D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Deities (Part 2: Greyhawk) Boccob Advances!

dave2008

Legend
Obviously not @MNblockhead but in case he doesn't log in in time...

Is it better if it is "Saint Cuthbert of the Cudgel"?

Anyway, if St. Cuthbert is gone then the Village of Hommlet in T1 will have even less protection, and many of the villagers who belong to his church will be adrift. It's not Canon Terjon's fault in the module that he has low Charisma - it was 1e and not taking a dump (stat). And it's kind of cool that the church's three main tenets are just: obey the law, be good, and use common sense (with some personal interpretation of scripture being just fine). One of the two holy days is "Breadgiving Day" which is dedicated to feeding the hungry. Finally, Dragon #100 had an adventure to London in a non-magical place called Earth to retrieve his mace.
That is helpful. I like the tenets, but can you tell me anything about the god itself. What has it done, what does it stand for?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Beory 17
Boccob 19
Celestian 20
Heironeous 20
Kord 10
Obad-Hai 20
Olidammara 21
Pelor 18
St. Cuthbert 11
Trithereon 7
Ulaa 5

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That is helpful. I like the tenets, but can you tell me anything about the god itself. What has it done, what does it stand for?
St. Cuthbert is an ascended mortal from Greyhawk:

• Saint Cuthbert and Common Sense. This short book, normally no more than thirty pages long, uses simple language to explain the tenets of Saint Cuthbert's faith. Some personal interpretation is permitted, but the essentials (obey the law, be good, and use common sense) remain the same. Those who fail at living up to the Saint's virtues are advised to turn to their communities for advice and support, and to prey to Saint Cuthbert to clear up their confusion. Copies of Saint Cuthbert and Common Sense are normally written by hand in easy-to-read letters, sometimes with simple drawings. Gilded illuminations and elaborate calligraphy are not in harmony with the Cuthbertine aesthetic.
- The Saint Among Us. This is a story of Saint Cuthbert's origins as a mortal shepherd who lived a simple, blameless, charitable life long ago, who was rewarded by the gods by being brought to Oerth where he walked the world as a holy man teaching evil the error of its ways. Eventually he became a god; the tale attempts to guide others by example.

- Parables of the Wise Fool. The dogmatically correct stories that the Tales of the Vulgar Fool work of heresy is a parody of, these stories involve agriculture, animal husbandry, crafts, fending off beasts, fighting, and other common activities. The protagonist, the Wise Fool, is normally portrayed much as Saint Cuthbert is, as a young or middle-aged man with a crumpled hat, who shows up well-meaning but self-important antagonists with simple common sense. Many of the most common sayings used in the Cuthbertine faith are attributed to the Wise Fool. These books are often illustrated, and simple paintings of the Wise Fool are common on rural chapels and the like.

- The Boy Who Cried Wolf. This story, possibly brought by Saint Cuthbert himself from another world, tells of a shepherd boy who tells lies about a wolf attack and is consequently not believed when a wolf actually attacks. A variation of this story is "The Boy Who Cried Orc."

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

from greyhawk.fandom: Saint Cuthbert is a foe of many evil deities, including Iuz and Vecna.

In Dragon Magazine #100 he hid his Mace in our universe for safe keeping at one point.

Based in part on the real Saint Cuthbert: Cuthbert - Wikipedia

Here is an excerpt from worldanvil dot com:

Saint Cuthbert is characterized as a staunch opponent of evil, a zealous and driven deity who values discipline, honest, zeal and pragmatism, all tempered by common sense. He is a rough sort of god, hot-tempered and staunch in his conviction

[F]or all his rough edges, Saint Cuthbert is a practical god who does care intensely for the people who follow him. As a god of common sense, he values judgment and individuality; the letter of the law should be strict, but people should be flexible in applying it, not just follow law blindly (the key trait distinguishing him from Pholtus). Punish thievery, yes, but a man who stole a loaf of bread to feed his starving family should just get a flogging and a scolding for not asking for help first, you shouldn't just cut his hand off.

From the 1e DMG Artifacts and Relics Section:

1643040842661.png

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
@CleverNickName maybe some people play CN like that, but the N to me doesn't stand for sometimes I do good and sometimes I do evil, it's more, I'll do good if there is something in it for me, but also won't harm others for my own gain. Combine that with Chaotic meaning believing that personal freedom outweighs orderly society and you end up with a rich character who cares about the freedom of individuals but struggles with being a hero due to their own selfishness. See Han Solo :)

Remove ads