D&D 4E A 4E Combat Encounter - Round by Round Descritpion

Delgar

First Post
Thanks,

I was trying to give my old gaming group a feel of how the game would run. We'll probably try to reconnect using DDI once it launches as we all live in different parts of the country now.

See, they saw some of the preview stuff and I tried to fill in the gaps for them. But I think actually seeing how each players/monsters action plays out you finally get a feel for it.

I don't think I could do the same with a 3.5 encounter, it would be rather boring. Not that the above was all that exciting.

Stalker0 said:
Delgar, let me compliment you on the level of detail you put in your post. You clearly described each move and how all the numbers were obtained, which I'm sure will be a big help to those reading who haven't gotten to try the game yet.

Delgar

First Post
I was just going on what we know at this point. As far as I know the warlock can curse multiple opponents. Technically he could curse an opponent, with a minor action. Use his move action to move, and spend his standard to curse another. I highly doubt we'll see many warlocks wasting a standard action to throw out a second curse. Except in the case where your going to throw down an area effect spell with your action point. :)

srn said:
Good point, I just reread the description. I'd been assuming it was a one-target-at-a-time deal.

It seems odd that a mobile warlock could have most of the monsters on the battlefield cursed after a few rounds, though.

Spinachcat said:
I run OD&D at cons and I get lots of people who feel 3e is too complicated for them to remember and play. 4e appears somewhat less complicated, but I am quite sure its is too much for them. 4e is a very tactically exciting board focussed game that is going to require a level of focus and attention that demands too much from the beers and pretzels set.
For "beer and pretzels" game - does it _really_ matter if you forget something? If that's the only way you play, I suppose a simple system is enough, but if you alternate between "D&D - serious business" and "beer and pretzels" games, a system probably should be able to provide both.

Just be sure you don't accidentally play a meat grinder adventure where every hit point and +1 bonus counts when it's the turn for "beer & pretzel". ;)

med stud

First Post
srn said:
Good point, I just reread the description. I'd been assuming it was a one-target-at-a-time deal.

It seems odd that a mobile warlock could have most of the monsters on the battlefield cursed after a few rounds, though.
What's so odd about that?

Delgar

First Post
Wow, thank you all for all your kind words. I didn't think that it would be all that exciting. Now all I need is for some WotC guy to show up and tell me what I ran incorrectly. :)

So do you guys want another example then?

Gargazon

First Post
Delgar said:
Wow, thank you all for all your kind words. I didn't think that it would be all that exciting. Now all I need is for some WotC guy to show up and tell me what I ran incorrectly. :)

So do you guys want another example then?

If it's not too much bother :D

Just one gripe I had was that the Fighter seemed to have two enemies marked at once at one point (I think the Dragonshield and Skirmisher). I can't remember exactly, but wasn't it said you can only have one target marked? Or was it that one target can only have one mark? :confused:

This also reminds me of how horrible my first 4E game was in terms of constantly forgetting the Paladin was stink-potted and that there was ongoing damage and conditions in effect. But we do that in our 3.5 games, so it's not that surprising.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases