D&D 4E A 4E Combat Encounter - Round by Round Descritpion

Delgar

First Post
As far as we know the fighter is not limited to just one mark. So, as it stands the fighter is better at marking multiple enemies and the paladin is better at marking just one. I think you're thinking that a target can only have one mark.

Gargazon said:
If it's not too much bother :D

Just one gripe I had was that the Fighter seemed to have two enemies marked at once at one point (I think the Dragonshield and Skirmisher). I can't remember exactly, but wasn't it said you can only have one target marked? Or was it that one target can only have one mark? :confused:

This also reminds me of how horrible my first 4E game was in terms of constantly forgetting the Paladin was stink-potted and that there was ongoing damage and conditions in effect. But we do that in our 3.5 games, so it's not that surprising.

Xorn

First Post
This is bandwagony, but I could post the round by round of the Nightscale fight in Raiders of Oakhurst when they got the dragon down to 18 hit points...

We did it over Fantasy Grounds, so I've still got the chatlog.

D'karr

Adventurer
Delgar said:
As far as we know the fighter is not limited to just one mark. So, as it stands the fighter is better at marking multiple enemies and the paladin is better at marking just one. I think you're thinking that a target can only have one mark.

The mark is one mark per opponent but everytime you mark a new opponent the old opponent is not marked. There are multiple powers that mark and you may mark multiple opponents if you have multiple powers that can be used to mark.

The Divine Challenge from the paladin has the most comprehensive explanation on marking. If you mark with the same power, the old marked opponent is no longer marked. If you use different powers to mark, you may mark multiple opponents. Only one mark per opponent.

WampusCat43

Explorer
Xorn said:
This is bandwagony, but I could post the round by round of the Nightscale fight in Raiders of Oakhurst when they got the dragon down to 18 hit points...

We did it over Fantasy Grounds, so I've still got the chatlog.

I'd like to see this. We actually beat the dragon, but only because the DM turned off his darkness.

Maybe you could attach the transcript as a file?

Delgar

First Post
Are you sure about that?

The divine challenge mark is clear that the old mark is lost if you mark someone else.

In the case of the fighters mark it's not a power just an ability to mark when he attacks. By a strict reading of the rule he could do it when he takes immediate attacks and opportunity attacks. I of course can be totally mistaken.

D'karr said:
The mark is one mark per opponent but everytime you mark a new opponent the old opponent is not marked. There are multiple powers that mark and you may mark multiple opponents if you have multiple powers that can be used to mark.

The Divine Challenge from the paladin has the most comprehensive explanation on marking. If you mark with the same power, the old marked opponent is no longer marked. If you use different powers to mark, you may mark multiple opponents. Only one mark per opponent.

Knight Otu

First Post
How marking works, and any extra effects beyond the attack penalty from marks, differs between the classes. The paladin loses his old mark when he issues a new Divine Challenge. The fighter can mark multiple enemies, however, from what has been released. For example, from the Marking Marked article:
Stephen Radney-MacFarland said:
Ignoring the paladin (and taking a healthy dose of radiant damage), the formerly right-hand ghost moves adjacent to the fighter. The fighter retorts with a thicket of blades attack, marking both of the ghosts. When the dwarf paladin's turn in the initiative comes up, he'll no doubt challenge the same ghosts with a minor action. It's doubtful the ghost can afford to ignore his challenge 2 rounds in a row.

D'karr

Adventurer
Knight Otu said:
How marking works, and any extra effects beyond the attack penalty from marks, differs between the classes. The paladin loses his old mark when he issues a new Divine Challenge. The fighter can mark multiple enemies, however, from what has been released. For example, from the Marking Marked article:

All that tells you is that Thicket of Blades might be a power that allows you to mark more than one opponent. We don't know for sure.

Trainz

Explorer
Round 4: Combat Slinger. You say "He also uses his standard action to shift an additional square.". I'm sure you meant minor action instead. I'm surprised I'm the first to notice this. Did you guys actually read the damn thing? :p

It was a very nice read. I was sure I was reading an excerpt from a developper's blog until it was made clear to me you're just one of us lowly nerds.

Congrats.

LowSpine

First Post
I like the way you had the Kobolds eating a kid. Even a bleeding heart liberal would have a hard time not killing a kid eater. (Bloody Hippies.)

Gets rid of the Roleplay dilemas of alignment.

Delgar

First Post
You are correct. It has been fixed.

Thanks, yah I'm just some smuck. I wish I was a playtester or a developer. :)

Trainz said:
Round 4: Combat Slinger. You say "He also uses his standard action to shift an additional square.". I'm sure you meant minor action instead. I'm surprised I'm the first to notice this. Did you guys actually read the damn thing? :p

It was a very nice read. I was sure I was reading an excerpt from a developper's blog until it was made clear to me you're just one of us lowly nerds.

Congrats.

Remove ads