D&D 5E 5E Without Magic (PCs)

Tony Vargas

Legend
Charismatic Mastermind Sage?
Oh, like the SCAG Mastermind Rogue sub-class? Yes. No casting, does some cool stuff, doesn't seem so underpowered when there's no casters about...
...the PDK/bannerette could finally be a bit useful, too, since it actually can heal fallen allies from 0, if not by much, back in the fight is back in the fight.

Oh, and wasn't there a spell-less Ranger somewhere?

Oofta

Legend
Oh, like the SCAG Mastermind Rogue sub-class? Yes. No casting, does some cool stuff, doesn't seem so underpowered when there's no casters about...
...the PDK/bannerette could finally be a bit useful, too, since it actually can heal fallen allies from 0, if not by much, back in the fight is back in the fight.

Oh, and wasn't there a spell-less Ranger somewhere?

Rogue scout.

Since the object of this is to stick with D&D I'd homebrew and borrow and steal rules from other systems already mentioned (including Torchbearer).
You could easily modify the Bard/Skald, Cleric/Paladin and Ranger classes without magic
Classes introduced - the Alchemist or Herbalist (or strip these ideas and include them into the above)

Rules I'd highlight in the campaign, possibly change/simplify in some cases:
Ideals, Bonds and Flaws
Light/Darkness
Encumbrance
Languages
Ammunition
Treasure
Clothing
Item Condition/Damage
Age (affects abilities)
Weather
Skills/Feats - modify Expertise
Lingering Wounds
Conditions - Deafness, Blindness, Thirst & Hunger, Fear, Sanity, Poisoned and some new ones.

I'd improve the 5e Equipment (including weapons and armour).
More detailed, more useful

I'd reduce Hit Points by 50% and reduce the initial 27 buy-in attribute points to 23-25.

Last edited:

GamerforHire

Explorer
I think you could play a perfectly fine and enjoyable 5e campaign with no spellcasters in the party, at least through mid-levels. After the party hit about level 5, you would need to become judicious about which monsters and situations you created for the campaign, because some higher level monsters really require the party to have access to magic to fight them effectively; however, even this problem can be mitigated by providing the party access to appropriate magic items. Can you play a higher-level published adventure with a party containing no spellcasters? Probably not. But in a homebrew campaign, sure.

It is also not necessary to go out and create a dozen new non-spellcasting classes just because you are not allowing spellcasters. It is not the end of the world if the adventuring party has two Fighters and two Rogues; presumably your campaign will have more for these non-spellcasting types to do because you are not designing anything for spellcasters.

why these may I ask? how does 50% HP add to no magic DnD?
If I had to embark on a no magic-styled campaign, I'd imagine a grittier setting where one would not see an ever inflationary hit point expansion and 20's in abilities.
I'd have damage reduction be a thing - characters would invest in shields, armour and parring maneuvers that reduce damage. In a no-magic campaign I would not want the 5 crossbowmen are pointing at you situation be a nothing-burger due to hit points.

Personal preference :)

Remove ads