• COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! The standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love!
log in or register to remove this ad

 

A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Gnolls
GnollCamp4.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Bushes, Shrubs, Rocks, Wooden Posts. Hazzard: Fire Pit
Visibility: Bright (It's daytime)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Hawthorne AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 33/35 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP10* PED 3/4 (d6's)
Ethian AC19* HP 26/27 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 1/1
Argenti AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 1/2
Ruznami AC15 HP 26/26 THP 7/7 AW10/10 HD 4/4 PP10* PInv15 SS 4/4 3/3
---RuzMirror AC12 2/3 Images (Target8+)
(NPCs)
Broun AC11 HP 1/18 PP12* (Exhaustion 4)
Shedrick AC13 HP 16/16 THP 7/7 PP11 (has a Healing Potion)
Hyena AC11 HP 0/9 PP13* (dead)
Gnoll1(Boss) AC15 HP 0/32 PP11 (dead)
Gnolls AC14 HP 22ea PP10*
G2 22/22; G3 0/22 (dead); G4 9/22 G5 0/22 (dead)
GM: End Round Three; Begin Round Four
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Kaliban senses the gnoll behind him. Without thinking his mind creates a force shield between himself and the gnoll. The arrow that was fired stops inches from Kalibans back and drops to the ground.

OOC: Using my reaction to use Protective Field. It reduces damage taken by 1d6+int.

Protective field Reaction: 1d6+3 8

Sorry probably should have mentioned that feature so you were aware.
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
With all the gnolls taken care of on the west side of the encampment... Hawthorne listens and hears the thwack of an arrow hitting a shield around back to the east side. He once again silently moves around the north end of his tent, cocks another crossbow bolt into his weapon, then peaks out from behind it to see another gnoll back partially behind the eastern tent.

He whispers to himself "Come on, you... step out... step out... don't make this shot harder than it is..." then raises the crossbow and fires, hoping to catch the gnoll and not the tent...

OOC: Move to N6 using Stealth: [7] + 4 + 10 (PwT) = 21
Attack G2 (behind partial cover) w/Advantage: 2/2: [2] + 4 = 6

But sure enough, the young man was not able to get his aim right across the camp and the bolt impacted against the canvas of the large tent, rather than his target.
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Gnoll after gnoll falls. With success comes confidence. With confidence comes risky behaviors.

Argenti effortlessly strode on top of the rock she had been using for cover to get a better look at the battlefield, spotting the archer beyond the fire pit. Eye's narrowing on the beast, the warlock winds up to hurl another green stone. "Whoo!" The pitch lands square in the gnoll's stomach, eliciting a yipe of pain.

OOC: Mantaining Concentration on Pass Without Trace.
Moving out of cover and climbing on top the rock E-14 with the Genasi's racial Earth Walk power (which lets Argenti ignore difficult terrain made of stone) to get a view. Then blasting Gnoll G2
Eldritch Blast: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16
Eldritch Blast Damage 2 is bludgeoning the rest is force: 1D10+4+2 = [9]+4+2 = 15
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Road
Day 1/Afternoon
Round 3

Ruznami signalled to Archimedes, and the owl swooped down at the gnoll that was in Kaliban’s face as the dwarf wizard marched up the hill to the gnoll and swung his warhammer, striking the gnoll hard, but not killing it.

***

Help from Archimedes next turn
Detect Magic (96r) - CONCENTRATION
Mirror Image:
2 duplicates (AC 12, target on a 8+)(8r)
Twilight Sanctuary: 7 thp/r w/in 30’ of Ethian
Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp
Comprehend Languages (596r)

Save:
Move: to M12
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Warhammer Gnoll 4
Warhammer 2H Advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+4 = [12, 7]+4 = 16
1D10+2 = [5]+2 = 7

Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration: Detect Magic
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26+7thp/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

Kaliban takes advantage of Archimedes distraction and slashes at the gnoll. The strike lands true, piercing the creatures heart. Turning in a fluid motion the gnome spins and moves to engage the final gnoll. Pushing himself he slashes again but his luck doesn't hold out and the gnoll deflects the blow with his weapon.

OOC: Action: Rapier strike at G4: 1d20+5 24 1d8+3 8
Move: Moving to S11 to attack G2.
Action Surge: Action surge attack against G2: 1d20+5 16 1d8+3 7
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
...As the last gnoll deflected his blade with her bow, Kaliban ducked low and brought the blade up suddenly. The bow split in two and the blade pierced the gnoll's abdomen and she fell to the ground kicking and howling before she lay still on the ground.

Back down the hill, Shedrick helped Broun to cover. For a moment he considered feeding the valuable healing potion to the half-orc driver, but he heard the gnoll's death-wail and the silence that followed. He kept the stopper on and instead patted old Broun on the shoulder and said, "You'll be all right, old man. We've got a healer."

Broun would normally have objected to being called old, but at the moment he just sighed and nodded in relief. The lack of objection and the general look of defeat on a man who he knew well (and found intimidating) shook Shedrick worse than had the threat of battle, and he bitterly regretted the jibe.

OOC: Kaliban blocked some damage; Hawthorne hid, but missed his target; Argenti did 15 to G2; Ruz did 7 to G4; Kaliban killed G4 and then killed G2 (a 16 hits); Shedrick got Broun to cover.


GM: End of Encounter
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
Perhaps it was Ethian's flame, or perhaps it was Kaliban's blade that felled the last gnoll. Either way, the hill fell silent and the group that had gathered in Candlekeep had their victory. A solid, well-earned victory. They had all done their part, and their assault had gone so well that the only injury was a small scratch to Ethian's ribs from a near-miss from a spear thrust. His tunic needed mending, but his skin was barely broken.

On the other hand, Broun had been badly beaten. In addition, they needed to find the two missing horses before dusk, which was now less than an hour away. The tents were large, but according to Broun, there were no other gnolls. This group was most likely out of the Wood of Sharp Teeth (named for its history of werewolves, demons, and demon-worshipping gnolls) which began some thirty leagues to the east. Gnolls raiding along the Coast Way was not unheard of. It was rare for them to venture quite this close to Candlekeep, however.

With his ritual enhancing his sight, Ruznami noticed, on the body of the pack-leader, two items that he quickly realized were potions, stored in purpose-carved gourdes. One was easily recognised as a healing potion (though darker in liquid and earthier smelling than he was used to). The other looked and smelled like rotting blood, but it gave off an aura of infernal magic.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Road
Day 1/Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami panted a bit at the exertion and excitement as he stared down at the gnoll he’d killed. The first sentient being he had killed… The dwarf turned and threw up. When he was finished, he pulled out his canteen to wash the vomit from his beard and clean his hammer before whistling for Archimedes.

A glimmer of color caught his eye. He went over to the gnoll leader and pulled out two gourds containing potions of some kind.

“Got something,” Ruz reported to the others as he studied the magical auras around the potions.

OOC: What schools of magic are they?

***

Detect Magic (95r) - CONCENTRATION
Mirror Image:
2 duplicates (AC 12, target on a 8+)(7r)
Twilight Sanctuary: 7 thp/r w/in 30’ of Ethian
Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp
Comprehend Languages (597r)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration: Detect Magic
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26+7thp/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 


Steve Gorak

Explorer
Ethian plays a bit with the tear in his tunic I’ll fix this tonight he thinks to himself. He takes a quick glance inside the tents to make sure no ennemies are hiding, and resists an overwhelming feeling of revulsion by what he see in there. He moves on to Broun “Lay still my friend, let me see your wounds ”. He asks Ruz “Is there a healing potion? If so, this man needs it. I’ve only prepared a battle healing spell, and this man needs more than what I can do”.

OOC: religion check: 5 for what Ethian sees inside the tents

note that Ethian only has healing word prepared, so he’s not much of a healer right now
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Shedrick nodded and pulled the stopper on the healing potion. He'd hoped to save it, but he knew the elf had a better idea of Broun's condition than he did.

"Holdin' out on me, boy?" snarked the half orc as he gratefully drank, "Aah. That's good stuff."

The half-orc climbed to his feet, still a little wobbly and looked around for the horses, giving a whistle.

"They won't have gone far." he insisted and he gave a look to Shedrick that suggested that the young man go find them.

OOC: Broun is now at 9/18 HP and 4 levels of exhaustion.
 

Ruznami Warmaker
Road
Day 1/Afternoon
Round 0

The three remaining Ruznamis gathered up the potions from the gnolls. The dwarf looked over at Ethian. “This one is a healing potion,” he said, tossing it over to Ethian if he needed it. “The other one is something else. Give me some time, and I’ll identify it.”

Ruznami pulled up one of the seats the gnolls had used around the fire and pulled out a large pearl. He settled the potion in his lap and prepared a ritual that would let him identify it.

((Ritually casting Identify for 11 minutes.))

***

Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp
Comprehend Languages (486r)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration: Detect Magic
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26+7thp/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When Ruznami was done his ritual, he knew that the potion was known as "Blood of Yeenoghu" (whether or not it possessed any actual demon blood, far or less the blood of a demon lord, seemed unlikely to Ruznami, though it very likely did contain the actual blood of someone, much to his disgust.

GM: Blood of Yeenoghu When you drink this potion's foul-smelling blood-like liquid, you become consumed with bloodlust and gain the following benefits for 10 minutes: You have advantage on attack rolls, strength checks, and strength saving throws. Each time you hit with an attack roll, you deal 1d4 extra damage. You gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, but attack rolls against you have advantage.

OOC: Friendly, ain't it?
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Gnoll camp
Day 1/Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami blinked as he came out of his spell and stood up. “It is a potion to make the drinker into a ferocious fighter, heedless of his own safety as he rages through battle like a demon lord,” the dwarf said, holding the gourd out to the others.

OOC: Sorry if it confused anyone. I posted my last post from home, and it must have logged me in under my own name for some reason. Or I picked the “Log in through Goggle” option rather than looking up my account information.

***

Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp
Comprehend Languages (485r)
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
As the last of the hyena creatures falls, Hawthorne sighs in heavy relief and shakes his head in amazement. This was the kind of actions his older siblings got into, not him. He wipes some sweat from his brow, places his crossbow back into its holster, and then quickly jobs back over to his men. He arrives just in time to see Broun down the healing elixir, whistles for the horses, then suggest Shedrick go find the ones that are missing.

"My goodness, Broun, you gave us all a good scare. How are you, my friend? I am very happy to see you came out of this ordeal with a head still upon your shoulders." He walks over and clasps a hand on the old halfork's shoulder. "I think this is something we need to report back to the Flaming Fist when we return to Baldur's Gate. I don't care the cost... they need to get more patrols out here on the road down to Candlekeep. This never should have happened."

As Shedrick hitched up his breeches in preparation to go find the horses as Broun suggested, Hawthorne raised a single finger to the young man. "Give me a moment, Shedrick, and then I will join you in finding the horses." He looks around at the rest of the group and nods appreciatively. "You have each done the Black Dragon's Gate a great service. Heedless of your own safety you have acquitted yourselves to the highest standard and brought our man Broun to safety. We cannot thank you enough. I will make sure you are each identified back at the offices for your bravery and sacrifice and will do my best to see that you are rewarded for your service."

He nods to each of the men and women here, then looks back at Shedrick. "Come, my good man. Let us see if we can find the other horses so that we can get Broun saddled up and ready to go back home properly this time!"
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
With the last gnoll felled and the camp clear of other dangers, Argenti sits and meditates. The earth was her element, and though the dust and dirt on the ground here was different than the sands of her homeland, sifting it between her fingers served well enough to calm the adrenaline of battle. During her travels, the genasi had seen several tragic events, and it felt good to prevent one of them.

After Hawthorne's speech, she takes a moment to gingerly clasp the wounded half orc. "Good to see you up, Broun." Smiling, she turns to the scholars of the group. "Do you suppose Candlekeep would let him stay a few nights before heading home, as a mercy?"
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
At Argenti's suggestion of staying at Candlekeep, Broun straightened and said, "I wouldn't want to be a bother to those learned folk. Thanks to you all, I should be well enough once we're away from here and on the road. The coach tipped over when they killed my lead horse (I had tried to make a dash for it) but it should be easy enough to right and repair if we can get back to it."

It had been part of Shedrick's duties on the way down that he help Broun to water, feed, and groom the horses at the various rest stops. The horses remembered him, and though they were frightened by the smell of gnolls (and the blood), they came when he called. With Hawthorne's help, it was a quick thing to gather them up.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It would be growing dark by the time the Black Dragon Agents returned to the main road (and the site of the overturned coach). A discussion began on the merits and issues with staying at the gnoll camp until morning.

OOC: What would you prefer? You can probably get the coach on the road by nightfall, but you won't make the next best campsite. (Of course, you could stop anywhere, or press on with light spells and lanterns until you reach the first roadside camp). It wouldn't be late-late, just after dark.
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top