A "build" sheet and a "play" char sheet?

RedFox

First Post
I think Ema's sheets are good for both, however I think that a sheet specifically for combat such as those for the Delve might be a good idea. I just don't know how you'd lay them out for maximum utility and minimum clutter.

Ry

Explorer
For the play one I was thinking Resources at the top (HP, Spell slots, also stats and most important gear) and Actions / Reactions at the bottom.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I use a piece of scrap paper with things like: "To Hit" (total: whatever I am using at the time), "damage" (again, total), "wounds", "save mods" (not the total, just the temp. mods that are in place in this combat), "ability mods" (same), "movement" (only if changed). Mind you, I am not a spellcaster.

I use a new sheet every week, as the old one gets crowded fast. The buff spells are fast and furious in this game!

Particle_Man

Explorer
Doug McCrae said:
Keeping track of current buffs and bonuses to hit is the hard part for me, but I don't think it can be solved with pencil and paper.

It is time consuming. On the other hand, I refuse to buy a laptop just to play D&D! :)

I seldom bother with anything more than a 1-page actual character sheet as most of the additional information that gets included on multiple page sheets is so seldom used in game. However, I will keep a few pages of additional information of long-term importance to the character. It's just not in any formal arrangement. And of course treasure soon gets a sheet of its own, and eventually equipment does as well. But again, these are generally nothing more extravagant than notebook paper. Wizards will get a seperate spellbook sheet - notebook paper. Any character that MIGHT have complex combinations of bonuses MIGHT see me gin up a worksheet to fit the characters needs, but I have yet to have a character whose bonuses I couldn't handle if I DIDN'T have such. Worst case would be another sheet of scratch paper tomake a temporary list of everything applied for infrequent REALLY in-depth combats.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Particle_Man said:
It is time consuming. On the other hand, I refuse to buy a laptop just to play D&D! :)

For my Goliath Barbarian-Cleric-Fighter-Warpriest, who had a great many attack buffs at his disposal, I wrote out an "attack sheet" with the modifiers all in a row, so I could add the relevant modifiers and get a result. That's now an integral part of my Excel character sheet design.

Of course, I also did my math when other people were doing their actions. Saved time, ya know.

Brad

Remove ads