A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
After a healthy trek, the group had decided to plan the attack on the other side of the hill next to the gnoll camp.

Ethian did his best to draw a map on the ground based on Ruz’ detailed description. Even though it was cursory in nature, it was clear that Ethian was skilled and knew what he was doing. The level of artistic ability was also somewhat disconcerting, honed by decades and decades of leisurely practice.

we need to make sure there isn’t a caster, and if there is, we need to take it out quickly.” Looking at Hawthorne, he adds “Getting your friend Broun safe and sound should be our priority. A simple subterfuge, with most of us engaging the gnolls from the west, and a few coming from the North to get Broun could work. I think we should minimize the bloodshed until we know what their intentions are. What say you all?”

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"After seeing what happened to the refugees from Elturel, I have no love for the bandits that plague this coast." Argenti pauses to perform a gesture that, while unfamiliar to most of her companions, could easily be recognized as a brief prayer. "Though I agree Broun's safety should be our primary concern. And I have just the spell to mask our approach, which should be helpful no matter what we end up doing."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Road
Day 1/Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami swallowed as Hawthorne said they should go after the gnolls. This wasn’t a simple exploration mission! The dwarven librarian looked around at the others. None of them seemed fazed by the facts. Ruz didn’t want to seem cowardly. He pulled his warhammer and gripped it tightly. He had practiced with the weapon, but never actually used it. There wasn’t much call for braining gnolls in Candlekeep. He took a deep breath to steady his nerves, but said nothing of his inexperience.

Stealth: 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21

As the others made their plans, Ruznami sat to the side and laid out a small cloth and looked to be performing a ritual.

OOC: If there is time, Ruznami will ritually cast Detect Magic (to hopefully notice a spellcaster) and Comprehend Languages (to understand gnoll). Should take about 20 minutes. If he only has time for 1, which do you think he should do first, then?

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Both Ethian and Argenti's comments made a lot of sense, and Hawthorne whispered to the group "If Argenti can mask our approach, I will circle north around the tent and get over to Broun if the rest of you want to cause the distraction to the south. Shedrick? Why don't you stay back here, all right?"

[Stealth check: 2 + 4 = 6]
[If Pass Without Trade was cast: Stealth check: 2 + 4 + 10 = 16]

(For pete's sake! My first two rolls have been crap! LOL!)

Last edited:

Kaliban nods to the others. He pulls his shield from his back and draws his blade. He scans the camp as he moves into position. Noticing the horses he gets an idea. He whispers to the others.

"I think I might be able to free the horses. They should bolt with the Gnolls so close. It would make for a good distraction."

OOC: Stealth Check: 1d20+3 21 with pass without trace up that would be a 31.

If I can use my TK power to free the horses I will do so. It has a 30 ft range so will need to get that close.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Satisfied, Ethian says "Good, so it seems we have a plan. Hawthorne you head north and go and rescue your friend. We will be the diversion, and attack from the west. For those of us attacking, I can create an area of twilight that will attract the gnoll's attention and will bolster us. Tell me, can you all see in the darkness of the night?"

Ethian knows that his dwarven and gnomish companions will be able to see in the twilight, but isn't sure about Argenti and Hawthorne

Looking at Ruz, he adds: "Before we go, can you ask Archimedes to go up high and make sure no gnoll reinforcements are in the area? I'd hate for us to engage in a fight, and have to fight off reinforcements."

OOC: Assuming that there are no additional apparent threats in the area, I say we're good to go after Ruz' rituals, and Argenti's spell.

After the discussion, Ethian will use eyes of the night on Hawthorne (1h darkvision), just in case.

Ethian will also use Vigilant Blessing to give Hawthorne advantage on his initiative.

And before we go, once Hawthorne is in position and if all agree, he will use Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary so everybody 30ft from Ethian gets 7 temporary HP per round

Stealth check: 9 + 10 from pass without trace = 19

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ruznami sent his familiar high into the air, and the little owl reported that no other threats were nearby. Ethian's plan began with no major mishaps. Argenti's magic caused the very ground beneath their feet to stay silent as they walked, and the rocks to quietly shuffle into an undisturbed pattern as they passed. This, and the sight-cover of the large tents, gave Hawthorne and Kaliban the help they needed to approach the camp unseen.

From behind a tent, Kaliban caused the horses' tethers to come undone. For a moment, the horses stood as if they were still hitched, but then one of them suddenly sniffed and bolted, and the others followed. The gnolls yipped and growled in their strange tongue. With his language-ritual completed, Ruznami understood them to be discussing what had happened and the suggestion was made that two would go to catch the horses while the others would fan out and look for trouble. It would not be long before they were spotted.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Gnolls
GnollCamp1revised.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Bushes, Posts.
Visibility: Bright Light (It's daytime)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Hawthorne AC14 HP 31/31 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 35/35 HD 4/4 PP10* SED 4/4 (d6's)
Ethian AC19* HP 27/27 HD 4/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 1/1
Argenti AC14 HP 31/31 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 2/2
Ruznami AC15 HP 26/26 HD 4/4 PP10* PInv15 SS 4/4 3/3
(NPCs)
Shedrick AC14 HP 18/18 HD 3/3 PP11
GnollBoss(G1) AC14 HP 32/32 PP11
Gnolls AC15 HP@22 PP10
-G2 22/22; G3 22/22
Hyena AC11 HP 9/9 PP13*
GM: Begin Round One

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As he gets in behind the large tent to the north, Hawthorne peaks out as the various gnolls behind spreading out, leaving only one close enough to possibly notice him sneaking in behind Broun. He checks the scene, sees what's ahead of him and thinks... "Let's give the folks a few seconds and hope they draw that one away. Don't want to get Broun caught in the middle if I try and untie him and it notices me."

[Hawthorne will hold his action. He will wait until the others attack to the south and Gnoll 5 moves or turns that direction, distracted by the combat, Once Gnoll 5 is looking or has moved away, Hawthorne will sneak up to Broun and attempt to release him from his bonds.]

[Initiative: 12 + 2 = 14]
[Stealth: 17 + 4 + 10 = 31]
[Thieve's Tools (if necessary): 7 + 4 = 11]

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti called upon the earth itself to help her comrades.

The very rocks and dirt of the land had moved aside to absorb their footfalls, then back to mask their path. Even seeing the traveling group would prove difficult. There would be a convenient dust cloud here and there, while light would be reflected in strange directions, glinting off of surfaces just long enough to distract the eyes of sentries.

This secretive spell was the first thing she remembered receiving praise for, and it always brought back the warm memories of how her path started.

Today however, the spell was being used as a herald of violence.

"Shedrick." Argenti whispers. "If all goes smoothly, Hawthorne will be coming around the tents to the north, with Broun in tow." The genasi hands the man a potion of healing. "If it doesn't, you, or they, may need this."

The warlock creeps into cover behind a rock and breathes in before making an exaggerated punching motion. "HYAH!" A glowing green crystal shard emanates from her fist, landing forcefully in the gnoll's chest before shattering back into nothingness.

"If that doesn't get their attention, nothing will."

OOC: I believe the signal to go is something happening with the horses. But I'm posting now because I happen to have the time, so feel free to make this happen after that. Or not, depending on if it makes sense. At any rate, this is a full round.

Argenti has Devil's Sight, which gives her Darkvision.
Concentrating on Pass without Trace.
Giving Shedrick a potion of healing with object interaction.
Moving to C-11, and taking cover behind the rock. I am hoping the dim light from Twilight Sanctuary allows for this short hop without too much trouble.
Casting Eldritch Blast as an action, with advantage.
Gaining 7 TPH from being in the Twilight Sanctuary.

initiative : 1D20+2 = [12]+2 = 14
Stealth: 1D20+2+10 = [15]+2+10 = 27
Eldritch Blast with Advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+6 = [5, 10]+6 = 16
Eldritch Blast Damage 2 is bludgeoning the rest is force: 1D10+4+2 = [1]+4+2 = 7

Remove ads