A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Argenti was correct; they had exhausted all directions other than the strange moss-covered passage.

Mine5.jpg

OOC: Map Key: 1) Way out; 2) Bat cave; 3) North branch (PCs are here); 4) Cave-in (now reinforced); 5) Moss-covered passage.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
With no other way forward, the Agents returned to the moss-covered hole. The opening to that tunnel was nearly circular. The strange black moss covered the walls, floor, and ceiling of the tunnel as far as could be seen. Not far inside, the tunnel split into several branches, all of them covered in the same moss, which muffled sound, causing a sudden lack of echoes that created a sense of claustrophobia. Even a few feet apart, another agent's voice seemed far away and obscured by the moss - their speech became garbled to the point where they often sounded like they were saying things other than what they had spoken, creating constant misunderstandings.

Reluctant to travel too far apart, lest they become quickly lost from the others, they quickly identified five branches - five ways forward, all thick with moss. None seemed any better than the others.

Mine5b.jpg

OOC: You can't even see as far as I've shown here. Still, you can pick any of these five directions to push on. Unpleasant place, isn't it?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon lets the others go ahead. If they choose to take one of the advance passages, he'll be in the back to ensure that nothing approaches them from behind. If anyone needs help carrying things, he'll offer to help.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As he currently stands next to the first passage on the left, Hawthorne motions that way. "We might as well follow Argenti's suggestion she had earlier since there seems to be many ways through. Just take each passage as they come, start left side until it dead-ends, then go back and take the right side, slowly advancing ahead down this tunnel. Let's try to clear or verify clearance as we progress."

He looks down the passage on his left with the darkvision he was granted. "And probably avoid touching the moss if you can help it... just in case."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The first passage on the left was as good as any other, so Hawthorne did his best to duck under the hanging moss, which was impossible to avoid touching. It was clammy and made the skin tingle where it touched, and left stains on clothes that brushed by it. It was quickly discovered that one needed to brush the moss aside just to continue following the tunnel, as often what looked like an opening beyond the moss was a wall, and vice-versa.

The tunnel was wide enough that they did not need to travel single-file, but narrow enough that there were times when the person closest to another would pass through the moss, and yet not be visible when the next person passed through the same. Between that and the strange muffling of sound, the branching of tunnels (some of which would be missed by the person ahead, who could easily take a different branch), and the occasional false echo, it was frighteningly easy to become lost.

Hawthorne, Ethian, and Kaligan were able to stay together. Though they lost each other occasionally for brief moments, they were always able to quickly find each other. Argenti had been out of sight of the others for longer spells, but she eventually found the group.

Cairn and Crock Jon went missing entirely.

OOC: I'll have to privately mini-game @Kobold Stew and @Neurotic, but the rest of you can help by searching for them! dc12 Int saves to keep yourselves together while you search, though, or you too will become lost. I'd post a map, but it's pretty much just a maze of tunnels. You're better off imagining it. When we've found the others (or not), we'll find a way to the next location.

Remove ads