D&D 5E 5th Edition: How to Make My DM Cry

Henry

Autoexreginated
Fastest way to make your DM cry is to stop bathing and then let the fumes get him.

Son, I've been to Gencon in August! I've stood in line with the Packbeards of Warhammer Battles Past, shoulder to shoulder with the Gamers of Primordial Funk who would curl the very nosehairs of Great Cthulhu himself! One lone unwashed gamer shall not send ME screaming into the night!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
If multiclassing works the way it did in the last play test, then a Wizard 19/Cleric 1 can use high-level spell slots to cast heightened cure wounds and be a very effective healer. I suspect this is why mass cure wounds is a a separate spell and not just a heightened cure wounds.

That's not a game-breaking exploit, but it is a little bit of niche erosion that may piss off another player who wants to be the party's dedicated healer.

Because proficiencies are so easy to come by, a Wizard 19/Cleric 1 can also pick up Perception, Investigation, Stealth, and Arcana, and thieves' tools proficiency. With the right feats and racial traits, and a decent Con, you can have a decent AC and HP. At that point you are like a 1-man adventuring party with nearly full wizard spellcasting. In theory you could be as tough as a non-optimized fighter.

Ichneumon

First Post
As a DM, I wouldn't cry in response to someone exploiting rules to trivialise my encounters. I might utter a three-word phrase comprising an obscene transitive, demonstrative adjective and coprological object, though, and let someone else run the game.

Shiroiken

Legend
Actually Pierce Hawthorne almost won in D&D, and it was Advanced.
Would you mind clarifying?

I know that in AD&D 1E they had many tournament adventures with elaborate scoring systems (I own many of them), but that's not quite the same. You didn't build your character (everything was pre-gens), so it was more about the skill of the player in solving problems. In this case you can win the tournament, but not the entire game (since it never really ends).

fba827

Adventurer
Would you mind clarifying?

I know that in AD&D 1E they had many tournament adventures with elaborate scoring systems (I own many of them), but that's not quite the same. You didn't build your character (everything was pre-gens), so it was more about the skill of the player in solving problems. In this case you can win the tournament, but not the entire game (since it never really ends).

It was a joke - a reference to an episode of the show Community where they played a game of d&d.

Remove ads