A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

Kaliban turns to look at Voshadi. He smiles and shakes his head.

"No, heavens no. There are no owls in the Underdark. I've seen some bats but they tend to stay near the surface. Down in the deep tunnels most things that fly generally try to eat you. Actually come to think of it most things in the Underdark try to eat you." Kaliban trails off as he speaks, lost in thought. He then speaks up. "But no there are no owls where I am from. Bats more common but still rare."

Kaliban takes another sip from his mug and smiles at the guide.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hawthorne strides to the door of The Hearth and pulls it open, taking the shortest second to smell the stench of ale and food waft over him. He throws one glance back behind him just to see if the Consortium footman had wrapped up the living arrangements for the evening, and when he doesn't notice Shedrick, he turns back and makes his way into the tavern.

The hustle and bustle does not surprise him, nor does the eclectic clientele. Hawthorne takes stock of as many of the people he can see, taking particular notice of the snirfneblin sitting in the large comfy chair near the firepit. With a quick glance he sees that several stools at the bar are open, so he strides over to one and glides into it gently, catching the eye of the tavernkeep behind the counter.

"Good day, Good Sir. Red Dragon Crush, please. And a plate of the day's meat and cheese when you have a moment. Thank you"

Hawthorne's eyes wander around the room, taking in more of the sights esoteric sights... especially that of the clockwork device whirling away above the bar. He admires the craftmanship momentarily, and then something clicks in his head... the recognization of an Avowed sitting next to each of what looked to be a library patron. He mumbled quietly to himself "That's right... everyone has a guide." The slight grimace that flashes across his face might give away how the human man felt about being followed around all day... but like anyone who works for a large business, you sometimes were stuck in the situations you didn't care for while the job needing doing. "Well, I'll just enjoy my time without a chaperone while I can get it... let's see how well the adjutants are at actually finding us."

As he is handed his wine from the tavernkeep, he motions to him that he is moving over across the room to the overstuffed chairs near the firepit, the implication being to serve the meal over there. While in truth from Grandview's point of view, he was going to hide himself behind a high-backed seat away from the door so that perhaps his guide wouldn't be as quick to find him and he could enjoy a little more time in peace.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hawthorne's peace did not last. First, Shedrick came in and found him. The young footman was astonished to find that the Hearth was bigger on the inside than the outside, and would not let the subject drop. This familiar language quite crossed the line of footman and master, and Hawthorne was torn between putting up with it or berating him publicly; neither option was preferable.

It was then that a fresh-faced tiefling youth in the purple robes of the Avowed entered the tavern. She spotted him at the bar as if they had met before and came over, saying without a breath, "Hello! I've been assigned to be your guide! I'm so happy to do it. This is my first assignment. My parents called my Irony, which is pretty funny if you think about it. I'm pleased to meet you. Did you need me to find you a book while you get settled? Maybe just some light reading for the afternoon? Or do you want to get right down to some good hard research. I like research, but sometimes I just like a good read, if you know what I mean. What do you like? I see that you chose the Red Dragon Crush, which goes really well with that cheese. That's a good choice. I think we're going to get along well. Have you had a chance to look around? I can give you a tour if you want. Where are you from? I've lived my whole life here in Candlekeep. It makes me good at finding books, but not very good at some other things that most people know about, so I hope you'll forgive me..."

It took a while before she thought to stop and let him answer any of her questions or to get a word in.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Candlekeep
Afternoon
Round 0

“Do not bother,” Ruznami said to the elf. “The owl is a magical familiar, and so does no need to…” he trailed off as Archimedes settled on the back of the elf’s chair and snatched the cheese from the elf’s hand. “...eat.” Ruz sighed. “His name is Archimedes,” he said, giving the little owl a glare.

Archimedes looked back smuggly.

Then a young tiefling Avowed came in and Ruz groaned inwardly as she started prattling on at a Seeker near him at the bar. Irony. Poor man. Still, like himself, the young woman was a ward of the library and a foundling.

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

FitzTheRuke

Legend
In the bathhouse, the ogre and old woman looked up from their conversation and nodded to Argenti that they did not mind her joining them. She introduced herself as she slid into the pool, and the woman said, "Good to meet you, Seeker Argenti. I am Kazryn Nyantani, of the eight Great Readers. My friend here is the Seeker we call Little One."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"... I've lived my whole life here in Candlekeep. It makes me good at finding books, but not very good at some other things that most people know about, so I hope you'll forgive me..."
Hawthorne's eyes widen slowly as the young tiefling's speechifying continues unabated. The blank, slightly panicked look on his face freezes in place, and when she finally takes a breath his eyes quickly dart from Irony to young Shedrick, and then from Shedrick back to Irony.

"Yes?" Hawthorne says quickly and simply.

He then spins back on his stool to turn back to his glass... and then takes a long, long, long, long draught of the wine.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The bath was a welcome experience. Warm, with a good mix of minerals. Despite being scholars and monks, it seemed the Avowed knew how to pamper themselves and their guests.

"The pleasure is mine, Great Reader, Little One." Argenti turns to each by name. "May I ask what you were discussing, or if that is too sensitive, what brought you here?"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Candlekeep
Afternoon
Round 0

“Do not bother,” Ruznami said to the elf. “The owl is a magical familiar, and so does no need to…” he trailed off as Archimedes settled on the back of the elf’s chair and snatched the cheese from the elf’s hand. “...eat.” Ruz sighed. “His name is Archimedes,” he said, giving the little owl a glare.

Archimedes looked back smuggly.

Then a young tiefling Avowed came in and Ruz groaned inwardly as she started prattling on at a Seeker near him at the bar. Irony. Poor man. Still, like himself, the young woman was a ward of the library and a foundling.
Aren’t you full or surprises” Ethian said to the owl with a smile, in perfect yet overly musical dwarvish. It was difficult for an elf to get the accent right, not because it was impossible, but rather because the temptation to add colour to the very factual language was so strong, nearly irresistible. Dwarvish idioms were rather interesting to an elf, and the ancient language had its own beauty, that elven sensibilities naturally emphasized.

Master dwarf, I am Ethian, and it is a pleasure to make your owl’s and your acquaintance.” After waiting for an answer, Ethian continues with lighthearted conversation. “May I as what brings you here?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
At the bar in the Hearth, Irony took Hawthorne's affirmation as an answer to her first question, regarding finding a book for him to read over the afternoon, and she erupted into a list of suggestions, describing the plots, the authors, and the physical qualities of the books themselves. Kaliban's guide Parmak looked up from his book and appeared for a moment like he would say something to her, but instead he got up, and moved to an empty chair in a corner, returning to his reading.

When Ethian asked Ruznami what brought him to Candlekeep, Voshadi interjected in elvish, "He lives here. This is Master Reader Ruznami."

In the bathhouse, the Great Reader explained the subject of their discussion, but as it was on a book that Argenti had not read, she had little to say on it. They politely put that aside, and Little One shared his story, saying in a mild soft voice for one so large, "Once I was like much of my kin, an oaf, a brute. I crushed my enemies with my club and I felt no remorse. One day, years ago, I came upon a halfling wanderer. Before the little one could object, I flattened her with my club, and I took a shiny circlet from her head. To my dumbfound surprise, it soon changed size to fit me, so I put it on. My mind was changed - I could more deeply reason and ponder, and as I thought about my actions, I began to regret. Eventually I made my way here and I gained entry with my journal, having taught myself to write."

Great Reader Nyantani added, "He writes very well thought-out pieces; and so he is permitted - in fact, welcomed - to remain."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As the young tiefling began rattling off a long list of tomes, Hawthorne soon realized he was about to be inundated by a stack of books having nothing to do with what he was here for... and he quickly concluded he better give a meaningful response. As she was detailing the fine and smooth basilisk leather skin that covers a fairly large book about duergar bridge architecture from the 1100s... he raises his hand to her and says over the din "Yes, thank you, Ivory! Those sound lovely. You certainly know your stuff! But uh... actually I was looking for reference or historical material regarding mining details of the Southern Sword Coast. Say between the Trollbark and Tethir Forests and as far east as the Lake of Dragons?"

He waits a second to make sure she actually heard him over her own voice, and when she pauses in her speech to look at him he smiles wide and lowers his hand. "Does that make sense? Anything about mines and mining from Trollbark to Tethir and out to the Lake of Dragons... and let's not go too far back into history. Say only as far back as the Time of Troubles. Okay? Good. Thank you."

And with that... satisfied he gave just enough information to keep Irony busy without going overboard, the young consortium inquisitive turns to his footman Shedrick and raises at eyebrow. "We all set for rooms, Shedrick? Anything the people here require of me at the inn? If not, get yourself a drink and we'll add it to the Black Dragon tab I've set up. But please remember we are still on office time right now, so let's not have happen like what happened that last time at the speakeasy in Scornubel, all right?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases