A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Crock Jon gives his uncle an affectionate hug and immediately puts the wagon on blocks, so he can repair the wheel. He waves at the other passengers, but quickly looks away. Some might think that designates shyness, but he's really just focusing on helping his uncle. The man has done so much for him, for so long.

Once the wheel is off he goes in to fetch another one, except when he comes out he doesn't have a wheel, ony some water for the travellers. It's not cold (Crock Jon was once told that cold water on a hot day can make you sick) but it slakes the thirst. Only once he's done that does he remember about the wheel and goes in to fetch it.

Ethian accepted the drink with a smile, and as Crock Jon headed to the fix the wheel, he asked if he could come along to learn. As the half orc was working his trade, Ethian asked a few questions, and it was obvious that the elf knew a thing or two about working wood. He also offered magical support if required to repair any cracks or damaged components.

OOC: FYI, Ethian is proficient in Carpenter's tools & Woodcarver’s tools! ;-)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As Crock Jon helps with both Broun and the wheel repair, Hawthorne extends a formal greeting to the young man. "Many thanks to you. Your uncle has been a tremendous help to me and the Black Dragon Gate Consortium, and I feel responsible for what has happened thus far. Shedrick? Make sure Jon is paid timely and well for the work he is doing for us, please."

Knowing they were going to be resting for a bit as the repair was done, Hawthorne takes out Argenti's medallion and brings it up to his face. Having not really figured out yet how the whole process works, he stares at it and says loudly and slowly "ARGENTI? WE - ARE - STOPPING - FOR - REPAIRS - TO - THE - WAGON. WOULD - YOU - LIKE - TO - COME - OUT - FOR - A - BIT? IT - IS - VERY - NICE - OUT - HERE - WEATHER - WISE."

A little while later, after downing the received the glass of water and wiping his brow of sweat and grime, Hawthorne pulls out the maps in his possession and spreads them out for all to look at. "So getting to the Sunsets... we have two choices. We can travel further south on the Coast Way to Nashkel and then take the Uldoon Trail back up northeast...or we can cut across from here and skirt the southern border of the Wood of Sharp Teeth."

OOC: Intelligence (Navigation Tools) check (unproficient): [15] + 3 = 18

He sucks air through his teeth as he studies the map, trying to remember any of the various trails that the BDGC might have used in years past. Feeling fairly confident in his memories of the area, he glances at the others around the map and shrugs his shoulders slightly. "I'm pretty sure I know some safe trails south of the wood that can take us east quickly to either Greenest or all the way to Berdusk... but it definitely isn't as easy a route as the Uldoon. It really depends on how tired our butts are sitting cramped in this carriage. The Uldoon Trail would be safer, but would probably add several additional more days of travel."

He chuckles to himself and raises his eyebrows. "I guess it comes down to whether any of you have family to visit in Nashkel, or really have a desire to go see the ruins of Durlag's Tower, cause we are probably going to pass by it if we travel directly east." But after he mentions that, he turns to Shedrick and shakes his head. "And no, we are NOT going to stop there on the way to go treasure hunting. I've heard enough stories of that deathtrap that it'd be easier to just kill ourselves here and now rather than let that dwarf's bloody citadel do it."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
As he sees Hawthorne pull out his map, Ethian leans in a bit and takes a look. "This is a fine map" he tells the rogue and he nods at the Hawthorne's assessment of the best path forward.

OOC: In case it is useful, Ethian is proficient in mapmaking tools, as well as navigator tools (and he is equipped with both). he doesn't mention it or make a fuss about it if Hawthorne's recommendation is good - I want this wise elf to be humble ;-)

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti materializes on the other side of her amulet, eye to eye with Hawthorn, while clasping her ears. "You don't have to be so loud. Inside, I can hear with the amulet as if it was my ear."

After a moment to collect herself, the genasi goes to great Crock Jon with a big smile. "Jon, was it? My name is Argenti, pleased to meet you! Your uncle is impressive, I'm sure it runs in the family."

During the route planning meeting, the warlock can't help but to feel a little lost. "The 'Wood of Sharp Teeth' was it? Quite the foreboding name. " She pauses for a moment, as if her attention was drifting elsewhere. "That said, I can understand the need to get out of the carriage sooner, even if I don't have to ride in it all the time."

OOC: I just realized Argenti is an inch taller than Hawthorne. Someone suddenly popping into view right in front of my face would give me a shock :)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon warms instantly to the group that is so welcoming. None of them seem to be boxing fans, and none of them recognize him, or if they do, they don't say anything instead, they seem humble and accepting. Unc's got in with a good group this time, he's thinking to himself.

To Hawthorne, he is polite: "It means a lot for you to say that, sir. My Uncle is a special man, and I want to see him kept safe. It looks like you all are doing that. You have my thanks." He offers a big, meaty hand, itself heavily scarred and calloused from a history of fighting, though it might be mistaken for a lot of heavy labour.

When Ethian rolls up his sleeves, Jon is astounded. Most would leave and go for a meal. This one seems to be skilled with a wedge and a lathe, and between the two of them they make short work of the wheel. As they work, Jon offers to fix the axle as well, and between the two of them (Jon holding up the cart, and guiding the elf as he works beneath prying off the bracket) it is done in an hour. "Thank you," Jon says humbly. "Noy often a proper adventurer will get his hands dirty with menial work. Let me get you some more to drink."

When Argenti approaches, Jon feels he needs to say "I've met a Genasi once," and instantly realizes how gauche and provincial he must sound. "I'm sorry. I meant no offense. You are very kind. you'll watch out for Uncle Broun, will you? He's the only one I've got."

"Where are you headed after this?"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
When Ethian rolls up his sleeves, Jon is astounded. Most would leave and go for a meal. This one seems to be skilled with a wedge and a lathe, and between the two of them they make short work of the wheel. As they work, Jon offers to fix the axle as well, and between the two of them (Jon holding up the cart, and guiding the elf as he works beneath prying off the bracket) it is done in an hour. "Thank you," Jon says humbly. "Noy often a proper adventurer will get his hands dirty with menial work. Let me get you some more to drink."

Ethian nods with a smile “There is no such thing as menial work, and any work done with attention to detail creates a piece of art. And yes, I will gladly accept that drink!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"GAHHHHHH!!!" Hawthorne exclaims, as Argenti apparates not more than a foot past his hand holding the necklace. The shock makes the young man jerk his arm and let go of the necklace... which flips up a couple feet into the air. "WHOA! WHAT?!? WHAHHH!" he shouts, as the necklace drops and he tries to grab it... each time bumbling and bouncing off his two hands, flipping up and down and back and forth. "NO-- WHAT-- I-- GAH--" until finally he gets his left hand on the chain as it dangles about 18 inches off the ground.

Hawthorne slowly stands up, not looking into the eyes of Argenti until he finally reaches a standing position. Then, with all the remaining grace he can muster, he looks at her and hands the necklace back.

"Your necklace, Miss."

He then turns and slowly walks away. Far away. Far, far away. At least 10 feet.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Between Crock Jon and Ethian, they were able to make repairs to the wheel and the loose axle in record time.

Not far away was a horse breeder, and Crock Jon closed his shop and travelled with them to do introductions. By then, he had decided that he must accompany them on the mission, if only to see that his uncle was safe (but also to see the world). Shedrick used the Consortium's money to buy a new fourth horse, and they were off, following the path that Hawthorne had discussed with Ruznami.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon gets a drink for Ethian -- another air-temperature beverage, but this one seems to be some fermented fruit juice, with a bit of a kick. Jon has another mug of water.

"It's clear that someone with your skills doesn't need another carpenter, but I spoke to Mr Miller here and he says it's okay if I keep my uncle company, assuming it's alright with you and your friends. I don't have much to offer, but I can lift things and can maybe help out caring for the animals, if you'd let me."

He adds, "You wouldn't need to pay me much, as long as I was fed and kept. And I can bunk with Unc." He looks hopeful, almost pleading. He would be unrecognizable to his fans, if they were to see him.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
South of Beregost
Day 4/Afternoon
Round 0

“If the Uldoon Trail is safer, and we aren’t in a hurry, why not take that?” Ruznami commented with a shrug. But it wasn’t his decision. He simply took his place back in the carriage, now with an extra member of the party in the large half orc cartwright. He occasionally sent Archimedes flying on ahead, but made sure his tiny burrowing owl got enough time to rest, as well.

Arcane Ward: 0/11 hp

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 28/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases