D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Deities (Part 2: Greyhawk) Boccob Advances!

Omand

Hero
Beory 18
Boccob 17 + 1 = 18
Celestian 20
Heironeous 20
Kord 11
Obad-Hai 20
Olidammara 19 - 2 = 17
Pelor 19
St. Cuthbert 13
Trithereon 5

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
@MNblockhead this is your chance: convince me not to downvote St. Cuthbert. I don't have a lot of skin in this battle (I just don't like his name), but you seem to care. So why do you care. I will give you until noon EST to prevent my downvote - go!

St. Cuthbert is one of the two oldest gods in D&D history, created alongside Pholtus by Gary Gygax in 1972.

I love the paradox of the name. A god who is a saint. I like the crossover with the real world (mace in a London museum, plus the obvious inspiration from a real-world figure). I dig the sincerity and out-of-place normality of St. Cuthbert. I liked that he never really crossed over into other D&D pantheons. He's a quintessential, syncretic, somewhat incongruent, Gygaxian creation from the early days of the game and triggers warm nostalgic feelings in this old, common-yokel grognard.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Beory 18
Boccob 19
Celestian 20
Heironeous 18
Kord 11
Obad-Hai 20
Olidammara 17
Pelor 19
St. Cuthbert 12
Trithereon 5

Parmandur

Book-Friend
St. Cuthbert is one of the two oldest gods in D&D history, created alongside Pholtus by Gary Gygax in 1972.

I love the paradox of the name. A god who is a saint. I like the crossover with the real world (mace in a London museum, plus the obvious inspiration from a real-world figure). I dig the sincerity and out-of-place normality of St. Cuthbert. I liked that he never really crossed over into other D&D pantheons. He's a quintessential, syncretic, somewhat incongruent, Gygaxian creation from the early days of the game and triggers warm nostalgic feelings in this old, common-yokel grognard.
The really weird partis comparing Greyhawk "St. Cuthbert" to the actual Anglo-Saxon Monk of that name...

Remove ads