log in or register to remove this ad

 

A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Road
Day 1/Afternoon
Round 1

As Argenti blasted her magic at one of the gnolls, Ruznami took several deep breaths, trying to call on the warlike feelings of his dwarven ancestors. He darted from cover behind the large rock, gripping his warhammer, stumbling through the thick bushes toward a gap in the palisade, casting a spell as he went. Suddenly there were three more armored, white bearded dwarves wielding warhammers and spells charging toward the gap in the palisade! And a flicker of magical energy surrounded each one as Ruznami’s arcane ward shimmered to life.

OOC: Is Ruznami’s Detect Magic pinging anything? Likely not, as he wasn’t able to get that close yet.

***

Mirror Image: 3 duplicates (AC 12, target on a 6+)(10r)
Twilight Sanctuary: 7 thp/r w/in 30’ of Ethian
Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp
Detect Magic (99r)
Comprehend Languages (599r)

Save:
Move: difficult terrain means he can get to F15
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Cast Mirror Image
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26+7thp/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Kaliban watches as two gnolls begin to chase the horses. Not wanting to be so separated from the others Kaliban turns to the side of the tent he is using as cover. With a flick from his rapier the tents material separates leaving a gnome sized hole. Kaliban slips into the dark interior of the tent and moves towards the opening into the camp. He curses his short legs as he is unable to make it out of the tent to engage the gnoll standing just outside the opening.

OOC: Action: DC10 strength check to cut side the of the tent.: 1d20+3 15
Move: 25 feet through the tent to the entrance near Q13 or as close as I can get with my 25' movement.
 
Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Ethian breathes a sigh of relief as he see Kaliban emerge from the tent. Empowered by Sehanine's twilight, and wanting to attract some of the gnolls away from the gnome, he emerges from behind the rocks, and moves forward to meet them in battle. As he advances, he shouts in common: "Surrender or forfeit your lives!"



Ethian advances towards the K13 Gnoll and if it doesn't throw its weapon on the ground, he will begin casting.

OOC: move towards K13
action: cast sacred flame, dexterity save DC 14 or 3 radiant damage
Note: I'm assuming Ethian has his sword and shield in hand (his shield has his deity's symbol, so he can cast sacred flame (VS))
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Shadows lengthened on the western side of the hill as Ethian, Ruznami, and Argenti advanced. The hyena jumped to its feet and gave a cackling howl before rushing down the hill to nip at Ruznami's illusory dwarves. The largest of the gnolls gave off chasing the horses and raised his head and hooted (a very odd noise) before turning back toward the west, shouting in his strange tongue to his crew to slay the invaders.

Kaliban slipped through the back of the tent and made his way forward. Had it not been for the harshness of his past, he may have been horrified by what he saw there. The tent was furnished with the bones of humanoids - both as various useful objects and as grotesque works of art. Many were engraved with infernal symbols.

As he peeked out the tent's flap, the large gnoll saw him and rushed toward him. Kaliban stepped back into the tent as the big gnoll's head thrust through the heavy canvas and snapped powerful jaws at him like a feral animal.


OOC: Hyena dashes. Gnoll1 bites at Kaliban Bite: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14 for 1D4+2 = [4]+2 = 6 Miss.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The gnolls rushed around the campfire organising their defense. One threw a spear that pierced through one of Ruznami's dwarves, causing the illusion to fall to the ground and disappear (the spear remained stuck in the sod). Then, one pulled and fired a heavy-looking bow; the arrow would have struck Ethian, but Sehanine's protection prevailed and the arrow passed through a shadowy patch under his arm. Another hollered, leaped past the crude wooden defenses, and ran down the hill to threaten the elf.

To the east, a lone gnoll caught the slowest horse while the other two dashed off into the trees.

With all the gnolls occupied, Hawthorne was able to creep up the hill to where Broun was tied to a post. The half-orc driver had been badly beaten and under-fed (a prisoner for two days), but he was solidly-built, even at middle-age, and his eyes still held a sharp look of defiance. When he realised that it was Hawthorne who was behind him, he arched his head and quietly nodded his head in great relief as Hawthorne used a small tool to release the very tight knot that bound his arms.

OOC: Gnolls go. G2 catches a horse. Does G3 Target a mirror image?:Spell: 1D20 = [14] = 14 Yes. G3 throws a Spear: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12 & destroys a mirror image. G4 shoots an arrow at Ethian: Bow: 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19 hit for 1D8+1 = [6]+1 = 7 (Takes out E's THP); G5 dashes. Broun is freed.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Gnolls
GnollCamp2.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Bushes, Shrubs, Rocks, Wooden Posts. Hazzard Fire Pit
Visibility: Bright (It's daytime)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Hawthorne AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 35/35 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP10* SED 4/4 (d6's)
Ethian AC19* HP 27/27 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 1/1
Argenti AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 1/2
Ruznami AC15 HP 26/26 THP 7/7 AW10/10 HD 4/4 PP10* PInv15 SS 4/4 3/3
--RuzMirror AC12 2/3 Images (Target8+)
(NPCs)
Broun AC11 HP 1/18 PP12* (Exhaustion 4)
Shedrick AC13 HP 16/16 THP 7/7 PP11 (has a Healing Potion)
Hyena AC11 HP 9/9 PP13*
Gnoll1(Boss) AC15 HP 32/32 PP11
Gnolls AC14 HP 22ea PP10*
G2 22/22; G3 15/22; G4 22/22 G5 22/22
GM: End Round One; Begin Round Two
 

Kaliban deflects the creatures jaws with his shield. The move creates an opening that he uses to strike with his rapier. As he strikes he focuses his mind at the tip of his sword. The blade strikes true sinking deep into the gnoll. At the same instant a telekinetic blow slams into the creature. Kaliban prepares for the counter attack from the gnoll and glances at the others to see how his allies are faring.

OOC: Strike at Gnoll 1 w Rapier: 1d20+5 23 1d8+3 11
Expand a psionic energy die to use psionic strike. Psionic Strike damage: 1d6+3 9
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

DEFCON 1

Legend
As the bonds holding Broun fall away, Hawthorne slowly lifts the halfork to his feet... keeping an eye to the south on the gnoll currently engaged with Kalliban. He whispers "Hold on, my friend. Let's get you out of here. Come this way... Shedrick is under cover behind the large rocks and he'll fix you up." He helps bring Broun to his feet, then starts escorting the coachman back to where Shedrick resides.

OOC: Hawthorne walks with the coachman 15 feet in the direction of where Shedrick is hiding [15' move to M3].

- If Broun requires assistance the entire way, Hawthorne continues to walk with him the remainder of his 30' move, then uses his action to Dash with Broun to get as far over to Shedrick as they can, using the left tent for blocking cover.

- If Broun can walk on his own to get over to Shedrick, Hawthorne lets him go, then...
  • pulls out his light crossbow [object interaction]
  • uses the remainder of his movement to move up against the tent [15' move to M6]
  • uses a Cunning Bonus action to Hide [Stealth: 1d20+4+10: [12] + 4 + PwT 10 = 26]
  • then leans out to fire at the Gnoll 1 Boss. [Attack w/Advantage: 2d20: 6/11: [11] + 4 = 15 / Damage: [8] + 2 + SA [4] = 14 piercing damage]
 
Last edited:


FitzTheRuke

Legend
While Hawthorne helped Broun to his feet, the largest gnoll snapped its jaws at Kaliban and tried to strike him with an axe, but the gnome held firm behind his shield. Bloodied to a frenzy, the gnoll howled, which was matched by the others.

Ethian traded blows with the gnoll in near him, though protected by the magical twilight the elf didn't even feel a scratch. The gnoll, on the other hand, snarled in pain.

Broun was unsteady on his feet, but he insisted that he could make it to Shedrick, who moved from behind one rock to a closer one, waving for Broun to join him in cover. Hawthorne reluctantly left him and crept behind the tents. When he found a good position, he took aim and fired his crossbow, which struck the lead gnoll in the side of the neck. The thing's howl turned into a choked gurgle and it fell to the ground at Kaliban's feet.

OOC: Kaliban did 20 to Gnoll1, who missed Kaliban; Ethian did 10 to G5, who got him back for 4. (Though I guess that's still just THP); Broun dashed (with 1/2 speed); Hawthorne did 14 & killed G1. @KahlessNestor Ruz needs to go!
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Road
Day 1/Afternoon
Round 2

Ruznami paused for a moment, his adrenaline spiking, as he faced a charging hyena and a thrown spear pierced one of his duplicates through the chest. Why did he ever leave the library! But his magics didn’t fail him, so he tugged at his reluctant dwarven courage and swung his warhammer at the hyena, magic infusing the head of the hammer. Unfortunately, the unpracticed dwarf completely whiffed the blow and nearly fell over himself.

Warhammer 2H: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8
1D10+2 = [5]+2 = 7


Archimedes hooted and swept down at the hyena to help out his master.

***

Help from Archimedes next turn
Mirror Image: 2 duplicates (AC 12, target on a 8+)(9r)
Twilight Sanctuary: 7 thp/r w/in 30’ of Ethian
Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp
Detect Magic (98r)
Comprehend Languages (598r)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Cast Booming blade (Archimedes does fly by attack for Help on the hyena)
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26+7thp/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The hyena leaped past the illusionary dwarves to snap its sharp teeth at Ruznami, though the mysterious shadows of Ethian's magic protected him from any serious harm.

One of the howling gnolls yelled something in their high-pitched tongue (which Ruznami, with his ritual going, understood to be, "Kill the elf first! He smells of the gods!"

Another gnoll rushed to Ethian and thrust a spear at him, while yet another pulled and fired an arrow, which passed harmlessly by his ear as Ethian tipped his head to one side. The spear thrust got him, but the point did not go deep.

Over to the east, a gnoll brought back and hitched a horse to a post. He seemed about to go after another horse, but spotted Kaliban standing next to the body of the largest gnoll. Instead, he unshouldered a longbow and began to pull...

OOC: Hyena bites Ruz for 6; G2 Hitches horse; G3 spears Ethian for 4; G4 misses Ethian.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Gnolls
GnollCamp3.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Bushes, Shrubs, Rocks, Wooden Posts. Hazzard: Fire Pit
Visibility: Bright (It's daytime)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Hawthorne AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 35/35 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP10* SED 4/4 (d6's)
Ethian AC19* HP 26/27 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 1/1
Argenti AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 1/2
Ruznami AC15 HP 26/26 THP 7/7 AW10/10 HD 4/4 PP10* PInv15 SS 4/4 3/3
---RuzMirror AC12 2/3 Images (Target8+)
(NPCs)
Broun AC11 HP 1/18 PP12* (Exhaustion 4)
Shedrick AC13 HP 16/16 THP 7/7 PP11 (has a Healing Potion)
Hyena AC11 HP 9/9 PP13*
Gnoll1(Boss) (dead)
Gnolls AC14 HP 22ea PP10*
G2 22/22; G3 15/22; G4 22/22 G5 12/22
GM: End Round Two; Begin Round Three
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
With a grunt, Argenti hurls another glowing green stone at the snarling gnoll next to Ethian. The stone lands itself in the gnoll's gaping maw, sending teeth flying from a dislocated jaw, and shatters as the gnoll falls over.

"That should teach you some manners!"

OOC: Maintaining Concentration on Pass Without Trace. Argenti does not know Hawthorne's current position, so she has no reason to drop the spell yet.
Attacking G5 with Eldritch Blast.
Eldritch Blast: 1D20+6 = [15]+6 = 21
Eldritch Blast Damage 2 is bludgeoning the rest is force: 1D10+4+2 = [7]+4+2 = 13
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
As the gnoll boss drops from his crossbow bolt, Hawthorne smirks and says under his breath "That's right. Take that, you villain."

He turns back and see the shuffling form of Broun making his way back towards his footman, and with his head turned he picks up the sounds of spellcasting from around the tent. Hawthorne silently darts around the tent counter-clockwise, pulling out another crossbow bolt and locking it into place in his weapon, then settling in between the canvas tent wall and a large tree it was built against. He leans out and sees ahead of him to the south and sees Ethian squaring off against two gnolls... but suddenly a blast of force flies out from the rocks and smashes into one of them, dropping the beast to the ground. "Holy..." Hawthorne whispers to himself impressed... but seeing that Ethian isn't out of the metaphorical woods yet, he raises his crossbow, aims at the second gnoll that is slightly blocked by the elf, and fires at it from the shadow of the tree.

OOC: Stealth check: [11] + 4 + 10 (PoT) = 24
Crossbow attack on G3 who is behind Partial Cover (Ethian) w/Advantage (Hidden): 16/10: [16] + 4 = 20
Damage: [5] + 2 + 10 (SA) = 17 piercing damage
 
Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Explorer

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Road
Day 1/Afternoon
Round 2

The hyena snapped at Ruznami, and the dwarf was a little too slow in jumping back, but the cleric’s protective spell meant the beast only got a mouthful of shadows before it was distracted by Archimedes, and Ruznami swung his ensorcelled warhammer again. The hammer smashed into the hyena’s skull, and the animal crumpled.

Concentration check: 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21

***

Help from Archimedes next turn
Detect Magic (97r) - CONCENTRATION
Mirror Image:
2 duplicates (AC 12, target on a 8+)(9r)
Twilight Sanctuary: 7 thp/r w/in 30’ of Ethian
Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp
Comprehend Languages (597r)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Warhammer 2H: 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22
1D10+2 = [8]+2 = 10

Advantage from Help: Warhammer 2H: 1D20+4 = [10]+4 = 14
Booming Blade: 1D8 = [7] = 7

Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration: Detect Magic
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26+7thp/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

After seeing the decor inside the tent realizes that these gnolls would continue to terrorize people if left alive. He moves towards the next closest gnoll. Kaliban closes on the creature and prepares to strike. The gods did not favor him this time. The wind shifts and the smoke from the fire wahses over the two combatants. Kaliban's eyes water and his strike goes wide missing the gnoll. Cursing under his breath Kaliban raises his shield to defend himself from the expected counter attack.

OOC: Move to L13
Rapier strike at G4: 1d20+5 9 1d8+3 5
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Shedrick helped Broun as the two worked their way back to the cover of the rocks. Hawthorne crept behind the tents to take quiet, lethal aim at a gnoll who was surrounding Ethian, while Argenti struck down the other.

Finding himself free, Ethian pressed up the hill into the camp and struck a gnoll with his sword. The gnoll tried to back off while firing an arrow from her bow that went wild when the elf's magic cracked a painful noise that threw off her aim. She got a few steps away from the elf before running into Kaliban, who came threw the drifting smoke of the campfire and lunged at her.

From over where the horses had been, another gnoll came back into the camp, and put an arrow into the gnome's back. The arrow head was sharp and uncomfortable, but it had barely pierced the armour protecting Kaliban's back.

Down the hill, Ruznami mashed the hyena and he, along with two other dwarves, made their way through the shrubbery and started up the hill toward the fray.

OOC: Argenti dropped G5; Hawthorne dropped G3; so Ethian moved up & did 12 & 1 boom to G4, who backed off while missing Ethian & ran into Kaliban, who missed her; Ruz killed the Hyena & moved up. G2 shot Kaliban for 9.
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top