7 Years of D&D Stories? And a "Big Reveal" Coming?

When asked what he was working on, WotC's Chris Perkins revealed a couple of juicy tidbits. They're not much, but they're certainly tantalizing. Initially, he said that "Our marketing team has a big reveal in the works", and followed that up separately with "Right now I'm working on the next seven years of D&D stories". What all that might mean is anybody's guess, but it sounds like there are plans for D&D stretching into the foreseeable future! Thanks to Barantor for the scoop!

When asked what he was working on, WotC's Chris Perkins revealed a couple of juicy tidbits. They're not much, but they're certainly tantalizing. Initially, he said that "Our marketing team has a big reveal in the works", and followed that up separately with "Right now I'm working on the next seven years of D&D stories". What all that might mean is anybody's guess, but it sounds like there are plans for D&D stretching into the foreseeable future! Thanks to Barantor for the scoop!

Manchu

First Post
To be fair, Alice in Wonderland was in published D&D products long before Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, or Forgotten Realms, and the same year as the original Ravenloft. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass were the basis of EX1 Dungeonland and EX2 The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror way back in 1983.
No doubt but ... EX1-2 has not proven so fertile of ground as, say for example, I6.

The only problem I have with them planning that far in advance is that it doesn't appear to give a lot of room for easy adjustment of their plans due to consumer response/feedback.

I mean, I think someone confirmed there is a campaign setting other than Forgotten Realms next year. But...other than that I'm concerned that we might have 5 years of Forgotten Realms adventure paths plotted out, and things like psionics or another MM with all that content they had to cut from this one (it was said that they left enough on the cutting floor to have a good foundation for another MM) might not start showing up for another 4 or 5 years.

Now, I think that's unlikely, and I think the AP strategy with trans-media tie-ins is the best business plan for them because it takes the pressure off of the TRPG as a money maker. They can put more TLC and fan-sensitivity into their D&D products because their future as a brand isn't riding on their sales. At the same time, too many years of planning ahead might end up being a bad idea if it doesn't leave them room to insert products that a good contingent of the fan-base is clamoring for.

chriton227

Explorer
No doubt but ... EX1-2 has not proven so fertile of ground as, say for example, I6.

I agree whole heartedly. I'd prefer something like Ravenloft, Greyhawk, or Mystara long before Alice. I'm not a fan of the sort of camp humor that you usually get in things like EX1, EX2, or the original Castle Greyhawk modules, unless I'm playing a game that is supposed to be campy like Paranoia or a Scooby Doo RPG.

Barantor

Explorer
Glad I asked the right question :D. I see it as he is writing out what the next 7 years of stories will be as far as content connected to their brand. He might have something thrown in there that surprises us all since he does love some of the older content and he did rewrite 'Tomb of Horrors' for Next.

Reynard

Legend
Whelp... better move over to Pathfinder then...

Except for the part where if I wanted to play Pathfinder, I would be. I know some folks think WotC is infallible and whatever they choose to do should be accepted without question or concern by D&D players, but I prefer to think that it is okay to (just to throw out a completely random example here) like the game and wish there was more stuff I would like to buy for it. I am not really sure why that point of view would be considered threatening to anyone.

Reynard

Legend
I see this sentiment a lot, but I don't get it. For sure, big cross platform stories will be their flagship product, aimed at a mass market rather than the established RPG market. But that doesn't mean no Dragon/Dungeon, and no other products.

So far it has.

Remove ads

Remove ads