D&D 5E 5th Edition: How to Make My DM Cry

Werebat

Explorer
It's never too early for optimization, is it?

And by "optimization", I mean using every rule in the book to smash that "game balance" crap to flinders and WIN!

From what we know about 5E to date, what are the corner case rules, 133t class options, and other xxxploitz that will most likely be used by hardcore powergamers in their pursuit of table dominance?

I'm not really advocating that sort of thing, just wondering what we can expect to see over at the optimization forums in the near future.

JC99

Explorer
At the moment there's not much to optimize. In a couple weeks I'm sure someone will find a spell or feat combo in the PHB to break.

Werebat

Explorer
As a DM that wouldn't make me cry. It would make me say, "This isn't the group for you. Good luck elsewhere."

But the rules!

I mean, this game is supposed to be all about the players having fun, right? A creative DM would be able to come up with appropriate challenges for any character concept!

You're not an uncreative DM, are you?

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Not much to break right now. You can look at the Mountain Dwarf wizard thread as the level of optimization we can currently achieve. Not much there. An extra 1 or 2 % maybe?

Evenglare

Adventurer
There's a ceiling for optimizations thanks to bounded accuracy. You can optimize, but honestly it's not going to outshine others like 3e did. They didnt go through 2 years of playtesting just to put out a broken mess of a game.

jgsugden

Legend
Optimization is a fun exercise to figure out how to get the most XXXX from the rules as written. As an academic exercise, it is wonderful and intriguing.

However, when brought to the game table, it disrupts the balance of the game and makes it less fun (for most groups) by either creating spotlight characters, or forcing the DM to escalate to match (which results in balanced monsters that are equal to the overpowered offense of the PCs and devastating to the typical defenses of those PCs - which means higher amounts of PC deaths). Regardless, it is a waste - because if you up your game, the DM will up their game and that means that you'll never actually get the advantage you seek.

Don't be that guy. Don't optimize the PC - optimize the fun. Play PCs with fun mechanics, not the most powerful PC. Everyone is going to have more fun if you're bringing a fun character with interesting quirks rather than the Frankenstein Monk 3 / Ranger 2 / Barbarian 1 / Cleric 2 / Wizard 4 that is cobbled to maximize DPR.

jgsugden

Legend
But the rules!

I mean, this game is supposed to be all about the players having fun, right? A creative DM would be able to come up with appropriate challenges for any character concept!

You're not an uncreative DM, are you?
DMs spend a lot of time creating a fun game for players. Being able to use the unmodified game, as designed, allows them to do it more quickly.. If they have to account for optimized PCs by being creative, it increases the time you're forcing them to spend to bring you a game. Generally, that isn't going to add to the fun of the game, and it is going to get old. Fast.

Further, those creative DMs that do take the effort will find that your optimization makes large segments of the monster and challenge options unsuitable for your group. That means they have to go to the same bag over and over and over and over and everyone gets bored by facing the same type of challenge over and over.

Don't be that guy. Keep optimization where it belongs - on the message boards.

Remove ads