log in or register to remove this ad

 

A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The creature was entirely unusual - it was psychic torment like a ghost, and yet corporeal; it wore tattered clothes like it had once been humanoid, and yet had a feral, insect-like face, and it had pincer-claws; it wielded magic to bend shadows and disappear (teleport, perhaps?)

Ruznami and Ethian discussed the creature briefly, and the Dwarf gathered the evidence and looked through some folios that he had brought along for just this purpose. He longed for the luxury of the full Library at Candlekeep, certain that there he could find everything they would want to know on the creature.

Only one creature fit all the criteria, though the folio had little information beyond a name: Meenlock.

The only other thing he could find was the word was also listed in his notes under "Fey Infestations".
 

log in or register to remove this ad


FitzTheRuke

Legend
Crock Jon's suggestion might work. The creature could not have gone far. The way that it had folded shadows, stepping through, would require nearby shadows to step out of. It was light outside, and while that would make for deep shadows, it was a ways to the treeline - too far for most minor magics. The creature would be running, or it would be hiding. Hiding seemed the better bet.
 

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"Would it help if I tried to grab it for you, sir?" asks Crock Jon. "I don't mind giving it try."

Good idea, just hold on a moment”. Ethian mumbles a few words and touches Crock Jon, who feels empowered by divine magics.

OOC: Cast guidance on the half orc. He gets +1d4 on his next ability check.

concentrating on guidance
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Vermellion
Day 24/Morning
Round 0

Ruznami considered what he knew from his notes. It wasn’t much. “Fey infestation,” he said. “That suggests something like cold iron will be anathema to it. Protection from fey spells would be good. I do have it prepared, but I can only cast it on one person at a time. Perhaps Ethian could prepare it, as well. That would give two of us protection.”

***

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray


Leave flowers on the grave of Lukas Grosvenor’s wife Lorna.
Look for Lorna’s necklace in the hollow tree.

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
"If it didn't attack you, Ethian... perhaps it is not a creature that needs immediately removal. I think if Crock Jon can get his hands on it and we can get a sense of what it is and what it wants, we can take care of things without bloodshed."

Hawthorne looks around the second floor landing and nods in approval. "Not a bad design choice. Whomever furnished this home had a good eye and solid taste." He sniffs the air twice. "Could use a good cleaning though."
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon advances towards the library, stopping to pick up the body of the owl.

He peers around for the creature hiding in shadows, advancing towards, towards the archway and the library.

OOC: Perception 1d20+2=12. Saving Guidance for a grapple.
 



KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Vermellion
Day 24/Morning
Round 0

Unfortunately, there was no body of Archimedes for Crock Jon to pick up, no evidence the owl had ever been here.

“If you give me an hour and a half or so, I can cast some spells,” Ruznami said. “Otherwise I can go around with you and just look.”

Investigation: 1D20+5 = [8]+5 = 13
Perception: 1D20 = [10] = 10


***

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray


Leave flowers on the grave of Lukas Grosvenor’s wife Lorna.
Look for Lorna’s necklace in the hollow tree.

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As it was obvious that the creature was no longer in the library, the group made a quick search of the upper floor, opening the doors to the rooms. Each of the four corners of the building had fireplaces for each of the four rooms, long unused. The rooms were dust-covered and disheveled, but surprisingly intact for having been so long derelict. Not one appeared to have anything living there, at least not larger than the odd rodent.

Hawthorne, on the south-west corner found himself in what must have been the master bedroom. In spite of it not being the largest of the rooms, it held the largest bed, the most elaborate wardrobe, and held the best view of the village out its southern window. It also had a small writing desk, littered with stained papers.

Suddenly, there was a noise from downstairs - a thump, the sound of a sword being drawn, and Shedrick's voice called, "Aah! It's down here! It's trying to grab me!"

OOC:
Creature vs Shedrick Claw: 1D20+4 = [10]+4 = 14 for 2D4+2 = [3, 1]+2 = 6
Shedrick vs Paralysis dc11 Con Save: 1D20+1 = [13]+1 = 14
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Meenlock
MayorHouse.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Stairs, Furniture
Visibility: Dim (Though Argenti has a light spell?)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Argenti AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 2/2
Crock Jon AC14 HP 8/36 (8/41) THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP12* SD 4/4
Ethian AC19* HP 27/27 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 0/1
Hawthorne AC14 HP 22/31 (27/36) THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 35/35 (40/40) THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP10* PED 4/4 (d6's)
Ruznami AC15 HP 26/26 THP 7/7 AW10/10 HD 4/4 PP10* PInv15 SS 4/4 2/3
-RuzMirror AC12 3/3 (6+ hits dupe)
(NPCs)
Shedrick AC13 HP 10/16 THP 7/7 PP12
Meenlock AC15 HP 31/31 PP14*
GM: Begin Round One
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Vermellion
Day 24/Morning
Round 1

At the yell from Shedrick downstairs, Ruznami leaped into action. Gripping wand and warhammer, he raced as fast as he could down the stairs He spotted the creature over the railing.

***

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: DASH should put him at H3.
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray


Leave flowers on the grave of Lukas Grosvenor’s wife Lorna.
Look for Lorna’s necklace in the hollow tree.

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 





DEFCON 1

Legend
Oh, for the love of... Hawthorne thinks to himself as he hears his footman cry out from down below.

"DON'T TRY AND WRESTLE WITH THE THING, SHEDRICK! WHAT THE HECK IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?!?" He rolls his eyes and sighs, picturing in his mind's eye the two of them mano a mano, doofslapping each other and whimpering like small children. "JUST DROP AND COWER LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO AND LET THE PROFESSIONALS HANDLE IT!"

As the others all begin to rush for the stairs, he follows along behind with his crossbow armed and ready. From where he ends up standing at the top of the staircase, he sees if he has any possible shot at the creature below... and if any of his compatriots have already attacked it before him, he aims the crossbow and fires at it. Of course, in his attempts to avoid hitting any in the group, the shot doesn't even come close.

 

Kaliban curses and runs down the stairs. Seeing Shedrick being attacked by the creature he vaults over the railing and lands next to them. He draws his blade and settles into a fighting stance. Kaliban takes a second to glance at Shedrick and the man is pushed out of harms way. The gnome then raises his shield and prepares for any attack from the creature.

OOC: Moving to I3 and vaulting over the railing.
Acrobatics check to jump downstairs: 1d20+5 16.
I am then going to use telekenetic movement to move Shedrick up to 30 feet away from the enemy. If the door is still open I will move him outside. If it is closed he will be next to the door.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon hears Hawthorne's instructions, and recognizes his wisdom. Still, he can't do nothing, even if he is just a hired guide. He rushes down the stairs and occupies the space that Shedrick had just magic ally vacated, and does his best to prevent the creature from even escaping.

"Shall I try to grab 'im for yuh, sir?" he asks waving his arms in hopes of distracting the creature for the professionals.

OOC: Move and Dash = 60', which should put him to the staircase, down the staircase, and at J5.
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top