7 Years of D&D Stories? And a "Big Reveal" Coming?

When asked what he was working on, WotC's Chris Perkins revealed a couple of juicy tidbits. They're not much, but they're certainly tantalizing. Initially, he said that "Our marketing team has a big reveal in the works", and followed that up separately with "Right now I'm working on the next seven years of D&D stories". What all that might mean is anybody's guess, but it sounds like there are plans for D&D stretching into the foreseeable future! Thanks to Barantor for the scoop!

When asked what he was working on, WotC's Chris Perkins revealed a couple of juicy tidbits. They're not much, but they're certainly tantalizing. Initially, he said that "Our marketing team has a big reveal in the works", and followed that up separately with "Right now I'm working on the next seven years of D&D stories". What all that might mean is anybody's guess, but it sounds like there are plans for D&D stretching into the foreseeable future! Thanks to Barantor for the scoop!

dracomilan

Explorer
Let's see:
8/15 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
8/16 Planescape Campaign Setting
8/17 Spelljammer Campaign Setting
8/18 Greyhawk Campaign Setting
8/19 Birthright Campaign Setting
8/20 Eberron Campaign Setting
8/21 Dragonlance Campaign Setting
8/22 D&D6 Playtest Announce

Yep, they can do that

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Proof they are listen to us when we say we want information on the release schedule?

Nah. This was Perkins' personal Twitter account... which means nothing he says is considered official or "announced". It may turn out to eventually be right, but it's only going to get revealed on their terms not ours. Heck, he said in a Twitter response months ago that he thought the OGL was coming back, but we've heard nothing official about that either.

Take whatever Chris says on his Twitter account as the equivalent of the movie leaks we'd get from Drew McWeeny at HitFix or Devin Faraci at Badass Digest. Rumor, not fact.

Iosue

Legend
So far it has.

Two things:
1. While working on Tyranny of Dragons and Princes of the Apocalypse, they managed to release 3 Core Books and a mega-adventure for 5 levels. I'm pretty sure they'll have the wherewithal to release more material in addition to their big stories, which will be outsourced at any rate.
2. "So far" is far too small a time scale to draw any conclusions.

Except for the part where if I wanted to play Pathfinder, I would be. I know some folks think WotC is infallible and whatever they choose to do should be accepted without question or concern by D&D players, but I prefer to think that it is okay to (just to throw out a completely random example here) like the game and wish there was more stuff I would like to buy for it. I am not really sure why that point of view would be considered threatening to anyone.

For what it's worth, I think that sentiment is perfectly valid and share it myself. I would love to have a campaign setting book to buy or a MMII on the horizon, and with no offense intended to Morrus, really the only reason I've backed En5ider on Patreon is because because there's been no announcements about Dungeon or Dragon yet. I'm just of the opinion that what I'd like to see as a fan doesn't line up with what's good for the company and I can't really begrudge them that.

Proof they are listen to us when we say we want information on the release schedule?

Well, maybe, if the announcement is the next twelve months of releases, but otherwise probably not. They announced the release dates for the core books, ToD and PotA ~6 months in advance and we're already three months into 2015, so if they're coming out with any further products in 2015 they're going to have to announce them soon.

In other words if they're just going to announce the Alice / Feywild adventure path, or even something like a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book coming out later this year, such announcements were always going to have come around this time of year and will have nothing to do with what the fanbase is clamoring for.

bmfrosty

Explorer
Designed by Kobold Press and Sasquatch Studios respectively. But I know layout is no joke.

Well, at least you didn't suggest that they just slap D&D stickers on to the work of others.

Let's see:
8/16 Planescape Campaign Setting
8/17 Spelljammer Campaign Setting
8/18 Greyhawk Campaign Setting
8/19 Birthright Campaign Setting
8/20 Eberron Campaign Setting
8/21 Dragonlance Campaign Setting
8/22 D&D6 Playtest Announce

Yep, they can do that

8/15 First Greyhawk AP
1/16 Relaunch of Dungeon Magazine - Centered around short modules and monsters. Only available as PDF, but formatted for print and binder.
3/16 Second Greyhawk AP
8/16 Greyhawk Campaign Setting
8/16 First Eberron AP
3/17 Second Eberron AP
8/17 Eberron Campaign Setting
8/17 First Dragonlance AP
3/18 Second Dragonlance AP
8/18 Dragonlance Campaign Setting
8/18 First Dark Sun AP
3/19 Second Dark Sun AP
8/19 Dark Sun Campaign Setting
8/19 First Ravenloft AP
3/20 Second Ravenloft AP
8/20 Ravenloft Campaign Setting
8/20 First Planscape AP
3/21 Second Planescape AP
8/21 Planescape Campaign Setting
3/22 5e Players Handbook - 2nd revision
6/22 5e Monster Manual - 2nd revision
8/22 5e Dungeon Masters Guide 2nd revision
12/22 84th issue of relaunched Dungeon Magazine

EDIT: Campaign Setting are boxed sets that include books, maps, and other things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads