D&D 5E 5th Edition Modern or Near Future Rules

But HP don't mimic that all. The crew aren't dead because they almost never get hit. This is exactly what I mean. You're making my point for me, frankly!
They don't get hit because they are wearing plot armour made out of hp. Of course, in Kirk's case, it doesn't protect his shirt.
If you change HP to plot armour
HP has always been plot armour. It's just that some people haven't noticed because they don't know how deadly knives are.

The Last Action Hero is great for deconstructing action movie tropes. Near the beginning the hero and two beat cops are caught in an exploding house. The hero dusts himself off and walks away, the cops are both dead. Why? Because the hero has a sackload of hit points, but the cops are one hit die mooks.

The Storytelling system for World of Darkness has got health levels, not hit-points.

D20 Modern by WotC had got a rule about massive damage. If you suffer +50 damage with one attack, then save check or the PC dies.

* D20 Modern can't be only for the digital age, but also for different historical ages, with different technology levels. The firearms from the pirate ages, the conquest of the Far West or the WWI are different, and game designers need to find the right power balance between martial artists/melee hand-to-hand fighters and shooters/musketeers/gunslingers. If a cowboy with a repeating rifle can kill a black bear then the challenge rating or XP reward needs an adjustment.

* If you try to create a d20 version of the characters from the videogame "Marvel vs Capcom", or "DC vs Mortal Kombat" you will find the conflict between gameplay and coherence. Or a d20 version of the Blizzard's MOBA "Heroes of the Storm", with characters from different franchises and genres. Here the bullets don't cause more damage than any attacks with nude fists, or melee weapons can hurt more than guns.

* I guess WotC wants a d20 modern easy to be adapted to videogame, or what allows a easier adaptation of videogames from different subgenres.

* This is not about the stats for modern firearms or vehicles. We can get them with the SRD of d20 Modern. The matter is about to find the right balance power for a sci-fi/epic fantasy crossover or when different playable factions have got different technologic levels.

Horwath

Legend
The Storytelling system for World of Darkness has got health levels, not hit-points.

they are HPs most of the time. Firearms deal lethal damage and all your HPs are "checked" with lethal damage you are out and start to bleed out.

HPs mostly range from 6 to 8. And default 9mm will do min of 2 damage if you have no armor, while sniper rifle in expert hands will one-shot anyone without armor or highly above average HPs, like 10.

I would rather the system by Starfinder. In WoD if you lose levels of health you suffer penalty, but in the d20 with only 1 hit point you still can fight.

We know most of shooter videogames one shot to kill PCs, even Grand Thief Auto. Or healing is too easy, only to touch a medical kit, or resting for a short time. D20 system hasn't been designed to be realist, but a fun, fast and simple gameplay.

If d20M is designed for shootings where PCs and PnC can be killed fastly then it can't be totally compatible with D&D, and Hasbro wants a d20 Modern 2.0. where Transformers and G.I.Joe can be mixed with D&D sourcebooks.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
This looks like exactly what you're looking for:

I backed the Kickstarter, and I already have my PDF. I suspect they're waiting for physical books before opening it up for sale to to the general public, but it's looking like that will be within a matter of weeks.

I came here to post this. I would think it would be a relatively minor task to set this in a more modern timeframe since most pulp adventures are in the '30s and '40s, but most weapons will operate the same so you'd just need to add a few computer/tech skills and make allowances for cell phones, computers, etc.

Horwath

Legend
I would rather the system by Starfinder. In WoD if you lose levels of health you suffer penalty, but in the d20 with only 1 hit point you still can fight.

We know most of shooter videogames one shot to kill PCs, even Grand Thief Auto. Or healing is too easy, only to touch a medical kit, or resting for a short time. D20 system hasn't been designed to be realist, but a fun, fast and simple gameplay.

If d20M is designed for shootings where PCs and PnC can be killed fastly then it can't be totally compatible with D&D, and Hasbro wants a d20 Modern 2.0. where Transformers and G.I.Joe can be mixed with D&D sourcebooks.

yes, you do suffer penalties, but you can reduce/ignore them with a cheap merit.

But yeah, a dedicated Modern 2.0 from WotC would be best if they print it. also it would be good test ground to go with 3d6 instead of d20.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I would think it would be a relatively minor task to set this in a more modern timeframe since most pulp adventures are in the '30s and '40s, but most weapons will operate the same so you'd just need to add a few computer/tech skills and make allowances for cell phones, computers, etc.
Amazing Adventures also encompasses some sci-fi, and it has rules for computer hacking.

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
Ultramodern5 just updated, adding in a bunch of content.

DriveThruRPG

BookOnly.png

Remove ads