D&D 2E (5e + PF2e)/2?

dave2008

Legend
please, tell me you found an easy and elegant hack to add the the 3 actions round in 5e!
Personally I'm not set on that yet. I am not convinced it is an improvement. I fear it is going to lead to less dynamic battles. I would be more interested in omitting OA (like PF2e) and making them class (fighter) or feat specific.

However, I more intrigued by the 6 action system someone posted on a PF forum thread. 1 action for each second. So every action in PF2e is basically 2 actions in the 6 action system, then you have space for 1 action options. Personally I would tie reactions into this system (which is a flaw of the PF2e system IMO). That opens a lot of possibilities - maybe PF3e (or D&D 6e).

dave2008

Legend
I thinking about importing the whole of PF2's economy, equipment (with all the weapon and armor traits) and magic items and only keep some of 5E's where needed (such as plae giving AC 18 and not +6 AC or whatever it is in PF2). I really like the way (magic weapons) work with criticals. I'm just a tiny it unsure about the impact, but PF2 spells and 5E spells seem to deal close enough damage that I don't think martials will get too much of a boost (as if such a thing is possible).

I also like PF2 monster resistances (cold iron, good, silvered etc.) a lot more than 5E's resistance to non magic weapons that are irrelevant by 5th lvl a lot more, so that goes in as well.

I will be following this thread with great interest!

Personally I think there are two many options, but I understand what you are saying. I go back and forth whether the 5e resistance (half damage) or 3e/4e/PF version (reduction by X amount) is better. I can the pros and cons of each and keep going back and forth.

Personally I think there are two many options, but I understand what you are saying. I go back and forth whether the 5e resistance (half damage) or 3e/4e/PF version (reduction by X amount) is better. I can the pros and cons of each and keep going back and forth.
5E damage resistance is irrelevant by lvl 5. I'd like for variation in 5E resistances. A 'simple' solution looks like using a combination like you suggest yourself.

I've taken a hiatus from the project to work on other things and I have decided to ditch the idea of elites so I want to go back and change all of the "elite" stat blocks and just raise there CR.
Wut? Wasn't the whole point not that monsters would need to be ridiculousy over-CRed to be a threat?

Quickleaf

Legend
@dave2008 I use creative Reactions, creative Inspiration (and spell upcasting), liberally interpreted forced movement, and a bit more attention to damage type (bludgeoning/piercing/slashing) in my 5e game. I find this adds a nice level of tactical depth without making the game more complicated. I'm sure this is because I handle a lot of these elements ad hoc.

Some players miss all the fiddly character creation bits of Pathfinder. I don't share that sentiment, but to address the two players who like the fiddly stuff, I've introduced some homebrew racial feats for their goblin and lizardfolk PCs, respectively, as well as homebrew magic items, and some story/narrative stuff that has scratched that itch for them.

dave2008

Legend
One second actions.
Besides, how can this not make combats take hours?
Well in theory it shouldn't take any longer. If 3 sword attacks cost 3 actions in PF2e, the would cost 6 actions in this version. For most things it doesn't change the thing. I like the idea that a reaction might cost 1 action, but of course you to have that 1 action available. So maybe the fighter attacks (2 actions), raises her shield (2 actions) and then moves 5 feet (1 action). That leaves 1 action for a possible reaction. I imagine it would take more time at first, but I don't think it adds to much time or complexity in the vast majority of situations.

Remove ads