• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e Sorcerer versus Wizard, which is better?

Esker

Hero
Even a Sorcerer should never put all their eggs in one basket.

Well I fortunately had a blast spell so I wasn't doing nothing, but with so few spells known, and so many fewer options for those few spells known, you can't diversify much.

Having polymorph would have been really useful in that situation, which I didn't (if I recall it was a last minute toss up between that and something else I can't remember now), but I wasn't taking twinned spell since I already had an expensive option in the hound.

I had subtle (with Suggestion and Hold Person) and careful (with Hypnotic Pattern). And then I wanted some non-concentration options, so I had Blindness (also useable out of combat with subtle spell), and a single target blast and an AoE blast (took vitriolic sphere over fireball for flavor reasons and, I think, blight?). Then defensive spells: Shield, Mage Armor and Absorb Elements, and that's my entire arsenal.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Well I fortunately had a blast spell so I wasn't doing nothing, but with so few spells known, and so many fewer options for those few spells known, you can't diversify much.

Having polymorph would have been really useful in that situation, which I didn't (if I recall it was a last minute toss up between that and something else I can't remember now), but I wasn't taking twinned spell since I already had an expensive option in the hound.

I had subtle (with Suggestion and Hold Person) and careful (with Hypnotic Pattern). And then I wanted some non-concentration options, so I had Blindness (also useable out of combat with subtle spell), and a single target blast and an AoE blast (took vitriolic sphere over fireball for flavor reasons and, I think, blight?). Then defensive spells: Shield, Mage Armor and Absorb Elements, and that's my entire arsenal.

Darkness spell + Subtle would be a head ache for the dragon if you are starting combat from a position of hiding.

Also Dragons are usually a lot taller then PCs, so launch Darkness higher up, it will blind the Dragon, who does not have True Sight if I remember correctly, but would still allow your allies to attack without being blinded, because they cab still see the legs of the Dragon. To see them them as easily, the Dragon would have to drop prone basically.

Honestly Solasta has me thinking in more 3 dimesional terms tactically.

Esker

Hero
Also Dragons are usually a lot taller then PCs, so launch Darkness higher up, it will blind the Dragon, who does not have True Sight if I remember correctly, but would still allow your allies to attack without being blinded, because they cab still see the legs of the Dragon.

Adult dragons have blindsight, alas. I guess if you're beyond their 60' blindsight range you could use this to give yourself advantage on attacks and disadvantage to be attacked (plus they don't know where you are within the darkness for breath weapon aim purposes). You're not making many attack rolls at this level as a sorcerer though, so it would mostly be defensive.

Esker

Hero
As a sorcerer if you were building for a dragon encounter at 9th level, your best bet I think is either Telekinesis, and then quickening blasts while you use your action to try to maintain it, or twinning polymorph to turn whichever of your allies is most dependent on being in melee into giant apes so they get extra HP and can throw rocks. Even animate objects, your objects aren't immune to fear and will have a tough time saving against frightful presence (this is something a bard tried in another game vs an adult dragon; it wasn't effective).

A wizard though can use Bigby's hand for an easier grapple (since the hand's grapple check is at +8) that uses a bonus action, for the same effect as the sorcerer quickening their blasts every round while they use their action on Telekinesis. No restrained condition, but the main thing is keeping the dragon on the ground. Or as I said above they can use Wall of Force for a no save break in the action.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
but I wasn't taking twinned spell since I already had an expensive option in the hound.

Every sorcerer I've build, which is a lot more then the number I've actually gotten to play, I've always taken Twin Spell. Not saying it's a feat tax for the class - Sorcerers have a lot of good options and you had one in the Hound. Just that for how I personally enjoy 5e casters, I like a big concentration spell and then a bunch of instants, and sorcerers can do something with Twin Spell and single target concentration that no other caster can do so it's always the aspect I want to focus on with them.

5ekyu

Hero
Every sorcerer I've build, which is a lot more then the number I've actually gotten to play, I've always taken Twin Spell. Not saying it's a feat tax for the class - Sorcerers have a lot of good options and you had one in the Hound. Just that for how I personally enjoy 5e casters, I like a big concentration spell and then a bunch of instants, and sorcerers can do something with Twin Spell and single target concentration that no other caster can do so it's always the aspect I want to focus on with them.
It also gives really good cantrip use for those "bonus action spell... and..." moments.

Nothing like quicken fireball then twin chill touch against two that seem seriously hurt. That's a 3 pt of sorcery turn you can be happy with most anytime.

Twin guiding bolt fir divine skil does not suck either.

gyor

Legend
For the Divine Soul I like Extend Metagic, it's goes well with a fair amount of cleric spells, and it's economical at only 1 Sorcerer point. Double duration is like casting the spell twice, one after the other.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
For the Divine Soul I like Extend Metagic, it's goes well with a fair amount of cleric spells, and it's economical at only 1 Sorcerer point. Double duration is like casting the spell twice, one after the other.

It is hard for me to give up Subtle spell when I can have some great spells that go with it. Shut down enemy casters with Silence, or hide that you are cursing or giving a geas to someone...

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It is hard for me to give up Subtle spell when I can have some great spells that go with it. Shut down enemy casters with Silence, or hide that you are cursing or giving a geas to someone...

If your campaign is enemy caster heavy, subtle spell is great. Subtle spells (as long as they don't have visible material components)cannot be counterspelled.

Esker

Hero

Subtle spell is probably my favorite thing about sorcerers. If I ever did an evil campaign I'd want to play a sociopath sorcerer that goes around town using suggestion / phantasmal force / Hypnotic Pattern, etc. with subtle spell on unsuspecting NPCs, just for the lulz.

Remove ads