D&D 5E [5e +] So what are you currently doing with 5e

Imaro

Legend
Thought this would be a cool thread to see what other posters are up to with 5e as well as ultimately being a resource to steal/borrow/inspire some ideas for the 5e campaign I am currently running... So I'm asking my fellow posters...

Whether it's prepping, house-ruling, running one-shots, running a campaign, creating new magic items/monsters/classes/etc. or anything else I might not have covered above... What are you currently doing with 5e? I'll post about what I've been doing/done with 5e so far a little later in the thread but for now I'm kinda interested in reading what others are doing...

Cernor

Explorer
I was playing in HotDQ as a Moon Druid... Before we went flying off the rails by entering the dragon hatchery before we were supposed to and stealing some eggs. Now we have an adult black dragon hunting us down, who's very angry and probably hungry.

I'm running 5E for two groups. One of them is playing my "conversion on the fly" of Night Below, and I just started a homebrew with another totally different group. I'd love to have a chance to play, but seems unlikely these days.

the Jester

Legend
Running a group in my sandbox campaign. They are based in the sole remaining city, the last bastion of civilization, and surrounded by disorganized tribes of humanoids of various, almost entirely hostile, sorts, that used to be organized as the Six-Fingered Hand until my first 4e group slew the death knight general leading them and his lieutenants, causing them to collapse as an organized force.

The city's position is completely unsustainable; it can barely feed itself, there are tremendous political tensions between the farmers (about a third of the city was turned into rice fields to feed itself when it was under siege, but a diet of rice, apples and occasional fish or goat is not a long-term solution to anything), who want to leave, and the government, who fear that the city will starve without them; the military government and the civilian former government (things swing back and forth between the two, but right now it's a military dictatorship); various street gangs and criminal elements; various aristocratic houses; the local dwarves, a local tribe of orcs that have peace treaties with the dwarves and the city, and the city itself; and so on.

Despite all this urban and political fun just begging for the pcs to get involved in it, most of the action so far has been in the local megadungeon. That's how it goes with a sandbox. Shrug.

Paraxis

Explorer
Friday nights I run a game where the characters are in a homebrew world, where they are in the first colonial city established in a new found continent, a lot of inspiration comes from Eberron and the city of Stormreach on Xen'drik.

Sunday afternoons I run a game where they are going through a Pathfinder mega dungeon called Emerald Spire.

Monday nights, I play in a Temple of Elemental Evil campaign, where I play a half-elf valor bard noble who uses rapier/shield/studded leather and maxes out dexterity.

Saturday nights, I play in a Tyranny of Dragons campaign, where I play a human nature cleric, who uses a his shillelagh to whoop dragon cultist rear ends.

My house rules, ehh not much.
I roll initiative for every combatant not groups, roll20 makes this easy.
If you take an extended rest while wearing medium or heavy armor you gain a level of exhaustion instead of recover one.
I give most monsters more hit points, my players can handle it.
Many monsters have more interesting abilities and powers to spice them up.
I don't track ammunition, or as I put it count coppers. I could care less how much a beer, ale, or nights stay at an inn costs.
I ignore encumbrance.
A good number of magic items were custom made since the DMG just came out and I like mine more anyway.

Gave out a boon in one of my campaigns that gave all the characters the breath weapon and resistance of a dragonborn, they dealt with some ancient magic and got a favor from a powerful dragon spirit.

Dausuul

Legend
Playing a 13th-level Chaotic Evil necromancer on a mission from hell. At such time as this character dies or leaves the party (highly probable--the other PCs have already agreed on a code word for "take out the necromancer," and I can't say I blame them), my backup character is a transmuter sea-captain.

Eventually I will no doubt step behind the DM screen again, but what was meant to be a high-level one-shot has morphed into an ongoing campaign and I'm having a great time. It's not quite a sandbox game, but it's certainly not following a pre-scripted plot. We're using mostly standard rules, except that we count diagonals 3E-style instead of 4E-style.

When I do resume DMing, my plan (if the rest of the group agrees) is to run something both gritty and sandboxy. I'd like to use the "slow rests" option, where a short rest is 1 night and a long rest is a week, possibly homebrew races, and certainly homebrew backgrounds. Instead of "Save the world," the theme would be, "The world sucks. Decide how you think it should be made better--or worse--and make it happen."

Last edited:

JTorres

First Post
I DM a group comprised of two old-timers who returned to D&D after a two edition break, two youngsters (son and daughter) of one of the old-timers, and a college kid I work with who is a life-long PC-gamer playing tabletop RPGs for the first time. As for me, I stopped playing D&D somewhere around 3.5 before returning during the playtest. Our group began meeting on a weekly basis shortly after this past Gen Con and we have played through Lost Mines, one of Goodman Games 5th edition adventures and some homebrewed stuff I cooked up from some of my old books. Now we are starting a new campaign where I'll be using the Parsantium setting book. Additionally, the college guy wants to try his hand at DMing and he wants to run our group through HotDQ wherein I will be playing a human warlock with the GOO pact. I was also playing at my FLGS for Adventurers League for awhile but my schedule hasn't allowed me to continue with that.

Remove ads