D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XI: Rangers)

Undrave

Legend
Barb and ranger have the same weapons proficiencies; are you referring to a fighting style? A tree barb would certainly work, but a spellcasting tree martial seems pretty decent to me. Hell, with druidic warrior fighting style, you can pick up thorn whip for extra plant-y goodness.
Yeah but a Barbarian would rarely use a ranged weapon until absolutely necessary, since you need to attack with STR to get all your Rage bonus.

Imagine a Barbarian that turns into the giant tree monster when raging?

Lycurgon

Adventurer
Beast Master 7 + 1 = 8 not bad with the Tasha's alternative feature and Beasts.
Fey Wanderer 13
Gloom Stalker 23
Horizon Walker 20
Hunter 20 - 2 = 18 boring. Does anyone actually like this for anything other than a 3 Lvl dip for Horde Breaker?

Not really any subclasses left that I want to vote up but there are some i want to down vote. Hunter is boring. Gloom Stalker is powerful but I think the theme is lacking. Not a fan of Horizon Walker, although it might shine for Planescape once that comes out.
So the 2 left that are okay (but not my favourites) are the 2 lowest values. 😕

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Stalking the night, invisible to the dark would be great if that theme was fully developed as their shtick.

But then they get Disguise illusions which means that arent striking from the dark anymore and then resistance to psychic attacks because lurking in shadows? as well as Rope trick to create a random dimensional space. Staking the night those aint

I suppose Batman works
Those all make sense in a classic D&D world, though. The disguise magic idk even know what could possibly be counter-thematic about here, i think what is missing here is a clear communication that this is an assassin of supernatural predators, not an outdoorsman hunter that happens to work at night.

It’s also as much about the Underdark as it is about nocturnal hunting, because in a classic D&D world that’s a natural and obvious link.

Remove ads