D&D General 6 Ability Scores but 4 Classic Classes?

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
Heh. There are only Four Abilities.

Strength (Brute Force + Health)
Dexterity (Precision + Mobility)
Charisma (Sociability + Willpower)
Intelligence (Knowledge + Perception)

The corresponding classic classes are:

Strength: Fighter
Dexterity: Rogue
Charisma: Cleric
Intelligence: Wizard

as for Willpower for me it belongs to Wizards ( as for Bending Reality )
while it also belongs to Cha ( and it is a clever assignation to join Willpower with Sociability thanks )
:)

le Redoutable

You mean Shaolin Monk ?
( I would make one as Wis x Dex )
( then looking at 1st ed UA there comes the Barbarian who got special bonuses to hp relative to his Con score , and Warriors who got more hp than the other 3 core Classes )
about Shaolin Monks , perhaps they could name them as Monk/Brutes ( lol )

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I didn't said it can't be done.

I said it can't be done in a balanced way that the majority of 5e fans would enjoy the result.
It definitely can be done; I'm running a classless 5e game right now that's up to 7th level where everyone gets one feat a level.

And you're absolutely right that doing it in a balanced way that the majority of fans would like is close to impossible. It only works for my game because balance is only a loose concern and I'm very comfortable getting my hands dirty making up new feats and rules on the spot.

le Redoutable

Heh. There are only Four Abilities.

Strength (Brute Force + Health)
Dexterity (Precision + Mobility)
Charisma (Sociability + Willpower)
Intelligence (Knowledge + Perception)

The corresponding classic classes are:

Strength: Fighter
Dexterity: Rogue
Charisma: Cleric
Intelligence: Wizard
again, Rogues ( to me ) are a mix of Brute Force and Precision ( who erupts as Krav-Maga ? )
and, ( sorry ) Mobility , Manoeuvrability, what about Jump in - Jump out ( of the battlefield, or Reach )

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
every ability in 5E can be reworked to be worth feat or half-feat. It's really not that hard.
The thing is the value of an option is dependent on all the options youve already chosen.

So your system will never have cost = value because value is variable.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The thing is the value of an option is dependent on all the options youve already chosen.

So your system will never have cost = value because value is variable.
It's definitely easier to do if you have your "feat" options be at lower power level, and mostly give horizontal growth rather than vertical, though. Use a much shallower power curve than your baseline D&D experience.
Leave powerful options as magic items or other acquired boons in play.

Imagine a 5e that's pretty much like normal, except you can't take a level in a class past 4. That's roughly analogous to the power level you'd want to make the idea feasible.

Yaarel

He Mage
again, Rogues ( to me ) are a mix of Brute Force and Precision ( who erupts as Krav-Maga ? )
and, ( sorry ) Mobility , Manoeuvrability, what about Jump in - Jump out ( of the battlefield, or Reach )
The Sneak Attack of a Rogue is mostly Precision, knowing where exactly to aim at an unaware helpless target. The Precision is devastating.

Jump-in jump-out, as a combat tactic, relates to Mobility.

The Rogue class demonstrates an aptitude for Dexterity (Precision + Mobility).

More it's impossible to balance without cutting a bunch of ideas that your customers will want.
What is this balance you keep talking about? :ROFLMAO:
From the guys who created balance come the several versions of the ranger, the champion, the twilight cleric, the artificer, the rune knight, a combat encounter system that is bonkers and a daily healed-like rest mechanic.

I'm more inclined to put it down to not thinking out the box.

You'll end up with a product only a niche audience wants and struggle to make your money back.
So the reason D&D makes money is class levels? That is the basis of your argument?

le Redoutable

The Sneak Attack of a Rogue is mostly Precision, knowing where exactly to aim at an unaware helpless target. The Precision is devastating.

Jump-in jump-out, as a combat tactic, relates to Mobility.

The Rogue class demonstrates an aptitude for Dexterity (Precision + Mobility).
yep Precision is ( under Champions 4th ed ) called Find Weakness;
netherveless Rogues ( I truly don't know why ) make me think of Thugs, or Violent Thieves

Remove ads