• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A campaign I'm fed up with. . .

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:
(IIRC..if it wasn't him/her, it was someone with a very similar situation and IIRC, a puzzel to escape a room that involved some really circular thiking about Bible passages).

Actually, I was thinking of the exact same thing. Wings, was that yours? The inescapable sand puzzle that could only be solved with one answer? If not, Nightchilde and I must be on the same wavelength or something...

Anyway, good luck with this. I know burning bridges is an unrealistic thing to do, but you really shouldn't spend 10 hours at something you don't enjoy. My best advice? Bring it forward in an honest manner. If she's any kind of good friend, she'll understand that it's just not your bag and you've got other stuff to do.

If that just won't work, then go with the flow. If you're just hanging out, eating some snacks and chatting with friends half the time, enjoy it. If she insists on doing all manner of bizarre crap to your character, let her. After all, you know she won't kill him. He's too important to the novel! :p

Harker Wade

First Post
Yeah, bad games run by friends needs a weekly meeting (maybe better gsames could spring from this?)...

For me it was old WoD. We had been taking turns running games, after I had just been done running for about 2 years straight. He had never really run, but he'd played a lot WoD and are other friend had become quite a good GM and Storyteller after I when I took a breather so we all figured lightening might strike twice. It did - it hit my head repeatly. We had to roll multiple times to climb a tree. Ghouls often had higher level discplines then we did. He had almost no description of anything until we tried to break into an auction house safe - which had more detail then most all the NPCs we'd meet put together (I should mention he worked in a bank ;) ). Also, I was a an accomplished art thief (with the skills to back up such a claim) and I was completely unable to open the vault even with supernatural abilities!!

the lesson I learned never let a ROLL-player become GM...

DrNilesCrane

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
I know burning bridges is an unrealistic thing to do, but you really shouldn't spend 10 hours at something you don't enjoy. My best advice? Bring it forward in an honest manner. If she's any kind of good friend, she'll understand that it's just not your bag and you've got other stuff to do.

If that just won't work, then go with the flow. If you're just hanging out, eating some snacks and chatting with friends half the time, enjoy it. If she insists on doing all manner of bizarre crap to your character, let her. After all, you know she won't kill him. He's too important to the novel! :p

I agree with GoodKingJayIII and add that you mentioned that the GM is a novice: you and the rest of the group are both encouraging and enabling her to continue running you through her trashy vampire novel by showing up every week. Since she's getting positive reinforcement by your presence, she's not going to change. She's not going to improve if she's not open minded to suggestions; if she doesn't really care if you and the rest of the group are having fun, she's not much of a friend either. I think you really need to have a talk with her, either alone or with the group (although she might perceive a group conversation as ganging up on her) and straightened it out: I mean, you're talking about 10+ hours a week at this and it's horrible.

Another option is to offer to GM for awhile. Bring it up with "Hey, I've been looking at some adventures for [whatever game system] and would love to DM for a while - could I take over the DM chair for a few weeks?" If it goes well, it might open her eyes to how she might improve. I've set up round robin D&D groups with a mix of experienced DMs who were supportive to newer, novice DMs (we'd change DMs every couple of adventures) and it worked well - maybe there's hope for her yet!

You mention two players who are enjoying the campaign are new to RPGs - if they've never played anything else / having nothing to compare it to, they might not realize how much better the experience can be.

I hope it works out, wingsandsword - keep us updated!!!

Nightchilde-2 said:
However, I remember the initial post wingsandsword made a while back regarding this campaign (IIRC..if it wasn't him/her, it was someone with a very similar situation and IIRC, a puzzel to escape a room that involved some really circular thiking about Bible passages). And that was a while ago. So it's not like wingsandsword hasn't given the campaign a chance.
GoodKingJayIII said:
Actually, I was thinking of the exact same thing. Wings, was that yours? The inescapable sand puzzle that could only be solved with one answer? If not, Nightchilde and I must be on the same wavelength or something...
Yes, that was me, and this is that campaign about 5 months later.
jensun said:
Your GM isnt by any chance called Lauren K Hamilton is she?
No, but apparently she's a huge fan of her books, and wants to be a writer just like her.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Harker Wade said:
For me it was old WoD. We had been taking turns running games, after I had just been done running for about 2 years straight. He had never really run, but he'd played a lot WoD and are other friend had become quite a good GM and Storyteller after I when I took a breather so we all figured lightening might strike twice. It did - it hit my head repeatly. We had to roll multiple times to climb a tree. Ghouls often had higher level discplines then we did. He had almost no description of anything until we tried to break into an auction house safe - which had more detail then most all the NPCs we'd meet put together (I should mention he worked in a bank ;) ). Also, I was a an accomplished art thief (with the skills to back up such a claim) and I was completely unable to open the vault even with supernatural abilities!!

the lesson I learned never let a ROLL-player become GM...

No, if he was a Roll-player, he would have abided by the rules. That guy is a dumbass.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Yigh. I honestly can't blame anybody for wanting houserule their game up, or deviate from the published fluff (especially if it's World of Darkness fluff), but man, this just sounds like an agonizingly stupid concept for a campaign.

joshuakanton

First Post
Just be honest with her, be gentle, but be honest.
The more people that stand up and tell the truth about what they feel, the better the world will be.

Just my thought.

IcyCool

First Post
wingsandsword said:
No, but apparently she's a huge fan of her books, and wants to be a writer just like her.

I was too, until about book 5 or 6, when it turned into supernatural creature of the week erotica...

IcyCool said:
I was too, until about book 5 or 6, when it turned into supernatural creature of the week erotica...

Preach it. I've been so disappointed with her later books.

The series changed from a kick-ass Shadowrun / WoD campaign to a ... BoEF ... session.

Grr.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads