6/30/08 update: Necromancer class (work in progress)

pyrogod

First Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll likely incorporate most of it. I am going to keep the hit points where they are, as Necromancers use HP as currency to some extent, as well as burning a lot of healing surges on pets and other players.

I'm very strongly considering doing an entire "From the Shadowfell" mini campaign setting booklet with 4-5 new shadow based classes, 20+ monsters, some campaign ideas, and an adventure. Would people be interested in that? I'm still working on the Necromancer, but I also have a couple other classes in the planning stages.

The next class I am thinking of is a custom creation called the Black Blooded. They are individuals who have their blood replaced with an artificial shadow-powered replacement, and have become living weapons. It is a striker class that focuses on interactions with the bloodied mechanic.

Any class requests for such a project? Illusionist is a low priority, as I expect others will do it better and fairly soon.

skullking

First Post
pyrogod said:
I'm very strongly considering doing an entire "From the Shadowfell" mini campaign setting booklet with 4-5 new shadow based classes, 20+ monsters, some campaign ideas, and an adventure. Would people be interested in that?

I would! One class I think the rules are crying out for is a 'deathpriest' for priests of Orcus, Nerull, Incabulos and similar. If you were to tackle that I would be doubly interested :)

Last edited:

winterwolf

First Post
I'd be quite happy if you put in Death to Life! I love this class, heh.
Well, we finished the KotSF last night, and it was a blast. I ran the necromancer as an NPC in the party (we needed a few spare characters, only 3 players and myself). When we got to the undead, the necromancer had some issues (we thought that his at-wills dealt necrotic damage) until we decided that the slowing attack dealt psychic damage.
Right now the necromancer's at-wills are untyped, as far as I can tell. It would fit the flavor if you made his black bolt a necrotic attack, and the weaken legs a psychic attack (perhaps you channel spirits to assault the victim's mind, slowing him and injuring him). This would let the necromancer pick up the psychic and necrotic damage feat. Otherwise, I don't have many suggestions! So far, so good!

pyrogod

First Post
Any new progress/updates on this class...about to playtest it and want to wait as long as possible to get the final version. thanks

Nothing major, but I'll be releasing a small update tonight or tomorrow if everything goes as expected.

Only major change at level 1 is going to be Death to Life being added, and the Undead Control I feat given for free (so that all necromancers get a minion at level one. The other Undead Control feats remain the same).

The approximate rules for Death to Life is as follows, if you end up playing before the update goes live:

Death to Life (Necromancer Class Feature)
Encounter Special (may be used 2 times per encounter, this increases to 3 times per encounter at level 16)
Standard Action Ranged 5
Target: A dying ally
Effect: The ally is healed as if they spent a healing surge. You lose one healing surge.

I still won't have paragon and higher minions done, but unless anyone expects to need them within the next week or so, I will do them in the near future.

I do have a little update on the Black Blooded. I have a bit of the class done, and it seems like it could be pretty interesting. It is a class that will get more powerful as combat goes on longer, as opposed to less power (many classes will go through encounters and dailies early on, while several Black Blooded abilities will likely get saved due to the mechanics). So, they will start out a little slow but end with a big bang.

Remove ads