• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A campaign I'm fed up with. . .

IcyCool

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Preach it. I've been so disappointed with her later books.

The series changed from a kick-ass Shadowrun / WoD campaign to a ... BoEF ... session.

Grr.

I managed to read Obsidian Butterfly, only because of my deep and abiding appreciation for the Edward character. But the paragraphs of how some pantsless/shirtless guy (who was, of course, well endowed) made her feel down there were easily skipped in that one, and I don't recall any sex (although that may just be a mental block). I've refused to read any of the rest of her books since then.

Wings, if your friend is shooting for a campaign along the lines of these books, I have to tell you that it is going to wind up nowhere good.

Felon

First Post
Drawmack said:
If most of the players are unhappy, maybe you need to bring up the issues at the session and if she refuses to listen then everyone who is dissatisfied can leave en-mass.

No no, the OP already explained that this person is a friend, so he has to avoid being honest and direct with her...because that's the way friendships work, right? :heh:

Felon said:
No no, the OP already explained that this person is a friend, so he has to avoid being honest and direct with her...because that's the way friendships work, right? :heh:

In fairness to the OP I think most people would agree that it is a lot harder to be honest and direct with someone that you are close to than a complete stranger when you want to tell them something that they won't want (or like) to hear. I'm still trying to work up the balls to tell my friend that he smells. :eek:

Olaf the Stout

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Everybody wants to be a writer. Especially if they like RPGs and WoD. I figure at least 98% of everybody that gets REALLY INTO WoD has a novel in their back pocket they've been working on for a couple years.

A really really horrible novel.

Because it isn't called the "Slush Pile" because it's overfull with high quality publishable prose ... and the unfortunate fact of it is, just because you like READING doesn't mean you've got any sort of talent for WRITING.

Then these people decide to run games where they disenfranchise the other people playing at the table and whip-and-chair them into sitting through the crappy novel they've got in their back pocket ... the one where the character just like them (but more attractive) gets lots and lots of attention and action from very very attractive people of whichever gender they happen to be attracted to.

That you guys are now all supernatural creatures at a sex fetish club pretty much drives that one home. Hopefully you like playing out erotic sexual encounters with hotsexy vampires ... because brother, you're probably going to be playing out erotic sexual encounters with hotsexy vampires whether you want to or not.

Why is it always vampires?

If I were you I'd just go fantasy shopping for leather fetish gear in character now ... work up a description of rippling muscles and lean sensual hunger. You might get bonus points for describing your tousled brown locks and dark brooding eyes that smolder with repressed need and hunger.

Laurel K. Hamilton Fan will eat that with a spoon.

--fje

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Cedric said:
Am I the only one whose suffered through a bad game, because its better than no game at all?

You obviously haven't suffered through very many of them. Once you do, you'll realize that the correct verbiage is "No gaming is better than bad gaming" ;)

[Note: I quit gaming for five years due to finding nothing but bad games for about two years -- and I had a lot more fun not gaming, rather than sitting through game after game of brutally stupid or totally beardy play sessions.]

Cedric

First Post
jdrakeh said:
You obviously haven't suffered through very many of them. Once you do, you'll realize that the correct verbiage is "No gaming is better than bad gaming" ;)

[Note: I quit gaming for five years due to finding nothing but bad games for about two years -- and I had a lot more fun not gaming, rather than sitting through game after game of brutally stupid or totally beardy play sessions.]

Well, in all fairness, if I have a supernatural ability, it would have to be the ability to organize a successful game. I'm only sort of joking, if I had friends from my gaming past who posted here, they'd attest to this.

I have a knack for finding the right players, gm, place to play, day, time...etc., etc.

Heck, if I was going to have a superpower, I could think of worse ones.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Cedric said:
Heck, if I was going to have a superpower, I could think of worse ones.

Falling Off Jungle-Gyms Guy
Uncontrolled Radioactivity Man
Sidekick That Speaks English Dude

the list of worse powers goes on and on and on.

:)

--fje

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've sat through a few bad games myself, some patiently, some not. What I did depended upon my level of friendship.

Many years ago, a guy tried to run a 1st level party through a homebrew dungeon- I was playing a Paladin. Room #1: Huge Ancient Adult Red Dragon asleep on his hoard...

I thought this to be ridiculous, so played my PC ridiculously in response. Clambering up the hoard, he drew both his longsword & dagger, and straddled the beast's neck right behind the head. He then stabbed it through the eye with the longsword, awakening the creature. The longsword he left imbedded, and used as a handle, but continued to stab with the dagger. The rest of the party eventually jumped into the fray...

My near-solo kill of the beast resulted in my PC jumping 10 or so levels.

In room #1.

That was the last I played with that guy.

OTOH, a buddy of mine who didn't let the NPC snipers hirelings do ANYTHING in the evening's main combat (despite being highly trained)- it took the entire combat for them to set up their position- was rewarded with both my continued play and my advice at a seperate location and a later time. Players don't like being railroaded, and/or having their plans nullified for no good in-game reason.

So, if this DM is really a pal, I'd say take her aside by yourself and voice your concerns.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*thinks maybe this is why he doesn't play Supers RPGs...* Well that and I like to READ instead of play with my comics.

Anime is a different cat entirely. ;)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Yeah, I remember the old thread. I first thought I had a deja-vu, or someone had cast True Resurrect Topic again.

Back then, whoever posted only told us about the vast cube-style underground dungeon, I can't remember anything about VR-gear. I do remember that they were all normal humans, the ST insisting on it (there was something about her saying beforehand that they had a chance to be mages, but then she said that she rolled some dice and that it turns out they aren't).

I also remember the uber-BF.

The new stuff is consistant with what I remember, though. It always amazes me what people put up with, especially if it is leasure activities.

If you do it because you want to see your buddies, why not just ditch any pretense of playing that game and starting just to hang out with your buddies? Try some board or card games (there's tons of roleplaying-related games like that), watch a movie in between, have dinner, chatter about stuff, and spend 8 hours of quality time with friends.

I understand that you don't want to destroy the friendship, but how much is a friendship worth? Going through weekly sessions of torture in your spare time?

Actually, telling her that the campaign has many weak points may even be helpful to her. She doesn't seem to understand that her storytelling sucks. Give her hints and pointers. Be honest, but kind.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads