D&D 5E 5e Sorcerer versus Wizard, which is better?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I am currently favoring the idea of Diviner or Lore Master so I can change spell damage into Radiant and increase the DCs of my spells, I like having high DCs...I like fun tricks though to, so right now I am open to ideas.
If your DM allows Lore Master, it is a no contest. Go with Wizard. Lore Master is that good.

Shiroiken

Legend
It really depends on what you want. I've broken it down below, based on my opinions and experiences. If you want a solid character that can do a lot in and out of combat, go with wizard. If you want to be a blaster or do some weird combo, sorcerer is your friend.

Wizard Advantages
Spell versatility (prepared spells vs. known spells)
Ritual versatility (cast unprepared rituals)
Spell variety (AFAIK, there isn't a single spell the sorcerer gets that wizard doesn't)

Wizard Disadvantages
Poor Sub-classes (most are fairly meh)
Poor Multi-classing (no other Int based casters, except Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster)

Sorcerer Advantages
Metamagic (spell improvements)
More spells per day (by giving up Meta-magic)
Sub-classes (Dragon using Fire magic is strong, and Wild Mage can be awesome if the DM uses the Wild Magic Surge and Tides of Chaos frequently, Divine Soul is amazing)
Better Multi-classing (Bard, Paladin, and Warlock all Cha casting)

Sorcerer Disadvantages
Spammer (limited spells used repeatedly)
No Rituals

aco175

Legend
I see a lot of good points here, but nobody asked about the rest of the party and what the others are playing. Not sure how much this may influence what you should build, but if there are more casters, than that may change what your role in the group. Same thing on style of play. If your group is combat focused over roleplay, that will change the way to look at the 2 classes.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, Lore Master is very broken.

Of course, that's why I'd recommend staying away from it.

I just looked it over:

• INT bonus to initiative (in place of Cha, but still);
  • substitute a damage type for another damage type;
  • substitute a saving throw for a different saving throw !?! Once per rest, but wow.

And those are just the 2nd level abilities.

Gadget

Adventurer
See, you both make valid observations. I do like me some spell options, currently, I do have ritual caster feat for the sorcerer because I like having options. I know I can do some fun stuff with the sorcerer and I like the metamagic, but I find that the spells like Vampiric touch that I want to twin aren't on his spell list.

The meta magic is a strong, very strong, argument for the sorcerer, if I can find the right combination of spells to make me happy. The wizard though can have some good options too, like portent for the divinity arc or being able to cast any one spell from any spell list for the lore master, or even the lore masters ability to make any energy type into another (although I don't think monsters have weakness to certain elements like they did in past editions). Anyway, keep the feedback rolling please.

I know I'm somewhat late, but Loremaster is not a published sub-class for the Wizard; for good reason. It is very broken and was merely put out in a web article to test the waters for a concept. One that was never followed up on for publication, unlike some of the other Unearthed Arcanea content.

Also, Vampiric Touch, in addition to not being on the Sorcerer's spell list (and not being a very good spell in any case), is not eligible for the Twin Spell Metamagic as it is a self spell and Twin spell reads:

When you Cast a Spell that Targets only one creature and doesn’t have a range of self...

It sounds to me as if Wizard would be more of what you are after, as the Metamagic options do offer some flexibility to make up for the Sorcerer's limited spell list, but there are restrictions on their application that are not always obvious at first glance.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
It really depends on what you want. I've broken it down below, based on my opinions and experiences. If you want a solid character that can do a lot in and out of combat, go with wizard. If you want to be a blaster or do some weird combo, sorcerer is your friend.

Wizard Advantages
Spell versatility (prepared spells vs. known spells)
Ritual versatility (cast unprepared rituals)
Spell variety (AFAIK, there isn't a single spell the sorcerer gets that wizard doesn't)

Wizard Disadvantages
Poor Sub-classes (most are fairly meh)
Poor Multi-classing (no other Int based casters, except Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster)

Sorcerer Advantages
Metamagic (spell improvements)
More spells per day (by giving up Meta-magic)
Sub-classes (Dragon using Fire magic is strong, and Wild Mage can be awesome if the DM uses the Wild Magic Surge and Tides of Chaos frequently, Divine Soul is amazing)
Better Multi-classing (Bard, Paladin, and Warlock all Cha casting)

Sorcerer Disadvantages
Spammer (limited spells used repeatedly)
No Rituals
I did find a list somewhere that had the Spells at the sorcerer knows that the wizard doesn't in the supposed wizard knows that the sorcerer doesn't and I did post that above. I do like me some fun combos with I think the problem is that as soon as you get a really fun combo off if it breaks the game then the DM gets mad and that's kind of why I'm shying away from sticking with the Warlock sorcerer combo. So I think I'm determined to go wizard and I'm just trying to get a handle on what I want the race and sub-class and Feats to be but thank you for the breakdown

Remove ads