log in or register to remove this ad

 

A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Beregost
Day 3/Morning
Round 0

Ruznami didn’t have too much to do during the trip. He had Archimedes keep an eye ahead, though the caravan proved safe enough, at least from wandering monsters if not exorbitant tax collectors. He kept an eye on Broun, making the driver as comfortable as possible, occasionally sharing a sip from his flask with the half-orc.

By the time they reached Beregost, the dwarven wizard was more than ready for a real bed again. Unfortunately, those were taken. At least they were just in time for some food.

(OOC: Thinking about it, no combat on this day and a room at night means healing spells for Broun?)

***

Arcane Ward: 0/11 hp

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 28/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

log in or register to remove this ad

DEFCON 1

Legend
Exiting the final inn and bounding down the steps back to the carriage, Hawthorne shakes his head and announces to all. "No rooms here either. We are right out of luck. At this point I think our only option is to take the carriage outside of town a short ways, unhook the horses, then set up our own camp again. It's a warm night... it shouldn't be any worse than last night's sleep."

He steps up onto the steps of the carriage and speaks to Shedrick up front. "At this point I don't think we're in any position to waste more timing getting overland to the Sunsets. I know Broun was meant to take the carriage back to the Gate, but we need it more than mother and father do back home. So let's drive this thing out of town south a little ways and from what I understand there's a fire circle or two slightly off the road for travelers who get stuck in just this position. We can set up camp and make ourselves some supper."

Making sure the footman heard his decree, Hawthorne climbs back into the carriage and shuts the door.
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
Shedrick made a hand motion like a tip of the hat (though he wasn't wearing one) and he climbed up onto the driver's perch. Broun was well enough to join him there, though he gratefully allowed the youth to hold the reins. He spoke briefly to Hawthorn through a little window between the driver's perch and the coach's interior, saying, "I'm happy to see things all the way with you, sir. I'll be right soon enough, thanks to you and your crew. We'll be needing a fourth horse for a full team, and her front right wheel is loose from the roll-over. Some repairs are in order. I've a nephew that works as a wheelwright by the crossroads about ten miles south of here. He'd likely know a local horse trader that we could trust to fix us up."

Then they were off, and they found the campsite just as Hawthorne had described.

OOC: If anyone wants, there was time for a brief errand in town, though it was too late for the markets. Ruznami, for example, had a meal at the Inn before rejoining the coach. The Caravan remained behind, as they had some side-trading to do in Beregost.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Beregost
Day 3/Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami sighed. Another night under the stars. Well, he had asked for adventure. He just needed to toughen up more, like his companions. As they set up camp, the dwarven wizard went about the ritual to set a warning alarm around their fire and bedrolls.

Won’t be set off by tiny woodland creatures or our party. Audible alarm.
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti pulls out her bedroll, woven in the style of her homelands. After laying it on the ground, she gives a pause, as if a thought had suddenly popped into her head.
"Should we have a watch tonight? We may be close to town, but town's aren't without their share of troubles."
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Ethian is happy to be surrounded by nature. He wouldn’t have minded a bed, but this was by no means his second choice. “I’ll gladly start the watch companions” he tells the group, and he looks at the trees and the shrubs that are nearby.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The Black Dragon Agents spent a peaceful night in a small, seldom-used campsite a league south of Beregost. In the morning, they travelled another league south, to a crossroads where a small roadside wagon-repair shop sat nestled between two large oak trees. The coach had begun an uncomfortable rattle from a loose axle, and a list to one side, from when it had been overturned.

Broun jumped down from the driver's perch when he saw his nephew come to greet them. He was on the mend, but he was still not fully recovered from his ordeal and he stumbled on the landing. His nephew was a very large, well-muscled half-orc, who caught the older man easily and embraced him.

The two discussed the incident, the mission, and the repair needs of the coach, as well as family, while the others got out, stretched their legs, and plotted the path they would take across the Greenfields. The Coast Way continued south to Amn. From Amn's most northern city, Nashkel, the Uldoon Trail (a well-maintained trade route) traveled north-east across the Greenfields to Berdusk. But Hawthorne was confident that if they headed east from here, they could shave many days off that out-of-their-way trip.

He would just need to navigate along criss-crossing and poorly maintained trails and roads that belonged to ancient elvish kingdoms now long gone.

OOC: This introduces @Kobold Stew Crock Jon, who will insist on coming along to maintain the coach and protect his uncle from further harm. Hawthorne (and anyone who wants to help him) should give me an Intelligence (navigation) roll and we will move this ahead. I'm enjoying both the RP and the Journey, but I recognise that we should get to the actual adventure soon-ish. (Though I'll probably do another encounter along the road first.)
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon gives his uncle an affectionate hug and immediately puts the wagon on blocks, so he can repair the wheel. He waves at the other passengers, but quickly looks away. Some might think that designates shyness, but he's really just focusing on helping his uncle. The man has done so much for him, for so long.

Once the wheel is off he goes in to fetch another one, except when he comes out he doesn't have a wheel, ony some water for the travellers. It's not cold (Crock Jon was once told that cold water on a hot day can make you sick) but it slakes the thirst. Only once he's done that does he remember about the wheel and goes in to fetch it.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
South of Beregost
Day 4/Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami found a spot in the shade of the carriage repair. He pulled out a book he had taken from the library to aid them in this adventure, flipping through the pages a bit. As the others started to discuss and plan the route across the greenfields, the dwarven wizard came over to offer his own input, though he wasn’t a navigator.

General Intelligence check: 1D20+3 = [7]+3 = 10

***

Arcane Ward: 0/11 hp

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 28/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Crock Jon gives his uncle an affectionate hug and immediately puts the wagon on blocks, so he can repair the wheel. He waves at the other passengers, but quickly looks away. Some might think that designates shyness, but he's really just focusing on helping his uncle. The man has done so much for him, for so long.

Once the wheel is off he goes in to fetch another one, except when he comes out he doesn't have a wheel, ony some water for the travellers. It's not cold (Crock Jon was once told that cold water on a hot day can make you sick) but it slakes the thirst. Only once he's done that does he remember about the wheel and goes in to fetch it.

Ethian accepted the drink with a smile, and as Crock Jon headed to the fix the wheel, he asked if he could come along to learn. As the half orc was working his trade, Ethian asked a few questions, and it was obvious that the elf knew a thing or two about working wood. He also offered magical support if required to repair any cracks or damaged components.

OOC: FYI, Ethian is proficient in Carpenter's tools & Woodcarver’s tools! ;-)
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
As Crock Jon helps with both Broun and the wheel repair, Hawthorne extends a formal greeting to the young man. "Many thanks to you. Your uncle has been a tremendous help to me and the Black Dragon Gate Consortium, and I feel responsible for what has happened thus far. Shedrick? Make sure Jon is paid timely and well for the work he is doing for us, please."

Knowing they were going to be resting for a bit as the repair was done, Hawthorne takes out Argenti's medallion and brings it up to his face. Having not really figured out yet how the whole process works, he stares at it and says loudly and slowly "ARGENTI? WE - ARE - STOPPING - FOR - REPAIRS - TO - THE - WAGON. WOULD - YOU - LIKE - TO - COME - OUT - FOR - A - BIT? IT - IS - VERY - NICE - OUT - HERE - WEATHER - WISE."

A little while later, after downing the received the glass of water and wiping his brow of sweat and grime, Hawthorne pulls out the maps in his possession and spreads them out for all to look at. "So getting to the Sunsets... we have two choices. We can travel further south on the Coast Way to Nashkel and then take the Uldoon Trail back up northeast...or we can cut across from here and skirt the southern border of the Wood of Sharp Teeth."

OOC: Intelligence (Navigation Tools) check (unproficient): [15] + 3 = 18

He sucks air through his teeth as he studies the map, trying to remember any of the various trails that the BDGC might have used in years past. Feeling fairly confident in his memories of the area, he glances at the others around the map and shrugs his shoulders slightly. "I'm pretty sure I know some safe trails south of the wood that can take us east quickly to either Greenest or all the way to Berdusk... but it definitely isn't as easy a route as the Uldoon. It really depends on how tired our butts are sitting cramped in this carriage. The Uldoon Trail would be safer, but would probably add several additional more days of travel."

He chuckles to himself and raises his eyebrows. "I guess it comes down to whether any of you have family to visit in Nashkel, or really have a desire to go see the ruins of Durlag's Tower, cause we are probably going to pass by it if we travel directly east." But after he mentions that, he turns to Shedrick and shakes his head. "And no, we are NOT going to stop there on the way to go treasure hunting. I've heard enough stories of that deathtrap that it'd be easier to just kill ourselves here and now rather than let that dwarf's bloody citadel do it."
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
As he sees Hawthorne pull out his map, Ethian leans in a bit and takes a look. "This is a fine map" he tells the rogue and he nods at the Hawthorne's assessment of the best path forward.

OOC: In case it is useful, Ethian is proficient in mapmaking tools, as well as navigator tools (and he is equipped with both). he doesn't mention it or make a fuss about it if Hawthorne's recommendation is good - I want this wise elf to be humble ;-)
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti materializes on the other side of her amulet, eye to eye with Hawthorn, while clasping her ears. "You don't have to be so loud. Inside, I can hear with the amulet as if it was my ear."

After a moment to collect herself, the genasi goes to great Crock Jon with a big smile. "Jon, was it? My name is Argenti, pleased to meet you! Your uncle is impressive, I'm sure it runs in the family."

During the route planning meeting, the warlock can't help but to feel a little lost. "The 'Wood of Sharp Teeth' was it? Quite the foreboding name. " She pauses for a moment, as if her attention was drifting elsewhere. "That said, I can understand the need to get out of the carriage sooner, even if I don't have to ride in it all the time."

OOC: I just realized Argenti is an inch taller than Hawthorne. Someone suddenly popping into view right in front of my face would give me a shock :)
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon warms instantly to the group that is so welcoming. None of them seem to be boxing fans, and none of them recognize him, or if they do, they don't say anything instead, they seem humble and accepting. Unc's got in with a good group this time, he's thinking to himself.

To Hawthorne, he is polite: "It means a lot for you to say that, sir. My Uncle is a special man, and I want to see him kept safe. It looks like you all are doing that. You have my thanks." He offers a big, meaty hand, itself heavily scarred and calloused from a history of fighting, though it might be mistaken for a lot of heavy labour.

When Ethian rolls up his sleeves, Jon is astounded. Most would leave and go for a meal. This one seems to be skilled with a wedge and a lathe, and between the two of them they make short work of the wheel. As they work, Jon offers to fix the axle as well, and between the two of them (Jon holding up the cart, and guiding the elf as he works beneath prying off the bracket) it is done in an hour. "Thank you," Jon says humbly. "Noy often a proper adventurer will get his hands dirty with menial work. Let me get you some more to drink."

When Argenti approaches, Jon feels he needs to say "I've met a Genasi once," and instantly realizes how gauche and provincial he must sound. "I'm sorry. I meant no offense. You are very kind. you'll watch out for Uncle Broun, will you? He's the only one I've got."

"Where are you headed after this?"
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
When Ethian rolls up his sleeves, Jon is astounded. Most would leave and go for a meal. This one seems to be skilled with a wedge and a lathe, and between the two of them they make short work of the wheel. As they work, Jon offers to fix the axle as well, and between the two of them (Jon holding up the cart, and guiding the elf as he works beneath prying off the bracket) it is done in an hour. "Thank you," Jon says humbly. "Noy often a proper adventurer will get his hands dirty with menial work. Let me get you some more to drink."

Ethian nods with a smile “There is no such thing as menial work, and any work done with attention to detail creates a piece of art. And yes, I will gladly accept that drink!
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
"GAHHHHHH!!!" Hawthorne exclaims, as Argenti apparates not more than a foot past his hand holding the necklace. The shock makes the young man jerk his arm and let go of the necklace... which flips up a couple feet into the air. "WHOA! WHAT?!? WHAHHH!" he shouts, as the necklace drops and he tries to grab it... each time bumbling and bouncing off his two hands, flipping up and down and back and forth. "NO-- WHAT-- I-- GAH--" until finally he gets his left hand on the chain as it dangles about 18 inches off the ground.

Hawthorne slowly stands up, not looking into the eyes of Argenti until he finally reaches a standing position. Then, with all the remaining grace he can muster, he looks at her and hands the necklace back.

"Your necklace, Miss."

He then turns and slowly walks away. Far away. Far, far away. At least 10 feet.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Between Crock Jon and Ethian, they were able to make repairs to the wheel and the loose axle in record time.

Not far away was a horse breeder, and Crock Jon closed his shop and travelled with them to do introductions. By then, he had decided that he must accompany them on the mission, if only to see that his uncle was safe (but also to see the world). Shedrick used the Consortium's money to buy a new fourth horse, and they were off, following the path that Hawthorne had discussed with Ruznami.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon gets a drink for Ethian -- another air-temperature beverage, but this one seems to be some fermented fruit juice, with a bit of a kick. Jon has another mug of water.

"It's clear that someone with your skills doesn't need another carpenter, but I spoke to Mr Miller here and he says it's okay if I keep my uncle company, assuming it's alright with you and your friends. I don't have much to offer, but I can lift things and can maybe help out caring for the animals, if you'd let me."

He adds, "You wouldn't need to pay me much, as long as I was fed and kept. And I can bunk with Unc." He looks hopeful, almost pleading. He would be unrecognizable to his fans, if they were to see him.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
South of Beregost
Day 4/Afternoon
Round 0

“If the Uldoon Trail is safer, and we aren’t in a hurry, why not take that?” Ruznami commented with a shrug. But it wasn’t his decision. He simply took his place back in the carriage, now with an extra member of the party in the large half orc cartwright. He occasionally sent Archimedes flying on ahead, but made sure his tiny burrowing owl got enough time to rest, as well.

***

Arcane Ward: 0/11 hp

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 28/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top