D&D 2E (5e + PF2e)/2?

dave2008

Legend
I hear a lot of complaints on the PF forums that 5e does have enough options and is not tactical enough. However, for me PF2e is not just adding some depth and options, but a lot more fiddle bits and complexity. To much for my taste. So I have a few questions for forum foragers:

1. Is there a RPG that has the simplicity of 5e with some more depth and tactical options like PF2e (or 4e really)?
  2. Can you add depth and tactics to 5e without losing much of its simplicity / streamlined play?
  3. Assumed “yes” to #2: how would you do it?
To start here are my thoughts on an answer to #3 (which means I think #2 is a yes):
  • I would give tactical options to monsters (I’m already doing that)
  • add tactically oriented subclasses
  • Maybe rework feats to be half or mini feats and spread them across more levels

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
1. I don’t think there is currently such a game, at least not one that would satisfy what I’d want out if it.
2. Yes, I think it is very possible.
3. If I had the time and resources, I’d make my own game. In the mean time, I’m settling for 5e with some homebrew to bring in the options I crave.

GreyLord

Legend
I'm workin on it (well, working on something)....

At a very slow pace....

I started on an OGL 4e, but after a short spurt...got tied up in other things. The plan is to eventually migrate it to the 5e OGL and publish that on DMs guild.

But I am one person, and I get distracted easily....

(well, that would just be one option, there probably are others...mine will probably be a long time coming).

Gamma World 7E is an example of something that I would consider to be simple tactical play. It's tactical, because it uses the D&D 4E combat engine. It's simple, because there are no build choices - there are no feats, the powers you gain are determined entirely by your (randomly generated) race/class combination, and equipment is mostly cosmetic.

dave2008

Legend
Gamma World 7E is an example of something that I would consider to be simple tactical play. It's tactical, because it uses the D&D 4E combat engine. It's simple, because there are no build choices - there are no feats, the powers you gain are determined entirely by your (randomly generated) race/class combination, and equipment is mostly cosmetic.
Interesting, but I would be looking for more build options

I thinking about importing the whole of PF2's economy, equipment (with all the weapon and armor traits) and magic items and only keep some of 5E's where needed (such as plae giving AC 18 and not +6 AC or whatever it is in PF2). I really like the way (magic weapons) work with criticals. I'm just a tiny it unsure about the impact, but PF2 spells and 5E spells seem to deal close enough damage that I don't think martials will get too much of a boost (as if such a thing is possible).

I also like PF2 monster resistances (cold iron, good, silvered etc.) a lot more than 5E's resistance to non magic weapons that are irrelevant by 5th lvl a lot more, so that goes in as well.

I will be following this thread with great interest!

please, tell me you found an easy and elegant hack to add the the 3 actions round in 5e!

What I'm shooting for is more like flattening the math of PF2 to be closer to 5E, and designing a combat system that is tactical at the core, so you can have interesting back-and-forth action even at 1st level.

And honestly it's more of a whole new game, rather than a hack to implement new rules into an existing one.

Last edited:

I hear a lot of complaints on the PF forums that 5e does have enough options and is not tactical enough. However, for me PF2e is not just adding some depth and options, but a lot more fiddle bits and complexity. To much for my taste. So I have a few questions for forum foragers:

1. Is there a RPG that has the simplicity of 5e with some more depth and tactical options like PF2e (or 4e really)?
  2. Can you add depth and tactics to 5e without losing much of its simplicity / streamlined play?
  3. Assumed “yes” to #2: how would you do it?
To start here are my thoughts on an answer to #3 (which means I think #2 is a yes):
  • I would give tactical options to monsters (I’m already doing that)
  • add tactically oriented subclasses
  • Maybe rework feats to be half or mini feats and spread them across more levels
Can you give us some case of tactical options you use?

Remove ads