A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"I'd love to go with you!" exclaimed Irony. Then, much to Hawthorne's relief, she added, "But my duties here don't allow it. Master Ruz is lucky to be a Master Reader, who can come and go as he likes. Not that I've ever seen him go. Have you ever left Candlekeep, Master Ruz? I haven't, except for that once when I went fishing with Little One, but that was only down the road."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Candlekeep
Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami seemed embarrassed by Irony’s questions, muttering into his white beard. “No,” he admitted. “I have never left the monastery.” He fussed over the book, ironing out the creases. They really should get this recopied by a professional hand. It would be more readable.

“This is the mine the guild is looking for?” Ruz asked. “I suppose I could lend my aid to an expedition up there.”

Ruz pulled out a map of the mountain area to find the village of Maerin.

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hawthorne watches as the dwarven Master Reader takes his time trying to smooth and clean the book that he had found, admiring his technique and desire to keep things tidy. When the high elf, Ethian is his name, makes the call to journeying out to find this village of Maerin, Hawthorne nods in agreement. "That was exactly my thought as well, Mister Ethian. We of the Black Dragon Gate are constantly trying to find and recover old mines across the Sword Coast... both for the historical value, as well as... well, I guess let me be blunt... economical value as well."

He tilts his head and shrugs his shoulders in a sort of "It is what it is" sort of response to his own comment. "We've actually done extensive work trying to recover the remnants of an iron mine north of here in the Cloak Wood. Was flooded over a hundred years ago by... get this... a spawn of the dead god Bhaal. Can you believe that? Who knew the God of Murder hated mining so much that he'd send his kids to go around destroying them. Crazy."

Looking around the room and counting the number of folks here that all volunteered to help him with his research, he realizes that he might have just enough to fill out an excursion party to go off in search of this village of Vermeillon and the platinum mine adjacent to it. "I've been commissioned by the Consortium to find out whatever information I can, and this book here..." He motions to Ruz, still in possession of A Deep and Creeping Darkness. "...gives us a fairly strong lead to go on. Shedrick and I will be preparing to journey forth--" He suddenly realizes something and furrows his brow in irritation as he glances at his footman. "--we probably shouldn't have sent the coach back home, should we? We could have used it." Hawthorne heaves a big sigh in resignation for not having thought far enough ahead. "Well, in any case... we're going to go look for this place and I have the gold to hire anyone experienced in this line of search and work to lend aid. You've all proven yourselves useful in a library setting-- anyone feel like you are good out in the field too?"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"Friend, no need to call me mister, especially if we will be spending much time together on this trek!" Ethian says in jest. Funny that mister is meant as a sign of respect, but it is so far beneath what my real title is! he muses to himself. Ethian continues, smiling "So tell us mister Hawthorne, how good in the field do you need us to be? I am fair with a sword, and am a chosen of Sehanine Moonbow, so I also dabble in godly magics. I am also a proud mapmaker, and sailor extraordinaire!"

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"I am well experienced with traveling, Mister Hawthorne. But more importantly, I have an affinity for the earth, which may prove useful." Argenti says with a boastful smile. She then takes an aside with Sprig, "I hate to rush the fine people here, but how soon until the transcription is finished? The Book of Wonders would prove most useful for this venture."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"I will go find out!" said Sprig, munching on a cookie that he had pulled from his robes. He disappeared for some time, but eventually returned, puffing from coming up the spiral staircase (which was the way into the research room in the tower).

"Just finished! Here it is." he returned to Argenti her Book of Wonders.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
After making all proper arrangements, the newly formed Company departed Candlekeep the following morning. It was a gray day with a light drizzle as they set forth but the winds had calmed and seagulls flew overhead oblivious to the rain. The seeker's guides bid them farewell, and the avowed at the gates recorded each seeker's time at Candlekeep, and told them what remained should they return.

Shedrick carried the majority of his master's travelling supplies. In addition, they began their journey with food bought from the Hearth and four hours later, they stopped on a bluff overlooking the sea for a cold but hearty luncheon. Three hours after that, they were beginning to look forward to their first full rest stop. This being the first day of their journey, most had not travelled this far by foot in quite some time. Ruzmani had never done it. Many of the travellers knew that a good well-used campsite existed a league away. Though it was only mid-afternoon, their legs looked forward to the stop. Some had bought copies of books from the binder's, that they could sit and read during down-time.

This was when Ethian's keen elven eyes spotted an overturned wagon in a ditch ahead. Not far from that lay the carcass of a dead horse - now mostly bones, having been picked over by birds, wild dogs, and other carrion-feeders.

Hawthorne immediately recognised the overturned wagon as the Black Dragon coach that had carried him, Argenti, and Shedrick to Candlekeep.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"What the--!?!" Hawthorne exclaimed upon recognizing the Black Dragon wagon. Without even thinking about it, he immediately withdrew his crossbow and began rushing forward in a panic... barely checking the cord and bolt and making sure it was loaded properly. "Shedrick! Get down! Keep your eyes open! Where's Broun? WHERE'S BROUN?!?"

His eyes began scanning the sides of the road looking for any indications of movement or tracks leading away as he approached the coach down in the ditch...

[Perception check = Nat 1 + 7 = 8]

...but as this was the first time he had ever found himself in this sort of dangerous situation, his flight-or-fight response basically destroyed any sense of perceptiveness that he had been known for as a young man.

"BROUN! BROUN!!!"

Upon reaching the ditch, his frenzied hysteria made him almost miss where the slope into the ditch began and his arms flew out and began waving in circles to hopefully maintain his balance without falling down and into it. "Wha--aaaaaahhh-ahhhhhh!!!"

[Acrobatics check = 10 + 4 = 14]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Their stay in Candlekeep had been just under forty-eight hours. While it was possible that trouble was still about, the incident had taken place nearly two days before.

Shedrick was nearly as distraught as his master. He searched the sides of the road in despair for Broun, hoping not to find his mangled corpse. To his relief, there was no sign of the half-orc driver.

The coach had been pulled by four horses, and there was only the remains of a single one.

OOC: I'd happily take Perception or Survival checks from anyone who wants to make them. Investigation would be good too. Pick your skill, but just make one check.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti goes to comfort Hawthorne. "We will find him." She somberly states before clasping the distraught man, and pointing his crossbow in a safe direction.

After a moment to make sure he was stable, the genasi turns to the rest of the group. "I'm not the best at this, but here is what I know: We are looking for Broun, a middle-aged Half-Orc man, and possibly three other horses that were pulling the wagon. We have some of the best minds from Candlekeep here, I am confident we can figure out where he might have gone!"

Despite her speech, Agenti herself wasn't having much luck finding clues. "Shedrick, a moment if you please? Can you tell if anything has been stolen? It might help to to know if we are to be on the lookout for bandits or beasts."

Remove ads