D&D (2024) 5e vs Oe Cleric...

I just want them to keep a fairly basic fighter class for those that don't want all the complexity.
I just want a complex martial character next to the simple fighter

I honestly think they need to break up the fighter along the three subclasses in the 2014phb...

a half caster gish class with dedicated mid complexity with some spells

a simple fighter for people like you to enjoy

a complex warrior (I don't need it named fighter... we can have a warblade or warlord or marshal or sword sage or anime sword guy or martial artist master or something else) that is about as complex at build, level up and in scope of in game choices as a full caster... but also able to effect the world like the full casters can.... heck if they were ONLY limited to half caster effects able to duplicate 3rd level spells at 10th and 5th level spells at 17th that would be a step up

mellored

Legend
a complex warrior (I don't need it named fighter... we can have a warblade or warlord or marshal or sword sage or anime sword guy or martial artist master or something else) that is about as complex at build, level up and in scope of in game choices as a full caster... but also able to effect the world like the full casters can...
Monks?
Seems like they could get complex and mystic abilities.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I mean you can (and in my game I will require) pick your god and rp it that way... I mean do you really NEED your domain for those 1st 2 levels to be a cleric of pelor or Rao, or Grumish or whatever?
No, you don't. But it's nice to feel like your choice of deity has a mechanical difference right off the bat, and that you're not functionally identical to some other Cleric.

Chaosmancer

Legend
If they don't want to drop too many choices on new players, rather than push subclasses to level 3, maybe everyone should start at level 0!

This is what levels 1 and 2 are supposed to be. They are the training wheels levels until the "real" meat at level 3. They just got muddled because public insistence clashed with Next design, and we ended up stuck half way with no clear signposts

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
No, you don't. But it's nice to feel like your choice of deity has a mechanical difference right off the bat, and that you're not functionally identical to some other Cleric.
Again, it's would be nice. But it actively make a worse cleric by either front loading it or nerfing everything the cleric gets early.

Greg K

Legend
So I'm looking at the 5e and Oe Clerics and... Honestly I'm not terribly impressed?

Like... I kind of like that you get the choice of Holy Order to gain different benefits for different orders. Thaumaturgy is, for example, a really -neat- option, giving back a long-rest use on a short rest and an extra always-available action is nice to me.
The only thing nice I can say about the OneDND Cleric playtest is the Holy Order.

Remove ads