D&D General 6 Ability Scores but 4 Classic Classes?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I will give a little pushback in doing a 6-for-6... because if we are keeping things in the D&D mold... then I think what you really want is 12-for-6. You want six martial classes and six spellcasting classes. People always talk about there not being enough martial classes... so if you're going to do this, go all in and give out six full ones.

Martials:

Strength: THE SLAYER
Dexterity: THE GUERILLA
Constitution: THE TANK
Intelligence: THE TACTICIAN
Wisdom: THE ASCETIC
Charisma: THE BRAVO

Casters:

Strength: THE EVOKER
Dexterity: THE FILCHER
Constitution: THE BLOODED
Intelligence: THE SCHOLAR
Wisdom: THE PRIEST
Charisma: THE BINDER

Describe the Bravo, Evoker, and Flitcher? What are they? How do they use their primary scores?

(There are) 6 Ability Scores but (only) 1, 2, 4 Classic Classes?​

1678580868520.jpeg

Three sir!
Cleric, Fighting Man, and Magic User ;)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Describe the Bravo, Evoker, and Flitcher? What are they? How do they use their primary scores?
The Bravo is your prototypical swashbuckler type... the guy who uses their bravado and charisma to fool their opponents into making mistakes, succumbing to feints, intimidating them with fancy footwork, etc. Think the Bravura Warlord as another example.

The Evoker is your standard evoker-- gathering powerful magical energy and then hurling attack spells across the battlefield. Because it's all brute destructive force rather than intricate spell design, the might of the caster allows them to power magic across long distances and take out swathes of enemies.

And the Filcher is your standard Spellthief (except with what I think is a better name.) They use their manual dexterity to twist and pull the threads of the Weave to unlock doors, tie things together, sneak items out or off of people and containers, etc. (along with precision strikes with rays and things-- attacks that are aimed rather than just bombarded like the Evoker does.)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Imma go combo breaker here because I absolutely hate the idea of SAD design.

Stick with 4 class templates, but Instead the abilities are not tied to a specific class, but can customize that class instead. This was done to various degrees of success in 3E/PF1. Mostly it was borked though, but I hope somebody runs with it someday.

Martials:
Str - Jumping, climbing, prying, grappling, weapon use, etc...
Dex - Dodging, balancing, speed, weapon use, etc...
Con - Fortitude, endurance, physical resistance, etc...
Int - Tactics, technical application, etc...
Wis - Perception, internal will, etc...
Cha - Influence, leadership, etc...

Feats would combo the above into abilities and unlocks. Some classes would allow you to shortcut or ignore prerequisites. Like a ranger getting two weapon fighting despite not having a high enough Dex and Int or something along those lines. This way you can have a wide variety of types per class instead of being locked into the design paradigm that fighter is Str and Ranger is Dex, etc...
How does a 18 CHA 11 STR warrior help the party? The 18 CON, 12 Int Wizard?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Athletics
Skillfulness
Magic
Luck

Allow flaws to mechanically cut down on overlaps for increased granularity. Take alot of athletics then a flaw to reduce what would have been related to your strength and con previously. You still get the agile/dexterous character but taking the flaw would give access to some other perks. Maybe enough for a feat or some points in skilled.

Horwath

Legend
That almost never works in making an fantasy RPG you can sell.

Hence why you rarely see it
In the base game I agree, but classes should be made with it in mind,
then for PHB2 or something you can give out "classless" class for everyone to build their adventurer as they see fit.

Classes could be just suggested feat kits for newcomers to the game or for someone that does not want to spend a lot of time in making a character.

Remove ads