• Shaman
  • CHA: Talent- Innate Magicians
    • Adept
    • Elementalist
    • Psion
    • Sorcerer

Li Shenron

Legend
Hypothetical: you have been put in charge of a new D&D PHB, but you have a mandate: there shall be but 6 core classes, each tied to one of the 6 Ability Scores (ie that's their "prime stat"). You are allowed to create however many subclasses that will fit in the book, but you MUST maintain 6 core focused on individual stats.

STR: Barbarian -> damage-dealer, athlete
DEX: Rogue -> nimble explorer, acrobat, handyman
CON: Fighter -> front-liner tank, damage-soaker
INT: Wizard -> sage, investigator, magic expert
WIS: Ranger -> scout, watchful guard, trapfinder
CHA: Bard -> face, diplomat, persuader, deceiver

Argument for not including the Cleric:

I don't think Cleric is the best representation of WIS. I think historically it might have been originated by a generic "religious people are wise" idea, except that "wisdom" in D&D represents things others than actual common-sense wisdom, most importantly it represents alertness and perception, for which I would rather pick the Ranger. "Willpower" is a bit bogus, since IRL being wise hardly has any correlation with strong will. Wisdom affecting a Cleric's spellcasting effectiveness is only an artifact of the rules, widely accepted mainly out of tradition, but in other games a Cleric's spellcasting could be based on Charisma, another ability, or nothing at all. I also don't think it's necessary to leave the Cleric in, only because "we need a healer", that is an afterthought, and a bad way to design a game backwards. The hypothetical 6-classes game could have healing capabilities boosts on the Ranger and Bard, or it could open up the possibility of healing spells for the Wizard, or it could even spread healing capabilities to all classes, making none of them dedicated to healing more than the others.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Str: Warrior
Dex: Rogue
Con: Warden (Ranger and Druids are subclasses)
Int: Wizard (Warlock as a subclass, see: DCC wizards)
Wis: Priest (Could encompass clerics and monks)
Cha: Bard/Herald

The one I had the hardest time with was Charisma- because Bard could fit under Rogue like it originally did.

I love how varied everyone's answers are.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Strength: Paladin
Constitution: Zealot (superclass covering Barbarians and Monks)
Dexterity: Ranger
Intelligence: Wizard
Wisdom: Cleric
Charisma: Sorcerer (pre-5e playtest style)

Paladin absorbs Fighter. Zealot, as noted, absorbs Barbarian and Monk. Ranger absorbs Rogue, Wizard absorbs Artificer, Cleric absorbs Druid.

Bard and Warlock are kind of left out, sadly. The price paid due to championing class reductionism as some kind of inherent good, rather than what it actually is, at best a trade-off.

Just another reminder to myself that I should draft up a proper analysis of that list of 18-24 core class concepts folks tend to expect from D&D-like games. Whether or not I actually do it is, of course, a completely different question.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
STR: Paladin
- fighter, cleric, ranger
DEX: Monk
- rogue, ranger, fighter
CON: Barbarian
- fighter, ranger, sorcerer
INT: Artificer
- wizard, rogue, fighter, cleric
WIS: Druid
- ranger, cleric, wizard, sorcerer