D&D 5E [5E] YP: Sunless Citadel

What Adventure should I run for my next PbP Campaign?

• Lost Mine of Phandelver

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Sunless Citadel

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other WotC Adventure Path

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other Adventure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

purplerook

First Post
I wouldn't worry about two or three quick, back and forth posts before others respond, especially if they aren't advancing the plot very fast. Decision making can be tiresome in PbP. I always ask; does it assist in advancing the plot? or; does it display my character's personality? but always be sure you aren't leaving slower posters behind. I find the scout get s a bit more screen time while scouting anyway, since "we wait here until the scout returns" doesn't require much in terms of maintenance and decision making.

My post was mostly to put Edgar forward to be the first person down the rope, though I was struggling to write it in character without meta gaming and making assumptions about other characters replies and was running out of time to complete the post, so I do owe a slight apology for the quality of the post.

I actually found your reply to Edgar's question very insightful to Ara's character and a "yes" vote for climbing down the rope without any further checking.

Thanks for the feedback on the post. I am, new to PbP and quite taken with the format. Please feel free to chime with pointers or corrections. On the pacing, it can be hard to determine what is merely descriptive (e.g., climb down the rope) and what is a prelude to an ambush - e.g. you slide down the rope to find a bunch of goblins waiting.

On character, you will find Ara quick with theoretical tactical advice (as befits his Intel and training), but unwilling to take the lead and give orders due to his lack of practical experience and modest Charisma (10).

Overall, the party does need to sort out a marching order. Given that we are armor heavy and with a number of non-Darkvision characters, it probably makes sense to dispense with Stealth and put a heavy out front with the light spell.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
No problem.

My post was prompted both in character and out.

Kuhl was playing guide.
I was trying to involve another player (obeliske) and move the story along.

Kuhl is fine with any order; he is a man walking with a stick, and doesn't think of himself as an adventurer.

purplerook

First Post
[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION]. To bring our conversation on Find Familiar into the OOC thread. Ara is going to run the familiar significantly differently than my other Wizard. Alvyn, the Forest Gnome, treats his familiar like a Gnomish pet. In contrast, you will be seeing Ara use the familiar mechanically - like a tool. I am going for the feeling of something like a modern reconnaissance 'Drone' - an expensive piece of equipment to be protected, but not something with feelings. So,

Hooya, eye in the sky is operational... and just wait until I equip my drone with Hell Fire Missiles - er, I mean a Magic Missile Wand... just kidding :)

purplerook

First Post
[MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION],

I am working on an article about the Find Familiar spell - Google doc here. Let me know if there are any uses that you would like to limit and or disable for this game. Since Ara is running the 'drone' version of familiars. I am likely to try out any permissible uses of the spell and I am perfectly comfortable with you banning any uses before or after seeing them in action in the game.

purplerook

First Post
Pulling the marching order discussion into the OOC thread. It looks like Dhamion never made it to Oakhurst and we lost Roy on the road out of town. This means we lost two fighters (heavily armed and armored) and went from six to four characters.

If we decide that the party needs a scout, Ara will do it. He has Darkvision and the Stealth (+5) to go first. However, he lacks the perception (+2) to be good at spotting problems. Particularly given the Dark is Dim and Dim is disadvantage for Perception. We could try a situation where Who, Owl Familiar, is perched on Ara's shoulder (or backpack). Who happens to have better passive perception (13) and has advantage on Perception rolls involving eyesight or hearing - which would offset the disadvantage of dim light. With Mage Armor and Shield spell, Ara has an AC of 21 for one round. However, at eight hit points, one good shot might put him down.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think we're all pretty fragile right now. Kuhl has stealth but no dark vision. I think until we level, we just treat things head on. I guess we'll see.... :D

Obeliske

First Post
I want to apologize, I've been fairly distant in my posting allowing others to do things and not checking the posts nearly often enough, I recently started a new job and it's distracting me, I will endeavor to do better and be a more active part of the group.

Remove ads