9th level cleric spell

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
There's several high level spells that allow a cleric to assume the mantle of the divine, but they weren't quite right for my campaign. How does this look:

Imbue With Positive Energy
Transmutation
Level: Clr 9
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 action
Target: Self
Duration: 1 round/level
Save: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The spell that strikes fear into the soulless cavity of evildoers everywhere, Imbue With Positive Energy channels the raw energy of the positive material plane into the body of the caster and causes a change of a beautiful and awesome nature. For the duration of the spell, the cleric is considered to be of type “outsider”. He is granted damage resistance of 20/+2 and is immune to disease, electricity, fire, and poison damage. He has dark vision if he did not have it before and is given a +2 bonus to all ability scores. His body emanates light as if under the effect of a continual flame spell. Finally, the cleric gains a +4 “holy” bonus to Intimidate checks made against evil creatures.

hong

WotC's bitch
In terms of balance, it seems okay.

In terms of visual effects and intended purpose, it seems a lot like holy aura.

Last edited:

Forrester

First Post
If anything, it seems to me to be a little underpowered. I'd knock up the DR to 20/+3 (at least) and maybe bump up the abilities +4 each (and make them Divine bonuses).

I mean, at 17th level, what opponent isn't going to breeze past most DRs?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Hong,

You're right, but I need it as a 9th level spell for lots of campaign reasons that I shall not bore you with. Of course, you did not know this because I did not mention it and obviously the stores in Australia do not sell "ESP Flakes" breakfast cereal.

Forrester,

Good point. I'll notch it up to 20/+4, keep the +2 bonuses, but make them of type "divine".

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Forrester

First Post
So basically it's a 9th level spell whose only big effect is giving three types of elemental immunity; the DR is more easily pierced than Stoneskin, the +2 bonus to ability scores is pretty trivial (as you can walk around with triple-empowered double-extended Bull's Strengths and such at that level), and the other effects are small and/or can be duplicated by low-level spells (Darkvision, Continual Flame).

I gotta say, it's just not very impressive. Compare to Iron Body, for instance -- that gives 50/+3, immunity to a TON of different things (including crits and stunning), and in general is just a far better spell overall.

My suggestion, after paging through the Monster Manual section on Celestials:

Have it give the caster, for one MINUTE/level:

1) True Seeing (or, if you want to weenie it, just See Invis/Darkvision)
2) Continual Flame
3) The elemental resistances you speak of (or, if you want to have it line up with Solars, immunity to cold, acid, electricity, and petrification, and fire resistance 20)
4) DR 20/+4
5) Protective Aura (a Celestial quality, which gives a double-powered Magic Circle Against Evil and a Minor Globe of Invulnerability)
6) The celestial Aura of Menace (similar to the effect you're looking for with the intimidate checks)
7) SR equal to 5+caster level (or maybe just flat SR20 or 25)
8) The +2 Divine Bonus to all attributes

Now that's got the feel of a 9th level spell -- but I don't think it's overpowered. Not quite the SR of Spell Resistance, most of the other effects duplicate low-level spells, and in general not one bennie is overwhelming. But put them all together . . .

Remove ads