best lowish level invocation. My reasoning for overlooking it is that you shouldn't have to choose the strictly optimal options in order to pull your weight.
warlocks will be fairly potent ranged attackers if you take the view that the add cha to Eldritch blast invocation adds to each beam, which is how it reads to me. Add to this the short rest spells reset, and you have a pretty potent class in adventures which involve (i) wilderness treks, (ii) city adventures, which will tend to allow for lots of short rests, and not necessarily long rests. In dungeon adventures, where short rests are less common (although with a caster with rope trick, not uncommon at all.....) warlocks will be less awesome, and daily resource users will tend to fare better.

DonAdam

Explorer
You make some good points that I'll have to chew on more.

Re: Tavern Brawler:

Upping the damage die basically makes it a must-have feat for monks. I would counsel against this.

The problem seems to arise from the fact that level 1 monks are underwhelming. This is one of my niggles with the rules. Their two abilities basically serve to bring them up to the level of a character using equipment. They are essentially two-weapon fighters who add their ability mod to their off hand attack--but the ability mod mostly just makes up for the lower dice they are throwing with simple weapons and unarmed strikes. Compared to a level 1 fighter, they have (slightly) fewer hit points and no second wind (and likely to have lower Con since they require two stats for their AC to be competitive).

I have a similar niggle regarding first level rangers, who have two very situational abilities that are unlikely to come up in the first session. These are both niggles because first level is so short and at later levels it evens out.

Re: Warlock

I don't think they are weak so much as that clerics are just very strong. The domain spells don't just increase the number of spells known, but the number of spells prepared.

A dragonborn with draconic bloodline does feel redundant, hence IMHO it's ok that something overlaps.

After all, the same happens to races with bonus weapon proficiencies, when they choose to be Fighters or other classes which grant proficiencies they already have from race.

Normally I'd agree with this, but I think it's an actual issue (problem is too strong a word) here because it is something that, thematically, you'd probably want to encourage, that really works conceptually, but it's kind of annoying how it's actually slightly mechanically perverse. It's also rather more major than a couple of weapon proficiencies, imho. Personally I think it makes sense to just give a Dragonborn Dragonblooded Sorcerer an extra language and allow him to use the 6th level Sorcerer ability on a different element (rather getting into fiddly "how many resistances!?" stuff as the OP suggests).

Indeed. I think this is kind of illustrative of the problem of short-rest-balanced classes in general, when the short rest is 1hr - it's such an extremely long time (I mean, it only even makes sense to call it "short" in purely relative terms) in a remotely risky situation.

Personally I kind of feel like 5E's Cleric is turning out to be, perhaps, rather overpowered. It's a better party-buffer than a Bard, a better healer than everyone, a combat-oriented Cleric is a much better fighter than a Valour Bard, they have access to a ton of really good spells, full casting, good AC, decent weapons etc. - We won't see 3E's CoDzilla due to Conc. restrictions but they almost seem to be from a different game to most of the classes, to me.

So perhaps that's the problem with comparing them to Cleric.

EDIT - Scooped by [MENTION=2446]DonAdam[/MENTION] - Clerics are indeed very strong!

I do think that in any game where Short Rests are revised to a shorter figure (which apparently will be a suggestion in the DMG), Warlocks, Battlemaster Fighters and others are going to be a lot more competitive than otherwise.

Pickles JG

First Post
Multiclassing Spellcasters

Top marks for effort, but watch what happens if a 3rd level paladin (3 x 1st level spell-slots) multiclasses 1st level fighter (for argument's sake, might or might not be an eldritch knight; I don't think it makes a difference). For purposes of multiclass spell-slots, the paladin levels now count as 1.5 multiclass spellcaster levels, rounded down to 1. The fighter level is either 0 or one-third, rounded down to 0. Even if you were meant to add the one-third to the 1.5 before rounding, that would still be 11/6, rounded down to 1. Result:- you now have level 1 multiclassed spell-slots (2 x 1st level spell-slots). Thus, by multiclassing fighter level 1 (whether or not eldritch knight), your 3rd level paladin has reduced his spell-slots from 3 to 2.
NO marks for reading ;)- this only applies if you have multiple classes with the spellcasting feature (p164)
I haven't found a multiclass that is weird with this restriction.

Dragonborn Sorcerers
Agree though I can live with it or give out some small bennies to encourage it - ie if someone wanted to do this I would rule on it then.

The short rest recharge is key, the frequency of which will swing their power markedly. My level 1 guy with Hex was dealing solid damage in the one session I have played & from safety with temps too. 4e all over.
Also the familiar pact reads as very very strong - an invisible scout with psychic links - only the book seems a bit weak, though rituals may make this solid (though it's only like a wizard then so less exciting).

I think all of the "cast a spell using a warlock spell slot" incantations are terrible - it's not like you don't already have far more useful options than you have slots.

NerfedWizard

First Post
NO marks for reading ;)- this only applies if you have multiple classes with the spellcasting feature (p164)

Well spotted, but do you realise that this actually makes the problem worse than I first suggested? See below.

I haven't found a multiclass that is weird with this restriction.

In this instance it is you who gets NO marks for reading :cool:. Because my example very clearly included multiclassing eldritch knight.

To restate my example corrected for the rules misread you've pointed out:-

3rd level paladin has 3 x level 1 spell slots. Multiclasses fighter (eldritch knight), which is a multiclass with the spellcasting feature of eldritch knight. Character now has effective level for spell slots of 1.5 + 0.33r = 1.833r, round down to 1. Paladin 3, Eldritch Knight 1 therefore has 2 x level 1 spell slots and has lost a spell slot by multiclassing. Whereas if the Paladin had multiclassed Fighter but not Eldritch Knight, he would NOT have lost the spell slot. So he actually has less magic by multiclassing into a magic-using class than by multiclassing into a non-magic-using class.

Suppose for the sake of argument that you say "yes but the Eldritch Knight doesn't actually get the spellcasting feature until 3rd level". OK. That counterargument might work (I suspect not though), depending on how we define who has or doesn't have the spellcasting feature. But that would likewise mean that you could be a level 2 Eldritch Knight, level 1 Ranger, level 1 Paladin and level 2 Arcane Trickster, and from all those classes combined you would have a grand total of zero spellcasting ability (though I suppose we probably reach that result anyway due to having no spells known at those levels of those classes, except possibly on one reading of the rules as paladin).

Last edited:

jadrax

Adventurer
Suppose for the sake of argument that you say "yes but the Eldritch Knight doesn't actually get the spellcasting feature until 3rd level". OK. That counterargument might work (I suspect not though), depending on how we define who has or doesn't have the spellcasting feature. But that would likewise mean that you could be a level 2 Eldritch Knight, level 1 Ranger, level 1 Paladin and level 2 Arcane Trickster, and from all those classes combined you would have a grand total of zero spellcasting ability.

You can not be a Eldritch Knight until level 3, at level 1 and 2 you are simply a Fighter.

Remove ads